Amazing video series from Med-El

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

This is so moving.  Vera and her husband Nigel are being filmed all along her journey!

Follow the link.  Be sure to select the link in the description to access the first episode.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is weird.

I am unable to view more than 30 seconds - the video stops showing at "MedEl.com/veras Journey", however in your text, you show "https://www.medel.com/community/veras-journey"

Either entry, I am taken no further than the MedEl.com home page. 

Ive tried Safari, and Chrome browsers 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

@MED-EL Moderator

I had trouble finding the full first episode too from Med-El ‘s FB post.  It was confusing because the video link is not episode one.  I found it by looking in Med-El ‘s written description above the video and following that link.

Here is a link to episode 1 on YouTube

Hi @Mary Beth,

Thanks for pointing that out - I can see that is must be quite confusing due to the page layout and our Web Team is working on a solution.

In the meantime, you can go directly to episode 1 here: https://www.medel.com/community/veras-journey#title-part1. The link mentioned in the  video (https://www.medel.com/veras-journey) also redirects to the same page, though you have to scroll down to see Episode 1. 

We hope to correct this for episode 2. 

Kind regards, 

Mary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Next episode has been released!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Episode 3:  Activation!

This is a fabulous series!  Thank you Vera and Nigel!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Episode 4

The brain’s response to the new CI input!  Excellent episode!

• HearPeers Heroes

All of them have been great. Happy to follow Vera's journey. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@vera

I know exactly what you were describing about fighting with your brain and then poof your brain gets it!  So true.

Hi Mary Beth.  Thank you so much for sharing these.  I’ve just now joined HearPeers and look forward to getting involved.  Vera.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hear Peers @Vera.

Thanks for sharing your story via the Med El videos. You're off to a great start. Now that you have a CI do you wear a HA in the other ear? 

Hello Jewel.  Yes I do.  Sound feels much better to me when I have both sides in play, even if the hearing aid side is very, very deaf!  It also means I have quite reasonable directional hearing.  Not for birds (too high pitched - that only comes in via the implant) but for speech I can usually tell what side sound is coming from.  Vera.

• Like 2

@Mary Beth @Vera such an incredible series of videos! Thank you so much, Vera, for sharing your entire journey so intimately and eloquently (and for introducing us to Nigel!). 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Vera

Isn't the CI amazing? Are you finding that Nigel sounds normal to you now? Things change so quickly in the early weeks. Wishing you all the best in your journey. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow! Welcome @Vera  I really enjoyed the videos as well. I especially enjoyed the fact that your CI centre gave you so much info at the first session with activation. We don’t ge that here. So if it wasn’t for this forum I would have been lost as to where to start. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Episode 5! @Vera and Nigel do a terrific job of sharing the CI journey for the user and the loved one.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for the link @Mary Beth

@Vera thank you so much for this incredible series! You and Nigel have such a wonderful way of putting into words, both the positives and the negatives, what you and so many of us have experienced on our hearing journey. My experiences, both in the years leading up to and after being implanted, have paralleled yours in nearly every way...right down to your reticence to use a telephone again. That was my last “hurdle” too. All the best to you...as you continue to turn the tables on Nigel’s hearing!😊

Hi Joan.  So what would you give as your tips for finally conquering the telephone?  My telephone practicing has largely stopped but I've made a resolution to have another concerted go at it in 2019.

Hi @Vera. Do you have, or have access to, a captioned telephone and/or a telephone with a speakerphone? I found both of those helpful and reassuring and still rely on both occasionally for my landline phone; however, I now use my cell phone without any assistance. (My first implant was Feb 2014, second in Sept 2014.) Here in the US (I assume you’re in the UK; is that right?) there are some numbers we can call to get phone listening practice. Is such practice available to you (if you don’t know, your audiologist would)? Also, I found  practicing calls with people I know a good way to gain confidence. Believe me, the first time you make an important call your knees will be knocking...but you can do it!😊

• HearPeers Heroes

@Vera

I agree with @Joan that at first we need no stress phone practice.  Smile.  Have Nigel call you and read an article to you at a slower pace while you listen on your phone and follow along.

We have options for hearing on the phone with tech.  Some options let us listen on the phone with two ears and other options work only with one ear.

If you want to discuss options for phone listening, I will start a new thread and tag you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Vera,

Thoroughly enjoyed the last installment of your journey. I could relate to so much of it. 

I hope you're able to conquer your fear of the telephone. Baby steps. I called a number where it tells you the date and the time. And I moved on from there. Calling Nigel is definitely good practice. All the suggestions my fellow HPs have given are good. 

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Vera and Nigel return for their final episode.  I am so happy that your CI journey has gone so well @Vera!

@MED-EL Moderator This is an awesome video series!  Having both Vera and Nigel’s perspectives is so important.  Our hearing loss and CI journeys impact our loved ones so much.