Setting a Date

Emily C.

Whew...  freaking finally finally yaaay!  Yes, yes I know the 'big insurance machine' can be tricky or difficult, but when my surgeon's secretary said she was handling my claim for me and it would take "about three weeks", I went from finally being at ease with decision and looking forward to doing it, to getting a little worried/impatient/nervously hopeful/etc once I hit the four-week mark of waiting!  I guess I was hoping to have the quiet summer to work on it!

Finally, at about four and half weeks, insurance came through, and they are covering it.  :)  :)

So now, uh, I run into a slightly different bit of silly indecisiveness!  Thanks to how long that took, the dates available are running into August.  Which wouldn't be a big deal, except I work retail, and we always get super busy leading up to back-to-school (which starts August 27th, here).  So I'm trying to chart it out in my head, with the idea that I'll be off the week it happens, "half-deaf" for the week after that, activated the week after that, (roughly speaking, I guess, depending on audi availability), then first mapping two weeks after that.  Which means, if the current dates available are the 8th, 15th, 22nd, or 29th, some of those will have a week that falls during back-to-school or right before, where I'm at the half-deaf or freshly-turned-on point.  Am I overthinking it, or would that be a bit much to deal with while trying to keep up with everything?  Maybe I should wait til after that busy weekend is over and do it on the 29th.

My gut is saying that sounds like a nice idea, to be able to focus and relax better, although my audi (who is great, but very vague since she doesn't want to 'decide for me'), said to "do whatever I feel comfortable with" and that it might be a good idea to instantly "expose myself to all the sounds in my environment".  Well, sure, but there's a difference between newly hearing at a normal workday, and a crazy week filled with students needing stuff.  Plus, I have no idea what it'll be like for me, although if it helps, I'm not going from complete deafness to suddenly processing an implant-  just very hard-of-hearing, which I suspect will help with the learning curve.  What do you guys think? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I would go with my gut on that one. You will. Need to hear and do what you can in a hectic environment. Getting a CI doesn’t mean instant hearing. It will take months of training  to get normal levels of sound and speech recognition. It happens at different paces for everyone. It also depends on how much rehab you do. The more the better! Best of luck! 

I actually did, thanks.  Go with my gut, that is.... after overthinking it a lot and asking here, and someone else I'm in touch with, while waiting for the replies, I just kept coming back to feeling like 'nahh... I really don't want to deal with half-hearing (well, even less than I usual do) or freshly-hearing while trying to handle the crowds of students'.  What's a couple more weeks to wait, right?  ;)

So........   yaaaay!  After waiting a dang long time for insurance and pinging the office back, they put me down for August 29th!  (which, I now realize with some comments that I've seen on here, really isn't that bad of a wait!!  I was the one who took the better part of a year just talking/researching/stalling, after all....  lol)

I actually did, thanks.  Go with my gut, that is.... after overthinking it a lot and asking here, and someone else I'm in touch with, while waiting for the replies, I just kept coming back to feeling like 'nahh... I really don't want to deal with half-hearing (well, even less than I usual do) or freshly-hearing while trying to handle the crowds of students'.  What's a couple more weeks to wait, right?  ;)

So........   yaaaay!  After waiting a dang long time for insurance and pinging the office back, they put me down for August 29th!  (which, I now realize with some comments that I've seen on here, really isn't that bad of a wait!!  I was the one who took the better part of a year just talking/researching/stalling, after all....  lol)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. and @Jewel are both scheduled for August!  How exciting.

I know @Jewel is going to a two processor center and chose 2 Sonnets and is hoping to fall into the plus Rondo 2 voucher as well.

What did you choose @Emily C.?  Is your CI center also a two processor center?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 8:38 PM, Mary Beth said:

I know @Jewel is going to a two processor center and chose 2 Sonnets and is hoping to fall into the plus Rondo 2 voucher as well.

Hey!  Thanks!

So.......  I feel kinda stupidly stuck, now?  So much time was spent swirling over deciding to do it, researching, meetings, prepping myself mentally and with little to-do's leading up to making it happen, waiting for insurance, etc etc, I've only really met with my audi and doctor maybe two or three times?  And both those times the majority of it was just covering the basics of my health/a check-up and what to expect with the surgery/afterwards, and a general run-down of what is available to me, when I was still trying to pick a brand.

As a result, I know what Med-El has, and I seen you guys banter about different accessories, but... err... I still don't know!  ;P

There hasn't been any reason for us to meet other than my next time, the pre-op appointment (which at least is two weeks before surgery, to give me time), and while they're great, they're both very busy people with being able to answer my every email.  My doctor even apologized for that and asked if I could please instead "bring all my questions to the pre-op" to just talk in person.  Ok, sure, although...uhh, dude, isn't it a little important to make sure of which stuff I'm getting?

