Roger Pen with cell phone

Bruce

I have bilateral cochlear implants and just recently got a Roger pen with the Roger 21 receivers. My Roger pen keeps getting disconnected from my cell phone's blue tooth after being paired.  I have a Motorola droid turbo 2 and it is an older phone. I am trying to trouble shoot why the roger pen and cell phone keeps getting disconnected.  I have called Phonak and did a default reset and it would connect for a while and then start disconnecting again.

Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you resolve it. Phonak seems to think it is the cell phone. If anyone has not had this problem, can you tell me what kind of cell phone are you using with your Roger pen? 

Thanks 

Bruce

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bruce

Any chance you can temporarily pair your Roger Pen to a friend or family member’s cell phone to see if it is the Pen or the phone?

I have gotten it to pair with my spouses phone as well bit have not used it long enough to know if it disconnects. Even with my phone, one it is paired, it does not disconnect right away. It may only do so after a few calls.

Wished Phonak would redesign the device so it would be easier to understand what feature you are in instead of having to know what each type of blinking/color light means. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

It’s Bluetooth that is the issue.

not the Roger Pen

i use mine daily and each morning after charging the Pen I open my iPhone settings to Bluetooth and see if it is connected, if not I press connect. Usually that works. There may be occasions where I need to  re-enable my Pen. Rarely do I need to pair it again. Rarely.

and it’s not just the Pen, that is the case with any Bluetooth device, such as a Streamer for hearing aids, or the Quattro or Artone Max.

I too have great problems with this Roger Pen...Some people are clear. I guess much depends on their phone system. I use it with a Samsung Galaxy. Some times people are just garbled...too bassy. Plus, sound just statics on and off...I've got to do all types of contortions to get the signal back.

Does anyone have any particular type of cell phone that does work with this thing?....Doesn't the maker recommend a particular phone?

Right now I am looking for a closed caption app for my cell phone...Any recommendations?....

• HearPeers Heroes

I think the neckloop's clarity when paired to my CI is much better than the Roger pen's FM system.  I was actually talking to my audiologist about it, and she said something along the lines of "the telecoil is one of those things that just hasn't really been improved on yet".

Which isn't to say that the Roger pen doesn't have its place, but for cell phone calls, I like my neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Neil

For captioning on cell phones..

innocaption! It’s free and works great.

For hearing better on cell phones, Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I’m not sure what your audiologist is referring to exactly.  Telecoil (like using the neckloop) works great and the devices we have at our disposable are now BT.  Theaters here have looped their venues.  I think the telecoil works very well.

It seems to be the BT connectivity with the Roger Pen that many are reporting problems with.  That is a BT and Roger Pen issue.

We can also use telecoil with the Roger System but only when using Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.

I LOVE the telecoil options in my processors.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think the Roger System is best at what it originally was designed for....

understanding speech in noise

understanding speech over distance

The most sophisticated Roger mic technology is found in the Roger Select and Roger TouchScreen mics.  They are both VERY impressive with speech in noise around a table.

Music, for me, continues to sound best through the processor mics or through the BOSE QC35 BT headphones.  Neckloops and Roger tech do not transmit the full frequency range for music.

Tech preferences vary among users.  We have many options and I encourage everyone to keep experimenting until you find what works best for you.

The information all of you offer is very useful..I will discuss with my audiologist on next visit, and I think I will try what you suggest. Thanks

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
18 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

I’m not sure what your audiologist is referring to exactly.  Telecoil (like using the neckloop) works great and the devices we have at our disposable are now BT.  Theaters here have looped their venues.  I think the telecoil works very well.

It seems to be the BT connectivity with the Roger Pen that many are reporting problems with.  That is a BT and Roger Pen issue.

We can also use telecoil with the Roger System but only when using Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.

I LOVE the telecoil options in my processors.

That's what she said - that telecoil hasn't really been improved on for clarity and ease of use.  The Roger pen does some things well, but for a lot, nothing beats a neckloop and telecoil.

• HearPeers Heroes

The only problem I encounter with using telecoil is encountering electromagnetic interference (EMI).  This is a growing problem though because of the sophistication of the computer systems in our cars, etc.

I can not use telecoil in a new Subaru Legacy because of a constant hum.  I can use telecoil in a 2011 Subaru Outback though without any issues at all.

