Nice meeting you, CI upcoming soon!

Hila

Hi,

My surgery is this Friday. Been reading here for a little while once the decision to get an implant was made about two months ago. Thank you everyone who shared their experience and stories. Hoping to continue finding support here and getting to know everyone.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sending you best wishes on Friday!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki! I didn't read this post first so welcome!!

A little more about myself, I lost my hearing gradually in my late teen and early my twenties. Now twenty years later it gotten bad to the point speech is next to impossible to understand. Been relying on every possible cue and caption and have not really considered cochlear implant. I did not know anything about it but my audiologist recommended I'd go for consultation. I passed all the qualifying tests with flying colors, so i realized I've nothing to lose. I met with the surgeon, still hesitating, but as soon as he started talking, I knew I should go for it. So here I am, hoping for a productive outcome from this journey. I will work hard at it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Nikki. We are a very social group and will try to answer all your questions. We've been where you are, so ask away! Good luck on Friday and let us know how you are doing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki,

I'm thinking of you today and wishing you the very best!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers Nikki

Hoping the surgery went well. Please update us as soon as you feel able.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You have just started an awesome journey

Adam

Hey friends, yes I survived, yesterday was a lot harder than I imagined. I kept on asking myself why did I do it to myself.. Today I have some pain and I'm taking pain killers but I'm so much better! I just had some food and I hope it keeps improving fast. April 20 is my activation. Planning to go back to work on Wednesday but we'll see. I have awkward sounds on that implanted ear, like buzzing metallic sounds. I think I've read it can happen. I asked the nurse to tell the doctor but she said it's the pressure build up in the ear. Thanks for being here guys, and every tip would be helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki,

I had bell like sounds on my left side after surgery- kind of like wind chime bells. My right side was completely quiet after surgery.

Rest and take it easy. It gets better from here.

Yeah these chiming won't stop... I bet it would go away completely after activation

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, I didn't fight it since there's nothing you can do to change the chimes. I just looked at it as my ear complaining a bit. I figured it had every right to complain. Smile.

After activation, the chimes went away while wearing the processor.

Both of my ears talked back to me at night when I removed the processors during the early part of the journey. That also went away in time. So try not to worry about it but definitely tell your surgeon and audiologist everything you are experiencing in your journey. They are the experts.

I'm not sure if I already told you about an active group of MedEl users in a closed FaceBook group. Several member of that group just had surgery and are posting their experiences. Look for MedEl Cochlear Implant Discussion Group and ask to join if you are interested.

You may find some of their posts helpful as they are exactly right where you are in their journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki

Glad to hear things went well. I had tinnitus in each ear after the surgery. For me, it did settle down a little bit. I had my surgery on a Thursday. By the next Monday I started to feel like I had my legs under me again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Now comes the next stage in your journey. Developing that patience as you wait for activation

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear everything went well. I had bad tinnitus in my implanted ear. It was 24/7. Till I was activated. Then it calmed down quite a bit. Now its in the other ear that's not implanted that I notice it. The three p's. Patience, persistence, and perseverance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Happy all went well, Nikki. I had tinnitus after my surgery but once I was activated, it only happened if I was stressed or drank too much coffee. Please keep us posted and good luck with your activation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right I haven't got the actual three P's down!!! Lol!

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad that the hardest part of your journey is in the past. Hope you feel better and stronger each day.

Are you noticing any tinnitus relief?

Hi Cara, thanks for checking on me. I tried to send a response earlier, but it disappeared. Anyway, tinnitus is mostly gone but I have pain and itch, some redness around my incisions. I feel like I need to take more time to chill and I might do just that. Thanks everyone for caring!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki, I'm glad the tinnitus is almost gone.you should take all the time you need to feel better. Keep us informed and don't forget, ask whatever questions you need.