But at the same time, it's not like they've told me I should pick Sonnet over Rondo, because it's kind of my choice, and they want to let me pick.  The individual pros and cons of each I guess are hard for even a hearing expert to know, and truthfully, after all the other work was finally over with setting this up, I took a mental break to wrap up various other loose ends before it happens!  Not to sound like I'm not excited or care, to have already excitedly know exactly what I'm getting at this point.  I guess what I'm saying is... what do you see as the best pros and cons of either one?   :huh:   :)

On 7/7/2018 at 8:38 PM, Mary Beth said:

Hey!  Thanks!

So.......  I feel kinda stupidly stuck, now?  So much time was spent swirling over deciding to do it, researching, meetings, prepping myself mentally and with little to-do's leading up to making it happen, waiting for insurance, etc etc, I've only really met with my audi and doctor maybe two or three times?  And both those times the majority of it was just covering the basics of my health/a check-up and what to expect with the surgery/afterwards, and a general run-down of what is available to me, when I was still trying to pick a brand.

As a result, I know what Med-El has, and I seen you guys banter about different accessories, but... err... I still don't know!  ;P

There hasn't been any reason for us to meet other than my next time, the pre-op appointment (which at least is two weeks before surgery, to give me time), and while they're great, they're both very busy people with being able to answer my every email.  My doctor even apologized for that and asked if I could please instead "bring all my questions to the pre-op" to just talk in person.  Ok, sure, although...uhh, dude, isn't it a little important to make sure of which stuff I'm getting?

But at the same time, it's not like they've told me I should pick Sonnet over Rondo, because it's kind of my choice, and they want to let me pick.  The individual pros and cons of each I guess are hard for even a hearing expert to know, and truthfully, after all the other work was finally over with setting this up, I took a mental break to wrap up various other loose ends before it happens!  Not to sound like I'm not excited or care, to have already excitedly know exactly what I'm getting at this point.  I guess what I'm saying is... what do you see as the best pros and cons of either one?   :huh:   :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

Hi. Bear in mind that if you're having surgery in August you may benefit from the PLUSRONDO promotion where you will get a Rondo2 for free! That in mind if you choose Med-El you may want to go with the Sonnet and then get the Rondo2 under the promotion. 

My CI surgeon said if I want power go for the Sonnet. If I'm more interested in aesthetics then go for the Rondo. 

I am a bit self conscious so I don't see myself wearing the Sonnet with my hair up. That's where the Rondo2 comes in handy ?. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I wonder what your CI surgeon means by if you want power go for the Sonnet?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

If you are at a 2 processor center in the US, you can choose....

2 Sonnets

2 Rondos

or

1 Sonnet and 1 Rondo.

If you fall under the present Plus Rondo 2 promotion, you will also receive a voucher for a Rondo 2.  Med-El will process those vouchers sometime after the Rondo 2’s release in the US.

A similar promo was in effect for my surgeries and my CI center is a 2 processor center.  That is how I received 3 processors per side.  Very very fortunate indeed.

I have friends who use Rondos all of the time and hear great.  I have friends who use Sonnets all of the time and hear great.  These processors share more similarities than differences since they offer the same speech strategies.

Sonnet has ASM 2 with dual mics which can help in noise.  It has a built in 2.4 connectivity feature but it is still dormant as Med-El has not released the streaming intermediary device yet (AudioLink).  

Rondo is simple to use with less parts to deal with.  It sits off our ears.  I find it amazing in its skin tight waterwear cover.

I think great hearing is possible with both processors so it really is just personal preference.

@Jewel

Re: the voucher... yep, exactly!  Pretty sure I would do that.

I guess at this point I don't have strong preference one way or other, and just set it aside until our meeting, to mentally/physically catch up on some 'other' stuff first.  Then was a little worried, thinking 'hey, you could be researching this or asking people right now', so I am.  :)

The only personal opinion I could get out of my audi, (and remember, she's just going from a technical standpoint and trying to put herself in our shoes), is that she thought that even though they would both be equal for great hearing (minor things aside, like you guys said), she wasn't so sure about the design of the Rondo.  The Sonnet sits like a regular old hearing aid, right where your ear is, and where you are used to 'catching' sound.  The Rondo sits further up and back, and despite the omni-directional (right?) microphones, it's not where our familiar 'line of hearing' is, to better get everything.  I found that opinion thoughtfully interesting, but it doesn't make sense now that I type it out.  I guess comparing the difference between the kind of microphones, and how well you process everything (which would also have to do with programs set up).  Maybe that's moot anyway, if I get a Sonnet, then a Rondo voucher...  ;)    Just wondered what you guys liked about yours, or particular aspects!!  (I know I definitely do want to get a waterproof sleeve... fun!)

