Single sided deafness surgery complications with cochlear implant

Salazar

Hi , My daughter has single sided deafness on her left ear and we want her to get the cochlear implant for her

she is 10 year old, we are so worry that some things may go wrong during surgery. I would love to read some of your experiences during surgery and how difficult it is to recuperate from surgery. ?  I know this will help her improve her life so much but we are so scare. Thanks in advance. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lsalazar

Hello and welcome to HearPeers!

Wishing your daughter the best!

I found my CI surgeries to be very easy surgeries to recover from.  I did not take any prescription pain meds, just Tylenol for a couple of days.  I slept in a recliner at first, then propped up in bed.  This helps prevent swelling.  

Sleeping on the new side hurts at first.   Using a travel pillow set flat on top of a pillow with the ear positioned in the opening can help make that more comfortable.

Removing the eyeglass arm from the newly operated side helped me wear my glasses comfortably.

Having popsicles or flavored ice can be helpful if she gets a sore throat from the tube used during surgery.

Wearing shirts that are open and button down the front will be easier to put on and take off at first.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lsalazar

I did not have any complications.  I go to NewYork Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai (NYEE) in New York City.

Where are you located?

• 3 weeks later...

I just had surgery on August 23. No issues at all. No pain meds just Tylenol. I had nausea for about a week after but then subsided. Incision healing without issues. Cochlear turned on yesterday. I hear sounds already- wow!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, Salazar said:

Thank you for your response. May I also asked if you had any complications during surgery? Her doctor mentioned nerved damage, tinnitus, infections.  Thanks again.,

I also had none of these problems. In fact my tinnitus improved. I believe these complications are possible but uncommon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Annette said:

I just had surgery on August 23. No issues at all. No pain meds just Tylenol. I had nausea for about a week after but then subsided. Incision healing without issues. Cochlear turned on yesterday. I hear sounds already- wow!

Thank you your response it help a lot.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Annette

terrific!

Feel free to ask questions here as well.  Lots of Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 users here.

Just activated 2 weeks post surgery. No complications, not much pain. Occasionally if i got up and walked around too much id get "top heavy" feeling in my head on surg side but not much else, just rested alot and read these forums like mad. Good luck and stay cool as you can!

• 1 month later...

My daughter has SSD and had CI almost a year ago. She was 11 at the time. She had a tough 24 hours, mainly from the discomfort of having the surgical dressing/cup over her ear and surgical site.  After that her pain was very manageable with Tylenol.  She went from 0 word recognition on her deaf ear to now 85% at our last test in July.  She won't admit to me that the CI has made a positive impact for her, but she certainly can identify words and sounds from her processor, which makes me think that she must be able to localize where sound is coming from. From the perspective of safety, I'd like to consider that a win. 

• Like 2