AudioStream and iPhone July 2021 status

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Are things still a problem with connectivity or have they improved?

I have been closely following user experiences with AudioStream and iPhones because I have an iPhone too.

So let’s check in and share how life with AudioStream and iPhones is going now.  Maybe some people have had better connectivity?

iPhone users

1.  Using 1 or 2 AudioStream?

2.  Using rechargeable or disposable batteries?

3.  Great, good or poor connectivity?  Explain please.

4.  Which iPhone model?  And which operating system?

5.  When your AudioStream is not working, how do you get it to reconnect and stream?

6.    Do you also use AudioStream with an iPad?  If yes, how is that working for you?

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dennisjbr

@Dani

@SKOM

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

I apologize to any AudioStream iPhone HearPeer members I missed.  Please join in.

Am afraid to jinx things but my AS has been working pretty good for over a week. Have had to power a CI off/on a few times to get it to reconnect. Been listening to audiobooks and music a lot. 

It’s still problematic. I often have to open and close the airstream from the processor to get a connection ( this as I’m trying to talk on the phone ) and it seems to take a while to connect when I answer the phone. Sometimes it takes so long the person on the other end rings off. But when it works, it’s great

• HearPeers Heroes

@karenRS

When AudioStream works it is terrific.  But we really need it to work consistently.  All of this pulling down and pushing back up of the AudioStream covers to reconnect makes me anxious about how long they will last before the top becomes too loose (like what happens to the regular battery covers over time).

29 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@KittKatz

How did you fix it?

Sad part is I don’t know. Kept doing all the steps over and over getting partial results until one time it just started working. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@KittKatz

That is what others are saying as well. Repeated the steps so many times they lost count and one time it just stayed better connected and they do not know why.

Thank you Mary Beth  for checking in no my experience with the audio stream is pretty much the same in the meantime I have had a long conversations with audiology in  Med El exchanged , emails and they have sent all that feedback to the software  engineers and technical  department in Austria apparently they are aware of what’s going on and are in contact with apple working on resolution. 

• Thanks 2

I have had continued luck now after so many early problems. I have the iPhone 11. I haven't tried to use it again w/the iPad as well. Sometimes I have to take the cover off and on but for the most part it's just working 

On 7/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, Mary Beth said:

Are things still a problem with connectivity or have they improved?

I have been closely following user experiences with AudioStream and iPhones because I have an iPhone too.

So let’s check in and share how life with AudioStream and iPhones is going now.  Maybe some people have had better connectivity?

iPhone users

1.  Using 1 or 2 AudioStream?

2.  Using rechargeable or disposable batteries?

3.  Great, good or poor connectivity?  Explain please.

4.  Which iPhone model?  And which operating system?

5.  When your AudioStream is not working, how do you get it to reconnect and stream?

6.    Do you also use AudioStream with an iPad?  If yes, how is that working for you?

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dennisjbr

@Dani

@SKOM

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

I apologize to any AudioStream iPhone HearPeer members I missed.  Please join in.

I’m not in the list but figured I’d chime in since AudioStream was an issue the first week.

1- One AudioStream.

2- Rechargeable batteries.  I don’t know if the regular battery case has wifi symbol or not since I’m unsure if I even have a regular battery attachment even though I have a pack of batteries.  Haven’t seen it so assuming lost in Audiologists office.
3- Now it works great.  After I’ve worked with a MedEl Engineer to decipher why it wouldn’t connect to the iPhone yet it would the iPad.

4- iPhone 12 Pro Max.  iOS 14.6.  I’m still curious if anybody’s tried iOS 15 Beta and how that affects hearing devices.

5- When it’s not connected or connecting.  I go to  System -> Accessibility-> Hearing Devices.  My Oticon More is generally listed at all times.  So, I have to hit the “Forget this device” while AudioStream is off.  Put the AudioStream on, processor on and then it shows up.  We found the iOS Made for iPhone protocol doesn’t allow more than one hearing device to be connected, least for me. The Engineer also said it could be something on MedEl’s part and would be looking to address it.  I also have to ensure BT is turned off on the iPad because since 14.6, my two devices seem to be in a war over which controls a BT device…fun times.

