Spring/Summer surgeries and activations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I never experienced an echo. Only ringing because I never heard high frequency noises or voices. I know people have said that it has happened, so I believe it will go away as your brain adjusts.

@Mary Beth did you experience an echo with either of your CIs?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

There is a wide range of “normal”at they beginning of our CI journeys.  Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine was like a cotton filled mouth. But it’s mostly gone now. Well to say normal I would say yes. Remember it is very different for everyone. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Today some of the beepies are back, but only intermittently.  I've decided that they sound most like an old Moog synthsizer from the 70s.  Between that and the tinny sound and the whispery voices and the echoes it's not particularly clear yet, but it's only a day.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like an awesome start. It is much harder to go from nothing to one CI. Because you don’t have a strong ear to back you up. That way has been much easier this time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada - actually, we implanted my worse ear this time.  I can still hear a little out of my left.  In fact I've been putting an earplug in it to force myself to listen via the CI.  I just got off the treadmill and watched two episodes of TV while I was on there, and the second episode was noticeably more understandable than the first. 

But would you suggest not using the earplugs?  I'm wondering because of your comment about a strong ear.  All day today I ended up wearing my hearing aid in the left ear because it's work and I have to be functional.  I was worried that it would hold me back.  Not so?

• HearPeers Heroes

Use it if you need it. Train 2-3 hours a day. Without the HA. Otherwise your new ear will pick up. That’s how I did it. Also I wore my CI only for about two hours a day. Right at the beginning of the day. Suggested by my Audi. Keep up the good work. ?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

One way to train your CI ear and know that your other ear is not helping at all is to use tech from the sound source to your Sonnet.  Options include:

Roger Pen and Roger 21 receiver with the mini cable plugged into a headphone jack

DAI cable plugged into the Sonnet FM battery cover (but I am not sure if that is included in activation kits which select the Roger connectivity option) and into the headphone jack

BT neckloop with Sonnet on T connected to the soundsource via Bluetooth 

When we implanted my first side (worse side) I continued to use my HA also at work.  I spent as much time as possible CI only at home.  My audiologist’s rule was ...... CI on all the time and at least 2 hours daily CI only.  I chose much more than 2 hours daily CI alone.  It was so much fun to train.

Sounds like you are off to a terrific start Mary.  I am happy for you.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth!  I can see some bits of progress already, which is a terrific motivator.  I did get a Roger pen but my audiologist suggested not messing with it this first week.  I go back on Tuesday and we can talk more then.  So far so good......this is just an amazing journey.  I started a blog when I was confirmed to be a candidate and have a whole bunch of friends following along with me, but with a single exception none of them are CI people.

This forum is so valuable and you have all been helpful!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Speaking of the Rogers pen system I had a replacement 21 sleeve I’ll call it and it was bad too! So I’ll get another one next week. I priced out the second one and was told $2000. I could get a whole system for $2100 with ADP services included! That’s  a horrendous price! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Wow I wonder if there is a problem with all Roger 21 color options or only the color you requested?

If you want a second Roger 21 for your first side, the cheapest way I have seen to purchase one is through connevans from the UK.  You will only need the Roger 21 not another Pen.  It is way cheaper than what you were quoted.

With VAT it is $690 US dollars...

https://www.connevans.co.uk/viewProduct.do?id=16158225&code=3PR212&name=Phonak-Roger-21-integrated-receiver--type-02-

Still expensive......we could purchase two BOSE QC 35 Noise canceling headphone sets for that.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston 

Super random - are you on Tumblr for your blog? I have Tumblr for my pictures! 

• HearPeers Heroes

But.........what happens if you order it from Connevans and it doesn’t fit like the two you received already?

• HearPeers Heroes
Just now, Megan L. said:

@Mary Featherston 

Super random - are you on Tumblr for your blog? I have Tumblr for my pictures! 

Nope, @Megan L., I'm on Blogspot.  I was just looking for simple and free. 

