Direct streaming through app or AudioLink

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Lots of discussions going on about whether the Sonnet 2 can directly stream audio from phones through an app or only streams audio through the AudioLink (like Sonnet 1).

Med-El says the AudioKey app communicates directly with Sonnet 2 unlike Sonnet 1 which goes through the AudioLink.  Sonnet 2 has a BT connection.

So far Med-El is advertising the Sonnet 2 as streaming audio through the AudioLink.

The Med-El info on the FCC site mentions direct streaming for Sonnet 2.  Maybe that will be in its future.

Exciting times for Med-El users.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Lots of discussions going on about whether the Sonnet 2 can directly stream audio from phones through an app or only streams audio through the AudioLink (like Sonnet 1).

Med-El says the AudioKey app communicates directly with Sonnet 2 unlike Sonnet 1 which goes through the AudioLink.  Sonnet 2 has a BT connection.

So far Med-El is advertising the Sonnet 2 as streaming audio through the AudioLink.

The Med-El info on the FCC site mentions direct streaming for Sonnet 2.  Maybe that will be in its future.

Exciting times for Med-El users

What It doesn't make much sense under my point if view is not allowing direct connectivity from the very beggining if sonnet 2 has the capability. 

• 3 weeks later...

BT technology was introduced in 1998 bu we still go after 3rd party gear or MFI brands. It should be mandatory in any hearing device in 2019 so that's one big step for our community. Now, fingers crossed for Rondo 3 :) 

• 4 months later...

I so agree with Evron hate to sound negative but my 2000 dollar hearing aids had app control and direct bluetooth. Unfortunately I was to deaf for them to work. Thankful for my implants but at 237000 dollars total thank god for insurance you think it would have these basic functions. the roger system and all that extra gear or a neckloop relying on 1930s tech is a bit of a bummer. But I can hear 😁

Also on this subject the sonnet has bluetooth capability I wonder if the app will work on. med el is always talking up the expandability of our gear 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike

I think I read that Sonnet 1 has built in 2.4 receiver.  That is what the new AudioLink intermediary device uses.

Sonnet 2 seems to have both a built in 2.4 receiver (AudioLink) and a BT receiver (AudioKey app).  But true BT streaming for all audio has not been mentioned yet.

Many of us are eager for that kind of connectivity.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike

It seems to show settings.  It is not released in the US yet so no hands on experience with it yet.

I had implant surgery about 2 weeks ago and started using one of the Sonnet sound processors a few days ago. 

I set up the Audiolink device to connect using bluetooth to my phone. The phone does send the sound thru the audiolink to the Sonnet, but it also doesn't register on the iPhone like a headphone would, and so the iPhone continues to play the sound thru the speakers on the phone as well as thru bluetooth to the device. 

Any solutions to this?

I tried downloading the AudioKey app from Apple and it says it isn't available in the US. 
Thanks
Steve

• HearPeers Heroes

@SteveFromBallard

hmmm....I did not experience that with my iPhone.

Are you referring to direct streaming for phone calls?  Or are you referring to using a A2DP converter app for other audio (music, audiobooks, etc)?

The AudioKey app is not available in the US yet but I don’t think that app will address this issue.

I have an iPhone 8 running OS 13.2

When connecting it to a iPhone or Android phone, the Audiolink is either using the HSP (Handset Profile) or HFP (Hands-free profile), I'm not sure which, I think HSP. This enables phone calls to come through the AudioLink and to your processor. For the audiolink option to show up as a speaker on the iPhone, it needs to use A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). There are A2DP converter apps (e.g. Blue2Car) for the iPhone which allows you to use the Audiolink as a speaker.  There is also a audio/stereo plug at the base of the Audiolink which provides better sound quality than HSP.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

Yup.  I do not like the sound quality of the A2DP converter apps for music.  It does not sound full and rich.

yep.  And to clarify, using the A2DP converter app does not improve the sound and make it stream over A2DP. It just fools the iphone into thinking you have A2DP connected. It still gets downsampled into HSP (worse sound quality). So it's Music -> A2DP converter app (downsamples for HSP) -> Audiolink (HSP) -> Sonnet

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

That helps explain the sound degradation I notice with using the A2DP converter app with my AudioLink.

