Stream from desktop PC to AudioStream?

StarStuff

Got my AudioStream a couple months ago and really enjoy it. Flawless sound quality and very nice and convenient. Finally a new release from MedEl that excites me! I'm enjoying it. Problem is, I probably use my PC for sound applications/music more than my phone, so in those cases, I'm sill using my DAI or just regular headphones. 

I know that it is not possible to stream directly from a PC to the AudiStream, however, I have seen a couple Mac/iPhone users mention they can stream from their Mac's by relaying from their iPhone. So I'm wondering if there is a similar option to do that for Android/PC users? Anyone have success with this? 

You're right, I know how to do this from Mac to iPhone using Airfoil.  https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/   However I do not know if there is as competing product as Airfoil for Windows is no longer under development.  

However, after some digging around, AudioRelay seems promising for streaming from PC to Android here:  https://audiorelay.net/

Please let me know your results. I'm interested in "hearing" about the results! :)

Couple more options I came across:

Reflector:  https://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector

For Android, there are many options.  Here are some:

I think you get the idea. Basically you want to "Stream" to a device that will receive the windows broadcast signal. I think Miracast is the default?  So if you can get a Miracast receive for your android phone, then you should be set!

Good luck

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

When you use AirFoil to stream audio from your Mac to your iPhone, then you listen streaming from the iPhone to AudioStream….

how is the audio quality?

is there a noticeable audio delay?

does it work for all audio from the Mac including video calls?

Hi @Mary Beth!  Going through your questions...

• Audio Quality is great.  No quality degradation.
  • There is an audio delay, maybe 1 second.
  • When you us Airfoil on the Mac, you can choose the source to transmit such as a certain app, or group of apps, or all system audio!

So for example, you can have only spotify sent to the AudioStream, then have the rest of the system go through it's default system audio output such as its speakers.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

cool!  Have you used AudioStream with airfoil from your Mac to your iPhone for zoom calls?

Are you experiencing any connectivity issues with your AudioStream?

No i have not used AudioStream for Zoom/Video calls. But i have used for phone calls obviously. 

Side. Note:  If you recall I was the one that recommend the Bose QC35s!  :) Also, I have been also using bose 700's and the new Apple AirPods Max headphones ($$$$!).  Love both for different reasons but the sound qualities are very similar but the noise-cancellation on the AirPods Max OTE headphones is just AMAZING.  It has 9 mics (!) to monitor for external sounds!  

I have had connectivity issues from time to time where i needed to restart (remove & re-insert battery cover) to re-connect to the iPhone.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

yes I remember you well!!!!  Smile

I had BOSE QC2 headphones and then purchased BOSE QC35 BT headphones.  I love them.  They are awesome.  

I value your reviews on audio quality!

Apple AirPod Max headphones—— when you are on a call do you hear yourself well?  (Are you bilateral CI?)

@MallaRuth was just mentioning AirPod MAX to me last week.  They are expensive but no more expensive than purchasing bilateral AudioStreams.

I would love to hear your reviews/comparisons of AudioStream, BOSE QC35 and Apple AirPod MAX.

Oh my where do i begin!!!  

Ok so ...  The AirPods Max have 3 modes of noise-cancellation and they can be set easily using the nose control button on the headphones itself, on the Mac, or within connected iOS devices.  

The 3 settings are:

• Off - Don't hear myself as much 
  • Transparency -Hhear myself and surroundings pretty well. Transparency mode lets outside sound in, so you can hear what's going on around you.
  • Noise Cancellation - Definitely do not hear myself nor surroundings

Oh by the way, the fit well over my ears and Sonnet 2s.  I find them a bit more comfortable than the Bose headphones (especially with glasses) but are a little bit heavier than the Bose headphones.  Here is a pretty accurate review of them:  https://www.soundguys.com/apple-airpods-max-review-44975/

Hope this helps!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Dennisjbr

Which option do you find yourself using the most?  AudioStream or AirPod MAX?

AirPods MAX because i'm in videoconference calls and the audio clarity.  Can't use AudioStream with computer so I have the AudioLink option, but the problems I have with it are:

• Range is not that great (like i can't go into kitchen while on a long conference call)-- Distance is about 30-40 feet.  I feel like I must be within 10 feet of computer before noise cuts out. 
  • Constant static sounds with AudioLink.  I did reduce the mic sensitivity on my Sonnet 2s and it did reduce the static noise.
  • Full hi-fidelity of sounds.

I forgot to mention, what I also like about the Bose headphones better are:

• You can "mute" yourself while away from the computer/phone by pressing the mute button (on the NC 700s -- don't remember if QC25/35 can do this)
  • Better noise-cancellation of your surroundings for others on your call (Not just for you).

Again, so much information to digest and hadn't thought about laying this all out on a single page/post but I should!  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

I have AudioLink and have the same problems.  It’s not the best connectivity device for me.

That would be an interesting spreadsheet of comparisons!

Are you using Sonnet or Sonnet 2?

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

That would be an interesting spreadsheet of comparisons!