Walking down some roads produces static and buzzing from strong overhead electrical lines.  Walking down other roads, is perfectly fine.

Sitting in some classrooms at the university produces loud buzzing.  Sitting in other classrooms in the same building is fine. (Wiring in the walls, ceilings)

Using telecoil on planes, trains, buses encounters loud buzzing.

So the biggest problem with telecoil access to BT streaming is EMI.  And we may not always know if we will encounter it ahead of time.

I LOVE my Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and use it every day.  But there are certain situations/places when it just doesn’t work due to EMI.

This is why I am so eager to see the AudioLink that Med-El is designing for wireless connectivity with Sonnets.  It will not use telecoil so EMI will not be a problem.  I am hoping that Med-El is designing the AudioLink so that the Sonnet users can choose 50/50 or 100/0 mix ratios at will.  The inability to get 100/0 mix ratio with the Roger is why I have not purchased any Roger equipment.  (The only way to get 100/0 with Roger and Med-El processors is to use the neckloop Roger receiver called Roger MyLink and go to T.  That also uses telecoil and we face the EMI issues all over again.)

Tech is ever changing.  Thankfully.   I look forward to what options future tech brings to us.  Right now I am happy with BOSE QC35 headphones, Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and CozyPhones flat headband speakers for Rondos (when telecoil isn’t an option or I want to plug into a headphone jack).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston I am glad you are happy with your Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  Fortunately, it will work with your Rondo 2s as well!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - yep, and luckily it works without the hum in my car too.  It's a 2014, so maybe older is better?  We are buying a new car for my husband next spring, I guess I'll find out, though his is likely to be a small SUV from Chevrolet/GM so there may be some car companies that produce more humming too.

Why would you use a neckloop in the car? I just use the car's speakers and it is lively for music and talking on the phone when phone is connected to the radio via BT.

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Daniel the Stranger

When you are not the only person in the car and want to listen to something without bothering others.

Ahh well, I'm 90% by myself in the car lol. Besides, when I'm in a car with more people I prefer to talk with them instead of being by myself listening music lol. Hope you don't take this as a critic, just the way I do things.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Ahh well, I'm 90% by myself in the car lol. Besides, when I'm in a car with more people I prefer to talk with them instead of being by myself listening music lol. Hope you don't take this as a critic, just the way I do things.

Or when you haven't paired the car to your phone and you're in a hurry because you forgot about a meeting that's taking place NOW, right now, during your commute now, and the neckloop is all paired and waiting.

I mean, what, me plan ahead?

• Haha 1

• HearPeers Heroes
3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Not that you would know anything about that right @Mary Featherston?!  

Well, for most things I plan really well.  For example, I've already booked a place to stay for our vacation next spring.  But since I could never hear, I had never bothered pairing my phone to my car, even though it has BT and I could listen through the speakers.  And I usually don't have meetings right at 8:00 because I prefer to arrive around 8:30.  But this involved people in Germany, so we had to do it earlier.  And it was Monday, and I forgot to check my calendar on Sunday night, and well, you know, there it was.

But it did let me learn that the neckloop sounds really, really clear with my cell phone, so that was worth it.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

It was a great discovery for you!  

• Like 1

I'm going to get a neckloop with my second processor. I remember using the same neckloop for my hearing aids, very happy with the sound. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In my experience telecoil is an excellent technology, which is surprising given BT advances.

I found both the Rogers and MiniMic (from Cochlear Ltd) devices to be less than optimal. The connection is erratic and the sound quality is just okay.

I decided to see what telecoil could do and was pleasantly surprised. 

Instead of a neckloop I now use an ear hoop.  Since I have one CI and normal hearing in the other ear, I use this: https://aarphearingcare.com/product/noizfree-mobile-hr-1-side-induction-ear-hook/

For bilateral CI users they sell a headphone with two ear loops, instead of the ear loop + ear phone combo that I use.

Noizfree-Mobile-HR-1-Side-Induction-Ear-hook.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@ILAN

I agree the telecoil offers great options that are much more user friendly and quite easy to carry around.

I have a set of bilateral music links (which are ear level hooks for telecoil like your picture).  They are just not as comfortable for me to wear as the Artone neckloop. Maybe due to the CI processors and my eyeglasses.