Hi from Melbourne, Australia

SSD Dan

Hi HearPeers!

Thanks to Kylie from introducing me to this forum. Recently, I decided to go ahead with a CI. 

I had idiopathic SSHL in my left ear in early 2020. My hearing loss has been stable for the last 12 months, down at the 'severe' level, with 35%-40% word recognition. I'm in the 35-45 age group.

My CI surgeon mentioned that I'm eligible for a CI, but up till a few weeks ago I thought I would be fine without any implant at all. I had learnt to live with the hearing loss.

In March I had caught a cold with a sore throat (not COVID). On the first day of the cold, my throat was a bit tingly, and I was feeling quite stressed in general. That morning I experienced temporary SSHL in my 'good' ear. A few hours later, I had a hearing test at the hospital, but by then this new SSHL had thankfully disappeared.

This experience got me thinking that SSHL in my good ear is a definite possibility and it's the main reason why I've changed my mind to get a CI.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Dan

welcome to HearPeers!

It is quite scary when we only have one ear that hears and something happens to that ear.

I lived with no hearing at all in my right ear and a progressive loss in my left for 24 years.

After choosing to get bilateral CIs, I was surprised at the degree of relief I felt being able to hear from two ears.  Knowing that if something happened to one of them, I would still hear while it got sorted out.

• Like 2

Thanks Mary Beth and Kylie for your warm welcome.

Mary Beth, thanks for sharing your experience. The relief you had from regaining hearing in both ears must have been very profound- congratulations!

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Dan

Keep us posted on your CI journey.  Do you have a surgery date yet?

Wishing you the best!

Thanks Mary Beth. I don't have a surgery date yet. It won't be for some months, as I understand it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Dan

chat with @Kylie about our monthly GoogleMeet chats and if you wish to join in just let us know.

• Thanks 2

@SSD Dan Welcome to the group!  I also waited a while before deciding to get a cochlear implant, and boy, am I ever glad I went for it!  It's hard to believe I've had my CI for a decade!  My CI has changed my life in so many ways.  Best of luck with your hearing journey, and keep us posted! 🙂

Thanks @Darlene Mac, it definitely gives me more confidence to hear of so many CI success stories. Did you also have unilateral SSHL? If so, did you have a similar reason for deciding to go ahead with the CI?

@SSD Dan. Good luck with the journey. If you are still some time away from being implanted and you know which type of processor you are going to have. you may find it valuable to get hold of the various manuals that exist. This may not be as easy as it sounds because, here in Switzerland anyway not everything was available to de downloaded and I had to contact the local Medel rep and have them sent to me. Once you have them, read them and note down any questions that occur to you. Then run the questions by your audiologist or the local Medel Rep or both. It is a truism  that people can handle anything except uncertainty and so the more you can learn in advance the more comfortable you will feel. If you do not know which processor you are going to have the journey is the same you just need more manuals!