Sonnet 2!  I have Rondo 1, and...... I just submitted info for a Rondo 3 upgrade so I *might* have that upgrade before the end of the month. :) 

I am hoping the Rondo 3s will have better BT connectivity, even if i have to have the AudioLink especially for online workouts (such as the Peloton). The sound quality for the Artones is not as great or in stereo like the AudioLink or headphones.  Also, with the Rondo 1's I feel like i have to wrap the Artone around my head under a headband so it is loud enough.  The rondo 1s don't pick up artones as well and is yet another device to handle. It's such a hassle now to get a workout going nowadays with all of these devices, and I don't dare use my Sonnets for workouts.  They are precious and don't want to ruin them with moisture.  

Any thoughts/advice you'd like to share? :) 

So great catching up with you again @Mary Beth!  I aspire to contribute to this forum at least 50% as much as you do!  (I still am busy working quite a bit!)

Cheers,

-Dennis

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

It is great connecting with you here Dennis!

When you tried the Artone was it charged by a pin charger?  The version after that charges with a micro usb and that neckloop is super loud.  No problem at all with volume.  But, it is telecoil induction sound quality and it is blended stereo- same sound on both sides.  I like it for speech.  It is my go to device for audiobooks, podcasts, long telephone calls.

I borrowed AudioStreams and loved them - especially for music.  The true stereo instrumental effect is splendid. My audiologist made a separate AudioStream program with sensitivity at zero because I like the 100/0 mix when multitasking with noise (vacuum, exhaust fans, sewing machine, lawn mower).  But I presently do not have AudioStreams to see how that program actually sounds.

I will be curious to hear how you find AudioLink and Rondo 3.  From what I’ve heard so far, reports are mixed just like they are with Sonnet/Sonnet2 users.  

If you are working out in one room, have you tried using a cable to connect your AudioLink to a BT dongle.  Disconnect AudioLink’s BT connect to your processor.  AudioLink functions better when cabled to the sound source for me.  Then BT connect your phone and the dongle.  Sounds travels via BT from phone to dongle.  Then by cable into AudioStream.  Then by proprietory wireless connection to Sonnet2.

if you don’t mind wearing headbands and being cabled to your sound source, CozyPhones flat stereo speakers have impressive sound for their price.

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

If you are working out in one room, have you tried using a cable to connect your AudioLink to a BT dongle.  Disconnect AudioLink’s BT connect to your processor.  AudioLink functions better when cabled to the sound source for me.  Then BT connect your phone and the dongle.  Sounds travels via BT from phone to dongle.  Then by cable into AudioStream.  Then by proprietory wireless connection to Sonnet2.

But this works only for music and not for phone calls right? I need to use both the mic and speakers/audio.   I'm not sure i understand the BT dongle statement?

Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

I used that set up with AudioLink to get a much better range and better connectivity for listening to audio from my phone (not phone calls)

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

I used that set up with AudioLink to get a much better range and better connectivity for listening to audio from my phone (not phone calls)

Thanks, what is the BT dongle? is it yet another device or part of the AudioLink package?  Again does it work with conference calls or just for listening?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

There are many different BT dongles/adapters. I bought mine on Amazon and it has a mic to pick up my voice for phone calls so it can be used that way.  I doubt this would be the best audio quality.  I just used it as a way to make the AudioLink more usable.

Another HP member did the same thing with a different BT adapter.

APEKX Clip Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Headphones, Headset, Speaker, Wireless Receiver with MIC for Hands-Free Call and Music https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUXYVOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YHYEMJH84TW4E53KM5R0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So wait how does this fit into the overall picture? Sorry. You use AudioLink with this and with iPHone? is that right? Confused.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

I was trying to think of a way for you to stream audio while exercising with Rondo 3.

It is just a way to greatly expand the AudioLink range but you lose the separate left/right instrumentals.

AudioLink just is not the best connectivity device for me.

I am sure you can figure out a better option to stream to Rondo 3.

If I had Rondo 3, I would use the Artone.

well cant i just use the audiolink? i thought rondo 3 had better BT connectivity.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

You definitely can.  I was responding to your post about the difficulties you experience with Sonnet and AudioLink.

AudioLink is getting mixed reviews from Sonnet, Sonnet2 and Rondo 3 users.  Some encounter difficulties and others like it.  Hopefully you will like it.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with AudioLink and Rondo 3.  Have you heard yet if your Rondo 3s have been approved?

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Have you heard yet if your Rondo 3s have been approved?

Yes I have been by insurance and things are being processed. I am worried now I won’t be able to use the bee rondos as I would like especially for workout activities. I like them because they are more water / sweat resistant than sonnets. Now I’m worried if I would pull the plug. They are better than rondo 1 and they don’t work at all with flexibility of audio link. 

thoughts? There is no return policy. Eeeek

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

I don’t have Rondo 3 processors to test with my AudioLink.  Sorry.

Why in the earlier thread were you suggesting the BT dongle again?  Can you illustrate what the overall picture/schematic looks like?  

LIke Device 1--> Device 2 --> device 3 --> Rondo 3

Thanks @Mary Beth!