Battery life

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I was lucky to try Duracell 675 batteries. Like this:

https://shop.riteaid.com/duracell-batteries-hearing-aid-675-6-batteries-0320462

It lasted longer (69 hours 24minutes) that the PowerOne Implant Plus batteries I got with my Sonnet from MedEl that last about 57-59 hours.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Cara!! That is a big improvement. Maybe I need to check them out

• HearPeers Heroes

That's almost a whole extra day.. They aren't cheap but the extra 10 hours would be great!

• HearPeers Heroes

After I am done with my Power Ones, I will think about Duracell if rechargeable battery is still unavailable. But actually want to check several more periods with both brands to see if I got the same result.

• HearPeers Heroes

Let us know the results. I will try the Duracell and let you know what happens

• HearPeers Heroes

That's interesting because these seem to be regular hearing aid batteries, not special implant batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe they are Marybeth. Who knows, I guess find the brand that lasts longest for you and go with it

• HearPeers Heroes

I was lucky to try Duracell 675 batteries. Like this:

https://shop.riteaid.com/duracell-batteries-hearing-aid-675-6-batteries-0320462

It lasted longer (69 hours 24minutes) that the PowerOne Implant Plus batteries I got with my Sonnet from MedEl that last about 57-59 hours.

Quite interesting... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe they are Marybeth. Who knows, I guess find the brand that lasts longest for you and go with it

:D :D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

That's interesting because these seem to be regular hearing aid batteries, not special implant batteries.

Mary Beth,

I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere at the Med-EL's website that Sonnet can be used equally with implant and regular batteries. 

If I could only find where it was written...

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used both type of batteries with similar results

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used both type of batteries with similar results

I could swear I have seen the remark about freely use of the regular type of batteries.... :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

I only find this note on page 47 of the Sonnet manual

"Note: It is recommended to only use high power zinc air batteries to power the Sonnet."

• HearPeers Heroes

"Note: It is recommended to only use high power zinc air batteries to power the Sonnet."

I have to find where I have read that.

• HearPeers Heroes

And - does this mean high power as implant battery or ...?

• HearPeers Heroes

You are correct, Mary Beth, Duracell batteries, I tried, were not special implant batteries.

I found nothing about it on the package. But it was only 675 batteries available in a store pharmacy. I expected them to last a day or so. Was surprised to see them working for so long time.

Cara, Just wondering, but does your alert tone sound when the Duracell batteries get low? And if it does, how long does it go before the batteries run out completely?

I've been testing out the same Duracell batteries for about a week now, and found that I only get 2 days before the alert tones sound and I automatically change batteries. This is much less time compared to my Rayovacs and I was about to advise everyone to steer clear of them. But after seeing your feedback I decided to give it one more go and see how long it would take for the Duracell batteries to run out completely. When the batter low alert sounded last night I waited almost 20 minutes and the alert just kept sounding. Eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I took it off and went to bed, leaving the Sonnet cover on. When I woke in the morning it was still continuing to beep!!!

Now I'm not sure if the detection for power level is mis-reading the battery.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lenny,

Interesting situation.

I had the alert sounded when my Duracell batteries got low. But I changed them right after I got a couple of beepings. Today I will put a fresh set of Duracell and try to see how long it takes them to stop annoying me when they are ready to be replaced.

Will post my result here by the end of the week.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just to complicate this even more......I had one set of batteries send me dead battery beeps for 20 minutes even though all other sets of batteries in the same box and same processor did it for a much shorter time!

I was driving at the time and couldn't swap out the batteries easily. Typically, I swap out at the first dead battery beeps.

• HearPeers Heroes

This morning the dead battery alarm started off at 8:50am and I listened to that beeps for 8 minutes (each 10 seconds). Put a set of fresh Duracell batteries at 9:00am.

I started to track my batteries life more closely clicking the time between replacing them. Seems they work more than 60 hours with my new mapping. 

1st period - Duracell set - 69:24

2nd period - Power One Implant Plus - 65:17

3rd period - Power One Implant Plus - 71:26

4th period - Duracell - in use.

Confusing data. I agreed with the opinion that there are too much factors contribute in a battery life to consider our "homebrew" data for any reliable comparison between different battery brands.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting Mary Beth, I was driving home and the beeps started, so I counted them: 40 beeps before silence. They were the Power One Implant ones.

• HearPeers Heroes

My beeps seem to last a long time. I will time it and see. I usually use them until they die completely.

• HearPeers Heroes

This weekend I will be using a DAI cable a lot to plug into the radio to communicate at work. This shortens the life of the battery a good bit. I thought I read somewhere that you could change the length of time the dead battery beeps go.

• HearPeers Heroes

1st period - Duracell set - 69:24

4th period - Duracell - 62:31 (beeps sounded for 24 minutes)

2nd period - Power One Implant Plus - 65:17

3rd period - Power One Implant Plus - 71:26 (beeps sounded for 8 minutes)

5th period - Power One Implant Plus - 64:56 (beeps sounded for 12 minutes)

It seems to me there is not so much sense to track how long the batteries last. Each time it is different. Perhaps even air humidity and temperature can affect the battery performance within the same brand. And I won't be surprise if the batteries in the same package differ from each other somehow due to manufacturing process.

If translate the difference in the batteries life in money - I am not sure that it will be a big saving even in a long term.

• Like 1