Bilateral

Lauren

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news!  The best thing I ever did (OK, maybe second-best, I still have my husband) was get bilaterally implanted.

22 minutes ago, Dianna said:

Lauren im so excited for you!!

Congratulations. The great feeling doesn't stop. Enjoy. 

Oh only extra thing I’ll be asking about is if the surgeon can move the left implant up a bit at the same time. I regret not getting it fixed before. Audiologist agreed that now is the time to ask about that even though it would put both ears out of commission at the same time. I’d also mention wanting the right side secured a little better so that side can’t slide down either. Not that it would but this would make extra sure. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Both of my surgeons used the well technique so my internals are actually set in bone and secured.  Many surgeons now use what is often called the soft technique and instead of drilling a well they make a pocket.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33710991/

It would be convenient to adjust the placement at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

So funny (ish) story. At my last appointment when I qualified I asked for my mapping to be changed up. Asked to get rid of natural and make Omni #1 and have AI-Strong as #3. I was explaining what I wanted and my audiologist wasn’t able to match up between me and their Maestro program. Said she’d take my notes to Med-El and figure it out. It entailed providing screenshots of other conversations on HearPeers. So I just waited for word from the clinic. 

Finally asked me if I could come Tuesday afternoon (two days ago) so I made it work with my schedule. And wouldn’t ya know. They had the wrong program for MONTHS (audiologist’s own words). Few weeks back when two audiologists from Med-El were in they didn’t catch it lol. She said if not for me they might never have known. I just shrugged and said “uhh you’re welcome?”

Anyways, now I have programs I want. We’d tried re-mapping but ultimately I walked out with the same Omni #1 that I walked in with. At one point a MAP was set and apparently I made a yuck face because the comment was “ok so you really don’t like that, tell me why your face made that look”. Program 2 is Fixed (I think natural but forward focused?). Program 3 is AI-Strong. And Program 4 is Omni without any restrictions. I said I’d like that but not as program one as if it’s too much I don’t want to be stuck with it so we made it #4. Runner up choice that didn’t make the cut was a music specific MAP but I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that just yet  

As for the chirping/chatter/over exaggerated sounds I’m getting best guess now is that there’s so much power/sound pumping through on the left side to compensate for the hearing aid. Now the hope is once the right side is up and running and both sides are equal it’ll be better. Fingers still crossed. 

How could you tell you had wrong maps?

I think this is kind of standard my audi doesnt want to anything else

Map 1 is usually left as the map i used most we call it my quiet map

Map 2 newly tuned AI mild

Map 3  same as map 2 with 6% more volume

Map 4 AI strong

So im thinking we could make my map 1 omni mic stuff turned off

We usually spend time setting up a loaner ha so this time no need! Hopefully they do the max levels peek, and the sync.

Hoping for cam too.

Wish me luck, its tuesday!!!!!!!

My maps weren’t wrong, we just changed up the order of them. MAP 1 up til now was always the Natural setting. I don’t like it so instead of having my favorite as #3 we made it #1 and took out the Natural mic setting all together.

#1 is now Omni but lessened a little so it’s not too overwhelming for me. #2 didn’t change. New #3 was the AI-Strong I wanted (Audiologist tried setting it up best as possible the week prior but had the wrong computer program) and finally got. And just to try it out, #4 is Omni with no filters/restrictions. 

12/5/2022 is my surgery date. Time is set for high noon. 🤠

Hope nothing changes (unlikely but one never knows). 

• Like 2

Good morning!

Yesterday i visited my ci audi and had the sync option turned on, and we made my map with omni mic, all ai off wind block, etc off! So i have my omni map and im loving it. 

I tested it by having to retrieve my phone from my car, went through busy hallways and thru the huge parking garage, and back! We made sure audiokey2 was set correctly and i drove home with window open! Its a little like first activation with sounds being copiously sent to my brain but now its like being given more naturally!  And making the two ears more balanced and even! 

Thank you all for advise! I listened to a couple favorite songs 🎵  so more lyrics and instruments almost like my first concert!

But thats not all! I can hear behind me, i feel like i can hear footsteps and direction coming from! 

Its all good!

• Like 2

😳

Bumped up to November 3rd. They found a sooner opening. Waiting on updated paperwork. 

• Like 2

It’s real now. 

Surgeon is willing to try to move the left implant up a bit. I think he is looking forward to the challenge. There’s risk with it of course but as long as the surgeon is comfortable at least trying I’m fine with it. He’ll also do his best to better secure the right side to proactively prevent it from sliding down too. 

Sweet. Both my doctors finished my paperwork quickly and Med-El already received and started assembling my activation kit. And will be present at my activation, possibly surgery too but definitely activation. 

It’s zipping along.