Stream from desktop PC to AudioStream?

StarStuff

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

I used a BT adapter because the range from my phone to the AudioLink was too small.  I wanted to be further from my phone and still streaming audio.

phone and BT adapter are connected under BT settings on phone (AudioLink is NOT connected by BT to phone)

BT adapter is cabled into AudioLink 

AudioLink is paired with processors

It greatly increased the range.  It did not improve audio quality.

22 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dennisjbr

I used a BT adapter because the range from my phone to the AudioLink was too small.  I wanted to be further from my phone and still streaming audio.

phone and BT adapter are connected under BT settings on phone (AudioLink is NOT connected by BT to phone)

AudioLink is paired with processors

It greatly increased the range.  It did not improve audio quality.

Sorry the quality did not improve but this does look promising.  But what I think is going on here really is the 2.4 GHZ frequency from the AudioLink.  So let me see if i can illustrate back what you wrote:

[Phone] <-- (Bluetooth signal) --> [TVB BT Adapter] <-- (3.5mm to 2.5mm Cable) --> [AudioLink] <-- (2.4GHZ signal) --> [Med-El Processor(s)] 

Where bold in brackets denote a device like [Device] and italicized in parentheses denotes a connection like (connection).  

Does this look right? If so, then when you walk away from the computer, you are carrying both the TVB BT Adapter and the AudioLink around with you, correct?

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Dennisjbr said:

Also, to be clear, what kind of cable are you using from BT adapter to AudioLink and does it work bi-directionally both for both listening (speaker) and speaking (mic)?

Thanks!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

Yes you are right.

well I used a lighter, more flexible cable 2.5 to 3.5 (plugged onto the lightning adapter of my iPhone) instead of the heavy, stiff cable & adapter on the kit.

My BT adapter has a clip do it attached to my shirt.  iPhone in my pocket .

My BT adapter has a return mic but I did not try a phone call- just audio streaming.

Let’s hope AudioLink works well with your Rondo 3 and then you won’t need to explore this option.

20 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

well I used a lighter, more flexible cable 2.5 to 3.5 (plugged onto the lightning adapter of my iPhone) instead of the heavy, stiff cable & adapter on the kit.

Ah yes the ligntning to 3.5 adapter from apple. This is if you are using your iphone. For me, it's about the conference calls on the computer.  Now my brain wheels starting to move again.   So....   do you mind sending a photo of how all this is connected together with all the cables to audiolink?  :D Maybe that will answer a lot of my questions...

Thanks again!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

There is only one cable going between the AudioLink and the BT adapter (2.5 to 3.5).

oh duh that's right. I'm overthinking this. I also remembered that I also have yet another option I used in the past that worked well. The Roger Select system (before AudioLink was released).  Only for Sonnets and require its own battery covers. I will say, however it worked really well because it was an FM system for listening, then you used it's circular dish (that hangs around your neck) as a mic.  Anyone dizzy from all the options yet?  :D 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

tech is fun!

Select works for all Med-El CI processors.  Each processor has different receiver options.  The Roger 21 receiver option is only for Sonnet/Sonnet2.

Definitely the Select out performs the AudioLink for me.  

Phonak is releasing a new transmitter (mic) in the Roger family called Roger ON in a few months.  It works with our CIs too as long as we have the appropriate Roger receiver/receivers.

The multi beam multiple mic technology with its adaptive feature in noise of the Select and the Roger ON is amazing.

16 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

The multi beam multiple mic technology with its adaptive feature in noise of the Select and the Roger ON is amazing.

Wow! How did you come to find out about the Roger ON? Do you have any reading materials I can catch up on ?

On 6/1/2021 at 11:18 PM, Dennisjbr said:

You're right, I know how to do this from Mac to iPhone using Airfoil.  https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/   However I do not know if there is as competing product as Airfoil for Windows is no longer under development.  

However, after some digging around, AudioRelay seems promising for streaming from PC to Android here:  https://audiorelay.net/

Please let me know your results. I'm interested in "hearing" about the results! :)

Thanks, Dennis. I actually checked out AudioRelay a few days ago and it sucks. the latency renders it unusable, at least with my setup and wifi. It's possible it will work for others, but I'm skeptical. It's a shame, because it was really easy to setup and use, and there was no issue getting the audio to flow through the BT to AudioStream. The sound was just horribly distorted and laggy.