@Jewel

Re: the voucher... yep, exactly!  Pretty sure I would do that.

I guess at this point I don't have strong preference one way or other, and just set it aside until our meeting, to mentally/physically catch up on some 'other' stuff first.  Then was a little worried, thinking 'hey, you could be researching this or asking people right now', so I am.  :)

The only personal opinion I could get out of my audi, (and remember, she's just going from a technical standpoint and trying to put herself in our shoes), is that she thought that even though they would both be equal for great hearing (minor things aside, like you guys said), she wasn't so sure about the design of the Rondo.  The Sonnet sits like a regular old hearing aid, right where your ear is, and where you are used to 'catching' sound.  The Rondo sits further up and back, and despite the omni-directional (right?) microphones, it's not where our familiar 'line of hearing' is, to better get everything.  I found that opinion thoughtfully interesting, but it doesn't make sense now that I type it out.  I guess comparing the difference between the kind of microphones, and how well you process everything (which would also have to do with programs set up).  Maybe that's moot anyway, if I get a Sonnet, then a Rondo voucher...  ;)    Just wondered what you guys liked about yours, or particular aspects!!  (I know I definitely do want to get a waterproof sleeve... fun!)

• HearPeers Heroes

The Opus 2 is the BTE processor that came before the Sonnet.  I hear exactly the same in my Rondos and Opus 2s and use the same MAPs on both.

The only time I notice a problem with the Rondo mic position is when sitting in a restaurant booth if a loud person is back to back with me.  Other than that, the mic location doesn’t negatively impact sound for me.

Now it is important to remember that the placement of our internals vary due to physical considerations as well as surgeon approaches.  This impacts the location of the Rondo mics.  My internals are positioned close to my ears but not too close that the coils and BTE processors touch ever.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Opus 2 is the BTE processor that came before the Sonnet.  I hear exactly the same in my Rondos and Opus 2s and use the same MAPs on both.

The only time I notice a problem with the Rondo mic position is when sitting in a restaurant booth if a loud person is back to back with me.  Other than that, the mic location doesn’t negatively impact sound for me.

Now it is important to remember that the placement of our internals vary due to physical considerations as well as surgeon approaches.  This impacts the location of the Rondo mics.  My internals are positioned close to my ears but not too close that the coils and BTE processors touch ever.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I think by power he was referring to the dual mic that the Sonnet has. Both Rondo and Rondo2 only have one mic. Anyway I'm just assuming that's what he meant. I didn't seek clarification. 

@Emily C.

I don't think it matters that the Rondo is at the back of our heads. Remember we won't be hearing the usual way when we get our CI. We will be hearing through the internal and external processors so we don't need sound to travel the same way through our ears as it does with normal hearing people. I'm no expert though. When is your surgery again? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think implant position, which impacts Rondo placement, is most important for...

-Mic location 

-comfort of setting our heads against headrests, etc

-comfort of wearing hats, caps and helmets 

-comfort of wearing BTE processors without them hitting our coils

Can anyone think of other factors?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think implant position, which impacts Rondo placement, is most important for...

-Mic location 

-comfort of setting our heads against headrests, etc

-comfort of wearing hats, caps and helmets 

-comfort of wearing BTE processors without them hitting our coils

Can anyone think of other factors?

• HearPeers Heroes

My audiologist told me yesterday that Rondo2 will have to have different programs - I didn't think to ask if she meant different MAPs too, but she did say that though the device is approved by FDA, the software that drives mapping and programming is still going through the process.  She thinks it will be mid-fall.

• HearPeers Heroes

My audiologist told me yesterday that Rondo2 will have to have different programs - I didn't think to ask if she meant different MAPs too, but she did say that though the device is approved by FDA, the software that drives mapping and programming is still going through the process.  She thinks it will be mid-fall.

• HearPeers Heroes

The software is called Maestro 7.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I look forward to following everyone’s Rondo 2 experiences!  Fall should be exciting on HPs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

My Sonnets require different MAPs than my OPUS 2/Rondos.  For me ASM 2 required MAPping changes.  That may not be true for everyone.

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

I look forward to following everyone’s Rondo 2 experiences!  Fall should be exciting on HPs.

@Mary Beth in addition to that my surgeon is working me into the schedule for my second surgery now.  Going to be a really, really exciting fall for me.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

@Mary Beth in addition to that my surgeon is working me into the schedule for my second surgery now.  Going to be a really, really exciting fall for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Keep us posted on your second CI surgery date.  How many months apart will your surgeries be?  Mine were 8 months.