About tic sound on Rondo 2

Valentin

• HearPeers Heroes

Hei, I don't remember what option must to cancel or disable to avoid the tic sound when I have active Mic/coil on control. I don't fpud thread where we talk about it. Can you remember me. I have a mapping sesion tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan told us the fix so I will tag her

@Valentin it is a “fix” your audiologist needs to do. Although I don’t recall just what the fix is, I believe it has to do with disabling a function having to do with the “lights” indicating the device is “on.” Disabling that function does not in any way interfere with the use of the Rondo 2.  If your audiologist does not know what the fix is, suggest he/she contact Med-El to ask. It’s a known problem and they do know what to do to eliminate the ticking.

• HearPeers Heroes

I remember that we tolk about some months ago, but I didn't find the threats where we did it. 

Thank you. I will comment with my audiologist doctor.

• HearPeers Heroes

It may be the link monitoring and auto off features that are to be disabled.  I have those features turned off on my Sonnets because I never want the processors (or DL coils) to automatically turn off).  It was problematic when training one side at a time for me.

@Valentin bring your remote and put the Rondo 2 on T while at the appt to be sure the ticking issue is gone.

• HearPeers Heroes

I read to you later Marybet. Casually, my audiologist disable monitoring lights commented here before the appoinment, and (surprised me because auto off is disabled too), the tick noise continue there, (with less volume), but continue when I tested it at home. I have to wait to next appointment to check it again. I found auto off feature useful (at least with this rechargeable battery processor). Monitor light is not necessary really for me.

Thantks to all.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Have you tested it by going outside- and then switching the Rondo 2 to T - to see if the ticking sound happens when you are away from possible interference?

• HearPeers Heroes

I checked at doctor's office, and I didn't hear the tick, but at home when I tested it, these is here again. The alert indicator lights are disabled, but I also lost the auto off when I remove the processor and left it on the table (and don't switch off it). I think this is an important feature, above all, these devices with rechargeable battery. As I commented yesterday, lights blink alert or status is not really important for me, but it is important the auto off to avoid battery discharge witth the processor is not on at head.

I don't know if there is any way to disable light but not the auto off feature, but I have to wait the next appointment to check it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Telecoil picks up strange interference sometimes.  I hear a sound from some appliances at home if they are running.  I encountered an interference from a bad ballast in a fluorescent light which was not making any sound to those with typical hearing.

If the ticking sound is still absent when you are outside and in T setting, then my guess is some kind of interference.

The ticking sound caused by the Rondo 2 itself is present always when in T until the setting changes from the audiologist.

@Valentin

@MED-EL Moderator will you remind us which setting changes our audiologists need to make to eliminate the Rondo 2 ticking sound when on T?

• HearPeers Heroes

With T and MT (at least for me). I detect the tick sound inside or outside location.

As we are talking about the "fix". Curiosly, I have similar issue near a specific area in my house. When I'm there and I have active T or MT, i hear a "continuous trtrtrtrtrtrtr... sound", I don't know how to express in english but is a continuous noise (I insist, that only happen in this area. So I think that Rondo 2 have any electrical part, chip or similar that is sensible to some electrical devices near and produce these extranges behavior.

On 2/27/2024 at 1:52 PM, Mary Beth said:

Telecoil picks up strange interference sometimes.  I hear a sound from some appliances at home if they are running.  I encountered an interference from a bad ballast in a fluorescent light which was not making any sound to those with typical hearing.

If the ticking sound is still absent when you are outside and in T setting, then my guess is some kind of interference.

The ticking sound caused by the Rondo 2 itself is present always when in T until the setting changes from the audiologist.

@Valentin

@MED-EL Moderator will you remind us which setting changes our audiologists need to make to eliminate the Rondo 2 ticking sound when on T?

@Mary Beth

Thank you for tagging us. 

If the tic sound in T-Mode appears in each environment, it could be the link check of the coil. The solution would be for your hearing professional to switch this link check off in MAESTRO.

If this tic sound appears in special environments, including by various light sources, it could be that the telecoil receives analog input.

Kind Regards,
Alicia 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Alicia for the explanation. I take it for next appointment. I'ts true that when remove light monitor, the intensity of tic sound are reduced, but it don't disappear completely. I listen this tic sound in both mode T and MT.

Regards

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

Do you still hear a ticking sound with your Rondo 2 on MT or T after your audiologist turned off link check/monitoring?

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, Yes. I hear it with reduced level, but, tics are there. I suppose link check/monitor is related to lights. I lost also the auto off feature. So I will check it again in my next appoinment.

@Mary Beth no, I have not had the ticking sound at all in either mode since my audiologist applied that fix.

@Valentin I have to admit I’ve never thought about using the auto off feature since I had the “fix” applied to my Rondo2s within two weeks of receiving them. So if disabling that feature was part of the fix, I guess I never realized it. I’m sorry it’s inconvenient for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

The auto power off feature I hadn't used until I discovered it existed :-). I think it is interesting for these rechargeable processors to avoid discharging the battery if they are removed from the head and you forget to turn off (at least it is a good option for small children). If the processor is not in the head, it automatically turns off after one or two minutes.

Anyway, the fix has nothing to do with the function, because with this turned off, the ticking continues. Maybe there is some other configuration parameter to be applied in the mapping software.

• HearPeers Heroes

Link check/monitoring and lights are not always the same thing because we have lights for other functions too which can be turned on/off like low battery lights.  Is it possible that the link check/monitoring function was not actually turned off?

I do recall my audiologist telling me the fix applied to my processors turned off both the monitor lights and the auto off function. The only lights that are still functioning are the manual on/off lights and the charging light.