6- Yes it works flawlessly from the first day vs. iPhone.  The majority of time it’s what the AudioStream is connected to for rehab apps and streaming familiar shows to help build speech understanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

The list was just copied from June … all are welcome to comment.  The more people comment, the better.

22 hours ago, John F said:

We found the iOS Made for iPhone protocol doesn’t allow more than one hearing device to be connected, least for me. The Engineer also said it could be something on MedEl’s part and would be looking to address it.

For MFi to work on both sides simultaneously the hearing devices need to be compatible with each other.

For Cochlear for example you need as HA ReSound Linx or Enzo since August 2017 on the other ear. With Enzo² this is not working although that supports MFi, too.

For any MFi capable hearing device you can't mix two different manufacturers to use MFi (except as already said Cochlear/ReSound). The HA devices need to communicate with each other. That doesn't apply even to two Med-EL's AudioStreams. That's why we need a dedicated app that configures MFi for use with two AudioStreams simultaneously. It's a pity when Apple slightly modifies the handling of MFi if the HA manufacturer uses features out of specification.

No - I don't have the specification. I am a software engineer for something completely different. But I am reading lots of documentation and am aware of pitfalls.

53 minutes ago, Dani said:

For MFi to work on both sides simultaneously the hearing devices need to be compatible with each other.

For Cochlear for example you need as HA ReSound Linx or Enzo since August 2017 on the other ear. With Enzo² this is not working although that supports MFi, too.

For any MFi capable hearing device you can't mix two different manufacturers to use MFi (except as already said Cochlear/ReSound). The HA devices need to communicate with each other. That doesn't apply even to two Med-EL's AudioStreams. That's why we need a dedicated app that configures MFi for use with two AudioStreams simultaneously. It's a pity when Apple slightly modifies the handling of MFi if the HA manufacturer uses features out of specification.

No - I don't have the specification. I am a software engineer for something completely different. But I am reading lots of documentation and am aware of pitfalls.

Was only talking about in the actual hearing device selection the inability to have two show up (not connected to each other) in the menu.  Have to forget one before the other can be identified by the iPhone.  That’s all. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t realize that to link AudioStream to BlueTooth I was to use MFI in “Accessibility- Hearing devices”. I had been trying to pair it in the regular BlueTooth setting. Also any other MFI device must be removed (forgot) in my case Oticon HA. 
it works great steaming music and rehab lessons but , Audio 2Ear and Audio Key2 are still saying “ no target device found”.

4 minutes ago, Ralph34 said:

I didn’t realize that to link AudioStream to BlueTooth I was to use MFI in “Accessibility- Hearing devices”. I had been trying to pair it in the regular BlueTooth setting. Also any other MFI device must be removed (forgot) in my case Oticon HA. 
it works great steaming music and rehab lessons but , Audio 2Ear and Audio Key2 are still saying “ no target device found”.

Yeah, I think the AudioKey 2 app is supposed to bypass the Accessibility menu (somebody correct me) but it’s never properly worked even if it shows in the BT menu.  Was told to forget it out of the BT list and go through accessibility instead.  Ditto for removing HA out of the MFI list.  Hopefully Apple or MedEl allows two devices much like Androids ASHA protocols to have both AudioStream and HA connected at the same time one day.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ralph34

AudioKey 2 is only needed the first time to configure the AudioStream.  And many are reporting that this only applies if using 2 AudioStream so one is assigned as left and the other as right.  When using one AudioStream people are having success in skipping the AudioKey2 step of configuration completely and just using the iPhone accessibility process.  Although AudioKey2 will be needed when an AudioStream update is released by Med-El .

Audio2Ear is not used with AudioStream.  It is an A2DP converter app needed only to stream non phone call audio through AudioLink.