newby CI in the future

soojjan

Hi,
I am a Belgian 35 years old/young man ( depends on who's reading). Otosclerosis in the right ear was diagnosed in my late twenties. here I was operated on, but unfortunately this was not successful.
Because
 I am also losing on the other side my hearing due to this otosclerosis, they are going to place a CI in my 'deaf' ear.

This is very frightening somewhere, but also positively exciting and so I'm looking forward with mixed feelings. This will probably sound very familiar ... :)

Frightening because I often have to wear a helmet at work (this is still possible) and because I like to swim (I am a recreational triathlete)
exciting because I wonder how it will be to hear through my deaf ear again.

I will already browse through the stories and find support, I am sure of that.

regards,
Joos

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to HearPeers Joos!  @soojjan

I have otosclerosis as well and also had surgeries for otosclerosis that did not work.  In the end, that ear became completely deaf and stayed that way for 24 years.  I am a Teacher of the Deaf and I used to tell my students that my right ear was dead and I only kept it around to hold up my glasses.  Oh how wrong I was!  It is an amazing ear with a CI.  Almost 4 years with a CI in my right ear and I am still shocked that I can hear so well with that ear.  I wish you the same amazing journey.  Aural rehab was my friend.  Check out our topic on rehab for lots of great tools to help on your journey.

I will send you a private message via HearPeers mail.  Look at the top envelope icon to find it.

I am looking forward to following your journey!  Welcome!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@soojjan

I swim with my Rondos in waterwear and hear great!  I use EarGear covers with a tether and clip.  Over that I wear a nammucap.  Very comfortable and everything sounds fantastic.  Hearing in the ocean is one of my favorite CI experiences.

• Like 2

The choice for ME-del was made for me, but I would have chosen it myself after all the research that I have done.

Hope i can get a Rondo so i can finish a triathlon with it. It will be easy to hear that someone is passing me by while cycling, at the moment im alsways scared when that happens!:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @soojjan and welcome!  If you are an athlete you may well enjoy the Rondo2.  They're very light and sound great!

thanx!

An athlete is a big word!:D The only thing im afraid of is the noise of wind. I wear Widex hearingaids on this moment and the wind is somethimes annoying. (is not the fault of Widex, just the cross i guess)

I see more benefits with the rondo 2 for me at this point.

In 2 weeks I have an appointment with the audiologist for more tests (i had already an MRI for my cochlea) and the final decision (which I have already made)

• HearPeers Heroes

@soojjan  Joos, when you use a cover on a CI it helps reduce wind sound significantly.  And you don't get the feedback like you would with a hearing aid!

The choise FOR me is made: Sonnet. Cant get a Rondo at this moment. Maybe later when the adjustment of my brain is made with the Sonnet...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @soojjan

Looking forward to following your journey. Both Sonnet and Rondo2 are great! You can swim wearing both once you have Waterwear on. 

Have been wearing in the ear for about 20 years, but hearing has deteriorated to the  point that I need to seriously consider CI.

As a newby, I need all the info available.

Thanks,

Rich Miller

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller

Welcome to HearPeers!  Many of us have gone from being hearing aid users to now being CI users.

Go ahead and ask us some questions and we will be glad to answer.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller

I see you are in the US.  I am in New York State and go to New York Eye and Ear in NYC.  

Most health insurance plans cover the majority of CI cost for surgery and processor kit, depending on if we have met our annual deductible and maximum out of pocket expenses for the calendar year.

I had sequential surgeries 8 months apart but in the same calendar year.  A few friends have had simultaneous bilateral CI surgeries.

Which CI center are you using?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller

When I got to the point where my hearing aid was no longer effective, I scheduled an appointment with a CI surgeon at a CI center.  The surgeon then scheduled me for 2 assessments before returning to him again:  MRI and a comprehensive two hour audiological assessment with a CI audiologist.  Then I returned to the CI surgeon again to discuss my candidacy for surgery.

There is a link on the Med-El website which lists CI centers in each state.  That may be a good place to start.

Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller you may also be able to get a referral from your regular audiologist.  That's what happened with me - I changed audiologists because the guy I'd been seeing went out of network, and the new one saw my audiogram and said holy moly, we need to get you evaluated for a CI.

And the rest is history.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller

You are welcome Rich.  Stick around and keep us posted.  We were all completely new at this once too.  We understand and are a friendly bunch.

Thanks, Mary. Good to know that Med El isn't the only doorway. Was Limbaugh ever on this forum?

Rich

Can anyone tell me where to get the CPT code for this procedure? My in surname company is asking this.

TIA,

Rich

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard Miller

Hello, welcome to Hear Peers! 

Here are the CPT codes I was given for my operation:

L8614

You can Google the above codes to see what they each stand for. 

All the best! 

Hi Soojjan and Richard! I'm going through this all at the same time as you guys. I also have otosclerosis and my right ear stapedectomy 18 years ago made my right ear a useless hole in my head. My left ear stapedectomy was in 1997, but the hearing has deteriorated enough that I have been approved for bilateral CI's. Now I am finally going to get some hearing, first on my right side. My first surgery is Monday for my right ear. TWO DAYS!!! I am stoked!!! I have low expectations, but high hopes! I will be getting a Sonet and a Rondo 2. (I got to chose either 2 of the same or one of each). Since my Audiologist said that I can exchange either of them if one of them doesn't fit my needs, I decided to order one of each and see what works best for me in different situations. Anyway, next step is surgery on Monday. My appointment for activation is February 21st. So only a little over 2 weeks and I will be hearing my first sounds in my right ear in over 18 years. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Monte!

How exciting!  Surgery is right around the corner.  Wishing you the best!

Thanks Mary Beth! I can tell from all of your posts that you are really a wonderful mentor! I watched your video the other day. Loved hearing about your journey. My activation is set for the 21st and I am taking a little road trip right after they turn me on. I plan to play the same pear, apple, banana game with my family that you did with your spouse! That was a great story and has me motivated! 2 DAYS UNTIL SURGERY!!!

• Like 3