• HearPeers Heroes
Just now, Megan L. said:

@Mary Featherston

Ahhhhh darn ? I’ve heard of blogspot. How do you like it? 

@Megan L.  it's fine.  It's easy to use.  I haven't tried to post any photos or anything, but haven't really felt the need either.  There are some things that are a little cumbersome, but not bad.  It works for me.  I'm not looking to gain an audience outside people I know, just wanted to record the journey and let some friends and relations come along for the ride.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you switch your Sonnet to the disposable battery pack.  Does the Roger 21 fit then?

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually @Mary Beth that doesn’t work either. My Audi tried both. He old one and the new one she ordered. Both didn’t work. So I’m getting a third one. She even tried one she had in the clinic it worked fine. So who knows. Hope others don’t have this issue. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

I hope the next one they give you comes from a different batch.  Fingers crossed.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kara of Canada

I hope the next one they give you comes from a different batch.  Fingers crossed.

Does the replacement sleeve come from Phonak or Med-El?

Speaking as a person who's worked in the medical device industry for twenty years, this is worrisome.  This is what FDA calls an escape and it shouldn't happen. If the design is sufficiently robust and the manufacturing process is correctly validated, everything they ship should work.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Great question but probably not an easy answer.

The Roger 21 is a standard Sonnet battery cover with a Roger X (02) receiver built into the bottom.  You can see a horizontal line on the Roger 21 which shows the placement of the receiver in the battery cover.

If you look online at Roger 17 receivers for AB’s Naida processor, you can see how that receiver is attached to a battery option from AB.  It slides into a groove on the bottom of a rechargeable battery option for the Naida.  So the receiver from Phonak is separate from the battery from AB. (Even though they are now owned by the same company.). It’s a great design and my students have been using them without problems for years.

Cochlear’s options for Roger receivers are much more cumbersome and problematic.  We have difficulty with them at school.

Since Med-El’s option merged the battery cover with the receiver, the design had to work as a battery cover too.  In the Sonnet design that means powering up the Sonnet. 

The Sonnet battery system has been problematic for many users.  Users have reported having battery covers and battery packs replaced several times.  In fact, there is a topic here about an on-going problem someone is having with battery life and Sonnets.

I have experienced several battery related issues with my Sonnets too.

As far as purchasing Roger 21 receivers..... only through vendors who obtain them from Phonak.

Whether or not the same Med-El manufacturer is making the battery cover which is then modified with a Roger receiver by Phonak or if an entire separate manufacturer is making the Roger 21 I do not know.

I agree this should not be happening.  I’m wondering if the problem is specific to one color option?  Maybe there is a problem in only that manufacturing line.  

@Kara of Canada‘s post is the first I heard of this problem.  We have several members here who are using Roger 21 with their Sonnets.

@Megan L.

@Adam

@Nikki

@Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I'd be surprised if there's a separate manufacturing line based on color.  These are injection-molded thermoplastic parts, changing the color is just a question of adding a different colorant to the primary resin that's used.  I haven't seen the part in question, but if they've done a capability study on the mold and the press settings there should be no dimensional differences between colors or batches.  There may be some hand assembly afterwards where the problems originate.  It's a lot harder to eliminate human error - people just DO things sometimes.

It would be interesting if someone from Med-El could jump in here, I'm curious now.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

That makes sense.  I was hoping the problem with the Roger 21 was limited to color instead of widespread.  Wishful thinking on my part.

Leigh is always great at finding out answers to our various questions and posting them here.  Let’s tag our @MED-EL Moderator team and see what they find out about the assembly of the Roger 21.

• HearPeers Heroes

IT goes on like this. Mine are faulty so don’t pay attention that it doesn’t slide al the way up. It should. 

00D31698-1BBC-4BCC-8398-381D5EBBC79A.png

D9ED07EC-2B03-4046-B6DC-6B23EB96781C.png