Android phones live Speech to text

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

New app getting great reviews for captioning live voices on android phones 

LIVE TRANSCRIBE

If you test it out, let us know what you think.  

Well, I couldn't wait after learning about it from you, so I downloaded Live Transcribe and poked around until I activated the microphone (it turns red). My husband and  tried it out and, folks, it's amazing, just amazing. I still have a lot to learn about it, so will stop here for now. This has HUGE potential for our community. Lita

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

Keep us updated.  We are an iPhone house so I have not seen it in action yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a play with it too this week. It very accurately showed me a conversation I had with my daughter and husband. It auto corrected with the context of the conversation! My daughter's tiny voice was not as well picked up, but mine and my husband's were fine. Will test in a noisier background next time to see how that goes.

Kylie - happy to meet you. Let's both work at testing this software. My auditory rehab therapist told me yesterday that I need to attend public meetings to gain experience in listening to real people talk, so I'm interested in learning if I can use Live Transcribe in these settings. Questions in my mind include: What if the speaker walks around while talking - will the transcription software pick it up? Can I use my Roger Pen in this scenario? How?  Will I be able to pick up questions from the audience more easily? I will be happy to share my discoveries on this platform! Lita

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

I think it requires WiFi access.

Are you asking if you can use the Roger Pen with LiveTeanscribe?  There is a way to use a Roger Pen with a RogerMyLink neckloop receiver plugged into an iPad to access live transcription through Microsoft Translate I believe.  

I wonder if a remote BT microphone synced with your cellphone would work with LiveTranscribe?

I am attending a public meeting Monday night (March 18) and am trying to find ways to use the tools I have on hand, which are: Roger Pen transmitter and RogerX receiver, Live Transcribe software on my old Android cell phone, my new Artone MAX BT neck loop, and my iPad Pro.  Thanks to you, I have located Microsoft Translator on my iPad and will be spending the next few hours exploring this tool. Given the large meeting room assigned for the public meeting, I am afraid that the iPad's microphone will not be strong enough to pick up the speaker's voice. I am waiting to hear from the promoter about whether the room will be looped, but how will that help the transcription? All of this is making my head spin.

I will be happy if Live Transcribe is updated to handle phone conversations. I have been thinking I’m almost ready for a cell phone and if Live Transcribe could handle the incoming voice somewhat, then that would likely make up my mind I’m ready. I’m in Canada so not able to access Captel etc...

tried Live Transcribe on an old galaxy 4 tablet, seems to work well!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

okay...let’s brainstorm a bit....

We kind of need to think of access in two separate ways.  Auditory access and captioned access.

Are you a Sonnet or OPUS2 user?

Auditory access.....

If the room is looped, just use your Fine Tuner and go on MT or T.  No need for anything else.  If you are not sure if the room is looped, wait until it begins (so the speaker’s voice is going through their sound system) and switch to T via your Fine Tuner.  If it is looped, you will hear it.  If you don’t hear it, it is not looped.

or

Use your Roger Pen and Roger X receiver.  Ask the speaker to wear the Roger Pen.  Have you used this before?  Are you comfortable with how it works?

Your Artone BT neckloop will NOT be helpful in this situation unless you also have the Artone Mic (which is a remote mic) so you can leave it at home.

• HearPeers Heroes

Captioned access....

using LiveTranscribe with WiFi access... doesn’t their info mention having more than 1 device linked in a network?  If so, link two devices and place one on the podium.  What about testing that out at home?

OK, first let me tell you what I learned about the Microsoft Translator on my iPad. See https://translator.microsoft.com/  for more info. It's a gorgeous program for transcribing SHORT statements, no longer than 10 seconds. This is because you have to tap the microphone logo in the app and it's designed to stop recording after that long. Still it's remarkably adept at transcribing correctly and auto corrects much like Google's Live Transcribe. It's worth learning about.

Mary Beth, I have a Sonnet in my right ear. Good advice about testing whether the room is looped. I sure hope it is. It's great for both hearing aid and Sonnet because both have telecoil.

I'm very familiar by now with my Roger Pen/RogerX, and it's pretty good for TV viewing, but it doesn't help my hearing aid ear at all. (Yes, I will probably buy a Roger MyLink to resolve that problem.) No, I won't ask this speaker, a prominent government official, to wear my RP. I shudder at the thought. I would probably try to sit as close to the podium as I could and point the RP discretely in his direction. This approach has worked at home. Note: I asked my husband one time to wear the RP on a lanyard while we took a walk. I'm sorry to say that the sound quality was terrible, and we haven't tried it since. The problem was too much environmental noise getting picked up: rustling clothes, crunching leaves, traffic noise, etc.

Oh, well - about the Artone MAX BT neckloop, too bad. I had hopes for it. By the way, my experience with the Artone TVB transmitter was an unhappy one. I never could pair it with the neckloop, despite numerous email exchanges with both vendor and manufacturer. I finally gave up and got my money back. Both Amazon and the vendor were very gracious about the refund.

Next step: I will experiment with Google's Live Transcribe by trying to record TV newscasters. I hope it doesn't time out like the Microsoft Translator did. Stay tuned.

I use the live Transcribe app this morning for the HLAA meeting  Well pleased with its performance.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

I am happy to have another tech tester in HearPeers!  Keep posting!

If your HA has an optional connector to Roger X (many do) you could just purchase that instead of Roger MyLink.

• HearPeers Heroes

I tried it on my phone again today, this time at a noisy family lunch. It didn't pick up anyone across the table, only myself and occasionally the lady next to me. The phone was placed on the table face up near my plate, I didn't try to point it anywhere in particular. That was today's experiment!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Lita

This is what makes me wonder if you purchase a BT remote mic and sync it to your android phone, will it work with LiveTranscribe?

This would allow you to set the remote mic on a podium, center of a table or clipped to a person.

BB15B622-86C6-4508-A21E-20587F533A6C.png

Unfortunately RTT is the opposite of what I would like to see. Perfect world, I answer cell phone, be able to hold it in front of me to see the screen, use bluetooth ( or roger or telecoil) to hear and live transcribe on the phone display to fill in the gaps (if any) 😀

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

You need an InnoCaption type of provider in Canada!  Great, free service in the US since it is funded by FCC charges I believe.

SpeakSee advertises that it will work with phones BUT it hasn’t been released yet to my knowledge.  It has gotten a lot of attention but until it actually is released we will not know what users think.

50BE7705-6BD4-40EA-AFF8-8FA9154DB32D.png

Interesting. Wasn’t aware of this or Live Transcribe. I guess it’s only a matter of time until what I want is achieved.  Isn’t technology great!

• HearPeers Heroes

I think my timing for becoming deaf was awesome!  Great CI advancements and newer and newer cool tech options everyday!

• 2 years later...