I find better sound quality with....

BOSE QC 35 BT around the ear headphones 

Direct Audio Input cable

CozyPhones flat stereo headband speakers

and Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop 

I have ended up connecting the iPhone to the AudioLink with the 3.5mm/2.5mm "headphone' cable, the  letting the AudioLink send the signal to the Sonnet. Works fine, but seems a bit like 2005... I'm getting the impression that CI manufactures don't do software or user interfaces that well. 

Steve

• HearPeers Heroes

@SteveFromBallard

The AudioLink sounds a lot better for me when I use the bulky cables too.  But I prefer wireless access to sound so I prefer using the Artone 3MAX BT neckloop.  

Mary Beth, 

When you use the Artone neckloop, are you able to  the sound processor's exterior microphone off? I have been trying to listen to podcasts in the car for ear rehab, but with the AudioLink, the sound processor is also picking up all the random road and car noise. It would be nice to figure out how have only the podcast or other audio source going thru the sound processor to the CI.

Thanks

Steve

• HearPeers Heroes

@SteveFromBallard

When we use the Artone neckloop we can turn off the processor mics completely by choosing the T setting via the FineTuner remote.  We can also chose to mix by choosing the MT setting.  An important thing to remember about being on MT or T in a vehicle is that some vehicles cause electromagnetic interference (EMI) with our telecoil which sounds like buzzing.  So the Artone may not be a good choice to use in some vehicles.

The AudioLink allows us to alter the mix ratio.  Have you tried that feature yet?

https://www.medel.com/support/audiolink

>>>> The AudioLink allows us to alter the mix ratio.  Have you tried that feature yet?

Ahhhh. Bingo! Excellent. Thanks for pointing that out. I missed it entirely.

Any recommendations on vowel focused rehab materials or apps? My CI is for single sided deafness. The other ear works fine.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I was activated yesterday (yay!) and connected my Sonnet 2 to my iPhone X AudioKey app. That worked flawlessly. All options in app in screenshot.

I also see in my Bluetooth settings that my sonnet 2 is connected but I cannot stream directly from my iPhone to my processor with Audible (voice books) or phone calls. I would be so disappointed if I have to use a third party device like Audiolink or Roger Pen/Select to stream from my phone with my Sonnet 2. 

My new HA for non implanted side (Phonak Marvel) streams directly from HA to phone without need for other device. 

I cannot get any advice from my Audiologist because she did not know. I was first one in their hospital who downloaded the Audiokey app. In Ontario Canada we do not have access directly to Medel rep for advice. 

Thoughts? Also posting in Medel Facebook group!

F1DE6F1F-CB5A-4D04-ACE8-9B9DBA726686.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@wpeters

AudioLink is a Med-El propriety device.  It is needed to stream audio from your phone to your Sonnet 2.  The only thing the Sonnet 2 does directly at this point is connect to the AudioKey app for its remote/find my processor functions.

Phone calls will stream phone to AudioLink to Sonnet 2

All other audio from your phone will require using an A2DP converter app running in the background.  It will stream like this....audio converted via the A2DP converter app to AudioLink to Sonnet 2.

Since you are bimodal, it may be more convenient to use the Artone BT neckloop and receive sound on both devices via T or MT.  All sound types from your phone would go....audio from phone to BT neckloop and picked up by CI & HA on MT or T.  I saw the Artone listed for $129 US this week.

• 1 month later...

ok I after another surgery have brand new sonnet 2 😁 I also now have audio link to connect both again 😁 but after connecting everything I cant figure out how to stream music 😑 I have not tried to connect sonnet 2 direct to audio key so I dont have any help on that yet. Has anyone got the audio link to direct stream ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike

The AudioLink ONLY direct streams phone calls.  To listen to music via the AudioLink, our options are.....

1) use the cables and plug into the phone 

2) use an A2DP converter app running in the background to stream wirelessly.  I don’t care for the sound quality of this.