I am Vern Dearing I hope to have a Med El system installed soon.

Vern

I would like for some feedback from any one who has had  a Med EL system for any amount of time 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Vern, here are a lot if people with Med-El devices - shoot your questions. :)

HI Vern. I'm just over two months since activation. I've got single sided deafness so have been implanted on one side only. Happy to answer your questions if I can.

Hi Vern

I have a Med-el. I have had my cochlear activated for approximately 2/12 weeks.

Still sounds robotic, but I find that it is a crisp, clearer sound compared to hearing aids.

Do you like yours?

Do you still have the robotic sound?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome,

I was implanted in February and activated in March. I use the Opus 2 or the Rondo and am waiting for the Sonnet. I love my Med El CI.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Vern, I have the Medel Rondo and have had my implant for two years. It's the best thing I ever did. Ask all the questions you want. We are here to support each other in our journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joshue,

When were you implanted? Welcome.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome to hearpeers

I have the sonata implant and the Opus 2 BTE processors. I have been activated for a

Most 5 years now. I am bilaterally implanted

Adam

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi I am about to be implanted. I am getting a Sonnet and am so excited. I don't know much about CI s but I am so excited to take this next step.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well - the operation is one small fraction of the journey. It is not a complete solution - CI does not work without brain WELL

• HearPeers Heroes

I have I have progressive sensoral-neural hearing loss. I had meningitis as a baby and wore hearing aids since I was 17. Was able to get by before that. (Inside joke autocorrect wanted to put Nutella for neural!) hearing really sucks right now.

• HearPeers Heroes

NewHearing,

Last fall I was beyond frustrated with trying to hear. I was working so hard to follow speech it was exhausting and I was no longer doing very well with it. When I didn't have to be listening I welcomed the opportunity to turn off my hearing aid and read quietly. In the car, I drive with the radio off. It was a very frustrating time. My life felt like it was shrinking. I could only have 1:1 conversations so I could speech read. I was tired and frustrated and concerned.

Then in December I started to pursue cochlear implantation. I was implanted in February and activated in March. Although I only heard static and beeps at activation, I knew I could train my brain to understand these sounds. That ear had not heard anything for 24 years. I started auditory training the first day.

It was so exciting. Things were improving. For the first time my hearing was about improvement rather than loss. That is an awesome feeling. And it just keeps getting better and better.

This week I had surgery for my second CI. I am so excited about being bilateral.

Hang in there. You are about to go on an awesome ride.

I keep a journal of new sounds I hear or WOW moments. It is fun to read through it and see how my right ear's CI journey has progressed.

Best of luck,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth. Hope your feeling better. Good luck with your second ear! I am excited. I will keep you updated as things go along.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great! Can't wait to read about your journey. Thank you for the good wishes. I am feeling fine and counting down until activation day.

• HearPeers Heroes

Will do. Surgery is on Thursday. I was really encouraged by your story Adam. Thanks everyone

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth. I guess yours went well? How was the pain and swelling?

• HearPeers Heroes

THURSDAY!! YES!!!

I know you have to be excited. Will be thinking about you. As soon as you feel up to it, please let us know how you are doing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine was a piece of cake. The pain was fine with extra strength Tylenol for five days. The swelling was not bad. Just my ear mostly.

I hope you have just as easy a recovery as I had!

• Like 1