Possibly this is my own wifi (coverage is spotty in my house, so I use a repeater), so I would be interested in hearing other peoples' experiences with AudioRelay.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading this conversation with interest; thanks @Mary Bethand @Dennisjbr! I took delivery of AudioLink yesterday and have set it up and tested it today. I use bilateral Sonnet 1s. My thoughts so far:

• Sound quality when streaming music from iPhone via the 3.5 cable = awful. Crackly and degraded.
  • Sound quality when streaming from MacBook = pretty good when connected via 3.5 cable. When I used the docking station, the sound went very bassy and the vocals disappeared.
  • Range is terrible - it cuts off or crackles if I walk any distance away from my desk - I have a standing desk and like to move around.
  • I will use it mainly for work video calls on my MacBook. I wondered if my voice is picked up by the AudioLink mic? I'm concerned others will struggle to hear me, since it needs to be cabled into my MacBook and quite a distance from my mouth.
  • I'm also interested in the workaround that Mary Beth suggested, using a BT adaptor to improve the range - this would also help with the mic situation. Has anybody tried this for video calls?

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Under settings in the various video meeting platforms, we can select the incoming and outgoing audio.  I do this when using the podcast mic for outgoing but using built in computer speaker for incoming.

So you may be able to select the AudioLink for incoming and select the computer mic for outgoing to pick up your voice.

or

use a BT adapter to connect via BT to the computer.  Select it both for incoming and outgoing.  Clip it onto your shirt.  Cable the AudioLink to it.

@Mary Beth thank you, that is helpful. I caught up with another conversation as well about extending the range of AudioLink, some good ideas to try out! I am surprised by the limited functionality of the product, but it's good to know that there are things to try.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

keep us posted on what works best for you- with the AudioLink or a different connectivity option.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, Dennisjbr said:

If you recall I was the one that recommend the Bose QC35s!

Do you find that they exhibit notable latency when used with the IOS system? I shred away from them because they supposedly had a high latency and ended up with a pair of Cowin headphones that have no noticeable latency, but aren’t very good at noise cancellation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

I have used my BOSE QC35 headphones while watching many movies on my iPad while traveling.  They worked great for me.  I didn’t notice a latency issue.

But @Dennisjbr has BOSE and also AirPod MAX and possibly others (smile) so he will have more info on comparing latency.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eric in Tulsa said:

ut aren’t very good at noise cancellation. 

Thanks for tagging me @Mary Beth.  I don't hear much latency at all with AirPods Max, and they EXCEL at noise-cancellation. Even better than Bose.  My Audiologist tried them out for the first time and she was just baffled she could not here me talking (almost yelling) at her!  She loved them, but not the price tag!  :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think @MallaRuth had plans to listen to a friend’s set of AirPod MAX headphones recently.  What did you think of them Ruth?

52 minutes ago, Dennisjbr said:

I don't hear much latency at all with AirPods Max, and they EXCEL at noise-cancellation.

Yikes, the price!! They better be good at noise cancellation. I'm wondering now about my Peltor electronic hearing protectors. They have Bluetooth and they are -32db noise cancellation. 

Well you can always just purchase and try them out, and return within 30 days(?) for a full refund!  :) 

When using the Bose QC35 Headphones, do you move them off the ear to center up over the Sonnets, or is the ear cup large enough to contain your ears and the Sonnets? I’ve found some reconditioned ones on the Z for a really good price. 

22 hours ago, Dennisjbr said:

Well you can always just purchase and try them out, and return within 30 days(?) for a full refund!  :) 

But I can’t return them after my wife kills me. 

🥴

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Eric in Tulsa

The Sonnet/Sonnet2 fits inside the BOSE QC35 ear cup 

The reason I keep asking for clarification is that I can buy some reconditioned QC35II headsets for $180. But if their ear up isn’t any larger than what I already have there isn’t any point in it.