Jess from Australia - Mum of Child with bilateral cochlears

JessDunn

Hi,

I'm Jess and live in Perth Western Australia. I have a daughter who was implanted at the age of 11months with bilateral implants. We have used the OPUS 2, Rondo and now the sonnets which are our processor of choice. My daughter is now 7 and has very fluent clear speech. We still have all the usual issues in day to day life, missing processors, broken parts but in general extremely grateful and blessed to have such a wonderful product.

Thanks

Jess

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @JessDunn - welcome, and I'm happy to hear how well your daughter is doing.  I hope you'll stay and hang out with us.  ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the group @JessDunn! Sounds like your little lady is doing wonderful with her CIs ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@JessDunn

Welcome! I have friends who moved here (northern New York) from Perth last year!  They served us a cool dessert...hmmm what was it called.....its white and flakey with fruit layers and Australia and New Zealand both claim it originated in their country.

Your daughter sounds like she is doing a fabulous job.  I have the same 3 processors and also use Sonnets for everyday.  I LOVE using Rondos in waterwear though.

welcome!

Hi @JessDunn another "Australian"here living in Adelaide, welcome to the forum!. Glad your daughter had the opportunity to have CIs very early, these are the most important stages of our lives to learn to communicate.

@Mary Beth no idea which one is it, I have been here for 11 years and I'm not sure what you are talking about. One thing I can say for sure, food over there is much much better! You don't have anything to be jealous for! ?

@Mary Beth I thought so, not my cup of tea really lol. I'm not friend of too sweet desserts. I don't mind eating it though ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @JessDunn

Welcome from another newbie! I am in Australia too. Glad to hear your daughter is doing so well with CIs. If you don't mind me asking, I am curious to know how you decided on MedEL implants for your daughter? I am just staring to learn about CIs and the Australian experience of them and am keen to know what options we have here. I have recently acquired SSD in my left ear by the way - hence the curiosity! :)

Hope you have a good weekend :) 

hi @Little_chooky, we used our audiologists recommendation to choose which CI was right for us which at the time was Med-el. Really I don't think there are also of differences, at the moment I think cochlear if probably ahead technology wise (the phone app to locate lost devices and water wear are far superior) but I am sure this will turn around again. Generally we are happy with our choice and it functions well. The supply for Australian Hearing for parts is fantastic too. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 1/3/2019 at 9:43 AM, Kylie said:

I am also in Perth Australia! 

@JessDunn

Just saying hi! Was lovely to meet you today.

• HearPeers Heroes
12 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

Oh, hey @Kylie and @JessDunn did you meet?  How cool.

It was funny - we met in a tennis class and found out that we live 2 suburbs apart!

• Like 2