Battery Brands

ColinY

Hey All,

Just curious if people have had better luck with certain brands of batteries over others?

There is no where in town to buy Implant Batteries, just Hearing Aid batteries, so I will have to order them in.

I was wondering if there are any brands that seem to last longer than others? brands to avoid etc.

Thanks!

Colin

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Colin,

My experience is with implant batteries in CIs. With my Opus2 and Rondos, I get the same results with Power One and Zeni Power implant batteries. With my Sonnets, I get better results with Power One batteries. Others report the same results with their Sonnets with Power One or Zeni Power so maybe I got a bad batch of Zeni Power batteries because they kept giving me false dead battery beeps and once I switched to Power One that stopped happening.

Thanks Mary Beth for the info.

Power One is what came with the Samba when I got it and it seems to last quite a while.

I think I will stick with those and buy a box to see.

• HearPeers Heroes

I also use dominantly Power One or Rayovac batteries. But Cara tested regular one Duracell and was satisfied with them.... ^_^

Thanks Ivana. Actually my new box of PowerOne Batteries arrived today.

How long do you guys typically use one battery? I know it depends on use, here is my situation.

I got activated at 11am on Friday July 22nd. I kept it on until about 11pm that night.

Saturday I used it for a about 12 hours or so.

Sunday it was about 14 hours at least.

Monday to Friday I only wear it after work (5 hours each night).

This past Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Holiday) I used it about 10 to 12 hours each day.

I just changed the first battery out today......is this normal? once I put the new battery in I noticed for sure it seemed a little louder etc.

Also I saw on the Samba Kids Set there is a magnetic thing to put the Samba on at night when you are not using it. In the picture it shows the Samba closed and attached to the stand. Is it normal to keep it closed when not using it? I open mine each night to help preserve the battery, is this a bad idea?

Thanks guys!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Colin,

I use my BB whole day, since I wake up up to the point where I go sleep. Retrospectively, it is about up to 18 hours or even sleep with my BB. It doesn`t hurt at all.

My battery lasts to me up to 7 days (this depends on your hearing map) - recently I started new ritual: I peeled the battery and leave it 5 minutes on the air before I actually start to use it. This brought me up to 2 days of more use. 

Whatever you do after you start to use it - will not prolong its capacity so whether you leave it open or closed, your battery will work same. I put my BB/Samba in an electric dry kit so it dries out my outer unit during the night. During the day, our Samba got wet with sweat and moisture which does not help to our BB. It can actually cut its longevity - if you do any kind of exercise, you should be particularly careful not to get wet.

And the change of the loudness is due to greater capacity which battery has when it starts to work. I even exchange battery before if I remind change in sound quality (sharpness, sound started to be "blury"). It is normal. You do not need to wait up to the final moment. ;)

I had a Synchrony implant procedure performed in July, 2015, and Med-El supplied mercury-free PowerOne zinc-air batteries with my Sonnet processors in August.

The PowerOne batteries lasted 50+ hours after my initial activation, however that has since dropped to 42 to 44 hours. I believe higher processor programming levels made during the past year, combined with significant T-Coil use, are the reasons for the reductions. It should be noted I did not care about battery life, or comparison shop to find batteries that might last longer, as it has been a truly miraculous experience to hear again.

I live in Missouri, a state that has not banned the use of disposable batteries with mercury. Since almost all of the PowerOne batteries supplied by Med-El have been used, I recently started using ZeniPower Extra High Power zinc-air batteries that contain mercury (Item # A675P, UPC 6 923601 216752). Battery life has increased to 70+ hours, which is closer to what Med-El presents on their web site. I ordered them from Med-El, however they are also available online.

I've always used Power One.  I've never dared to stray to another brand, though I've been tempted to experiment...I just don't like experimenting too much when the batteries cost a lot. :-D

I've always used Power One.  I've never dared to stray to another brand, though I've been tempted to experiment...I just don't like experimenting too much when the batteries cost a lot. :-D

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone's experience with batteries varies.

• HearPeers Heroes

I even tried waiting five minutes to insert the batteries. No change in battery life. I use just power one they're great three days never fails.

• HearPeers Heroes

I use Power One and like Kara, they last three days.

• HearPeers Heroes

I even tried waiting five minutes to insert the batteries. No change in battery life. I use just power one they're great three days never fails.

Interesting... I haven´t believe in this trick but it really works for me. Perhaps, a CI needs much more power... :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I really thought it might work. I waited exactly nine minutes to make sure!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

I tried waiting five minutes after taking the tab off. It did not help lengthen the battery life

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah... It seems that cochlear implants need much bigger capacity at the moment... With Bonebridge I remind that although I get extra 2 days, it is not same like when I put a brand new battery in it... 

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't notice a drop off in volume. One minute it is fine, the next, I'm getting the beeps that the battery is getting ready to die

• HearPeers Heroes

It`s not a drop off in volume than an objective feeling that some frequencies are not covered... The sound starts to be slightly "blurry"... I have felt this numerous times because in these moments if I do not understand one consonant well, I will need the repeat. Especially in my language where words are differently structured. For instance, Croatian word for death is - SMRT: try to understand it if all consonants are not well balanced. 

When I listen in English, other things represents me a problem: certain combination of letters which finally sounds differently represents me a problem to understand.

I have always have to bear that in mind... And switch between the worlds...

• HearPeers Heroes

Sometimes I notice a decrease in sound quality right before the batteries die, and sometimes I don't.  Now I follow a schedule to change batteries so that never happens any more.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with both Mary Beth and Adam. I do get a small decrease in volume sometimes right before the beeping.  But also taking the tab off does not extend the battery life for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

My batteries are power one.  I turn on around 8am and it is not off more than half an hour until anywhere from 10pm to 1am. They last 2 days. I do notice my reception gets a little muddled when I am at the end of the battery life. I sure hope we get the rechargeable batteries before I use up all the ones I got when activated!  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That's strange. I have used that brand and haven't noticed any difference in sound quality as the batteries lose power

• HearPeers Heroes

I only know because I have to ask for repeats of speech. Then I figure it out. ? Took a few times before I caught on 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
7 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Sometimes I notice a decrease in sound quality right before the batteries die, and sometimes I don't.  Now I follow a schedule to change batteries so that never happens any more.

I usually squeeze mine as much as I can and I enjoy by doing it. At the end volume start dropping within 5-7 minutes during which period I prepare another battery.

Still haven't stumble to an awkward situation...