Battery life

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Regina,

Glad to see you are enjoying your OPUS 2. As I mentioned previously. Once you take the tab off the battery, in a minute the battery turns on and stays on till it dies. Turning off your CI does not extend battery life. It is best to wait a minute once your tear off the tab before inserting them and closing the CI. Allows air to fill the holes.

Hello Hadron,

Very interesting - I was always thinking that turning off a device also save the batteries. Like, if you pull out AA or AAA batteries from any device. But on the other side, when we tear of a label from a battery - this actually activate it.

From now on, I won't get out the battery out of a device. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

When you store the device overnight in the dryer you should take the battery cover off exposing the batteries. This is recommended by MED-EL and the battery companies.

• HearPeers Heroes

The main difference between the Power One and Zeni Power batteries is the Power One are mercury free. Several states in US have banned mercury batteries, so to be on the safe side, MED-EL ships Power One batteries to your audiologist when you get a new implant. Supposedly the mercury gives the ZeniPower longer life and better performance. Many people do not notice a difference.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have tried a couple of different batteries and get the same life with each one.

• HearPeers Heroes

Same here! ;)

I am an ancient user of batteries and HA's so, with time you learn that everything is similar on the market.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, I have experienced the same. Find ones you like or can afford and you will be fine. I would say ( just a guess) that there isn't much benefit from one over the other.

• 3 weeks later...

After using some Rayovac Implant Pro + batteries I think they last a bit longer than Power One but it's not a much difference. Anyway I have another question, because with Power One my processor made few beeps (I think it sounds like this, because for me it's only noise :) ) when batteries were dying. After that, red light goes in. With  Rayovac Implant Pro + batteries beeping goes on and on before red led. Oh... ok, now it stopped. :P But really, it lasted for I don't know, 10 minutes? So as you can see, Rayovac last longer... ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Zpawelz,

The beeping is a warning that the batteries are about to die. Some batteries like Power One only beep for a couple of minutes while Zeni Power beeps a lot longer. If you turn off the processor, after the batteries have died and red light has come on, and wait a while and turn it back on again it will actually start working again for a bit. This comes in handy if you are driving and need a few moments before you can stop and replace the batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

My processors tend to beep for quite a while before the batteries die. I like this as I have plenty of time to switch out, especially if I am in a situation where I really need to hear what is going on

• HearPeers Heroes

I find it's different with cheap batteries as opposed the more costly ones. Heck with the Audi and see what they say. Could be a bad batch of batteries too. Check the shelf life. All batteries expire.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Newhearing - I guess there is no many companies which produce implant PRO or PLUS batteries, because our toys need these one: not the regularly battery.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have heard this. I also heard they will give me a years supply when I get my processor. So we shall see. Of course different devices have different types of batteries as I have had changes over the years. Can't wait!!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

I really have had tried pretty wide spectre of companies and generally - try everything to assure yourself and choose the best which suits to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I a.so order my batteries from Amazon. We save some money this way. I was nervous at first to do this as you never really know how long the batteries have been sitting around. Luckily I have had no issues. All seem to last the same amount of time

• HearPeers Heroes

Well basically, when I did buy on that way I usually asked for the expiration date. I even have tried some batteries after - and nothing happened to them.

• 3 months later...

I just came across this study on hearing aid batteries. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4423287/

=Quote=

The results for the size #675 batteries can be divided into three distinct groups: a group composed of six brands with similar behavior, an intermediate group consisting of three brands with a slight descent in performance, and a final group of one brand with the best performance. Thus, the worst batteries in terms of performance were ClearCell, ExtraPower, icellTech, Sony, Rayovac and Renata (average of 250 hours), the intermediate group comprised Energizer (264 hours), PowerOne (300 hours), and Panasonic (312 hours), and best performance Duracell (372 hours).

=Unquote=

I'm no scientist and I know performance varies based on individual usage, but according to the results, Duracell will last about 50% longer then Rayovac and 25% longer than PowerOne.

Has anyone got any real life experience supporting this? I've been using Rayovacs and Duracell is more expensive, but if it lasts 50% longer I wonder if the extra cost may be worth it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Was this study comparing regular 675 batteries or the implant 675 batteries? I have used Power One and Zeni Power. They both last the same amount of time for me.

Mary Beth, I'm not really sure, but there is a table in the report that listed the battery models:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4423287/table/TB170310-1a/

I've only been using Rayovac. Medel supplied 6 boxes when I had my implant and I'm down to my last box which should take me to almost 1 year. I'm getting about 2.5 to 3 days on each set of batteries. Duracell is a little more expensive, but if it gets me to 4 days the extra cost would be worth it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Lenny,

I am always cautious toward the researches which compare manufacturers. There are lots of categories for making comparisons and I am not so certain to the conclusions of the researches. I use implant batteries although in another device - a BB but I do not see such difference between 2 types of batteries which are available to me: Rayovac and PowerOne. Does Duracell even have implant type of batteries, although (if I correctly remember) Sonnet uses with same effect regular type of batteries.

Ivana,

I agree, some research can be unreliable and testing removes a lot of the real world activities that can greatly affect performance. That's why I was wondering if anyone had used these Duracell batteries in their Sonnet.

Anyway, I have ordered a box of 60 (10 pack). They cost a bit more than Rayovac and PowerOne, but I'm curious to see if they last longer. I'll try to feedback my experience after I test them out.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have not tried Duracell. Maybe I will get some and run a test of my own.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

I agree, some research can be unreliable and testing removes a lot of the real world activities that can greatly affect performance. That's why I was wondering if anyone had used these Duracell batteries in their Sonnet.

Anyway, I have ordered a box of 60 (10 pack). They cost a bit more than Rayovac and PowerOne, but I'm curious to see if they last longer. I'll try to feedback my experience after I test them out.

Lenny,

Please do - I haven't had chance to try Duracell also - is there implant type of them or just an ordinary one?