Med-El CI users in Australia

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Tutz67 is in Australia and interested in a Med-El CI.  Other Aussies with Med-El willing to share their experiences?

@Matt

@Kylie

@JessDunn

@Kim

@Paintergal

Who am I missing?

I have had a terrific experience with Fiona Stanley hospital in Perth. All covered under public health. And they only use Medel as far as I know.

@Tutz67 My daughter has them and we use Perth Childrens Hospital for our audiology. We have had a very good outcome for her, few little minor issues but I think that all cochlear products are probably the same, they do their job (help you to hear) very very well. The support we receive from PCH is amazing. @JessDunn ( I forgot my password and locked myself out of my account.....oppps hahaha)

Thanks for all your input, I am going ahead on 4 October - I am deaf on the left - the Audiologist & Med El spec has recommended the Sonnet and Rondo 2 - so, fingers crossed!  I am in South Oz, it seems to be more Cochlear than Med El and AB  used here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Tutz67 is in Australia and interested in a Med-El CI.  Other Aussies with Med-El willing to share their experiences?

@Matt

@Kylie

@JessDunn

@Kim

@Paintergal

Who am I missing?

I have sent a message  saying ask away 😁

• HearPeers Heroes
On 9/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Tutz67 said:

Thanks for all your input, I am going ahead on 4 October - I am deaf on the left - the Audiologist & Med El spec has recommended the Sonnet and Rondo 2 - so, fingers crossed!  I am in South Oz, it seems to be more Cochlear than Med El and AB  used here.

@Daniel the Stranger is somewhere in South Australia, isn't he?

3 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

@Daniel the Stranger is somewhere in South Australia, isn't he?

Good memory @Mary Featherston!! yes I am in South Australia.

@Tutz67 I hope it is not too late, if you need to ask questions just let me know. I live in Adelaide.

Just now, Mary Featherston said:

Hi, @Daniel the Stranger!  Nice to see you here.  I hope you're doing well!

I am!! it has been a busy year, researching to buy our first house which we just did.. and lot of work but good! I also hope you are doing well.

I just realized that @Tutz67 surgeon was the same as mine, very god surgeon.

Thanks Daniel - Surgery went really well. Dr Chawla is exceptional - I feel very fortunate to have been directed  to him.  Healing has been pretty good - a couple of dizzy days but that seems to have passed.  I get activated on Monday and hopefully that goes as good as the surgery.  

• HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific @Tutz67!

Which processors are you getting on Monday?

Soon the fun begins! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, @Tutz67, best of luck with your activation!  It's a cool experience, followed by months more of cool!

@Daniel the Stranger, congratulations on the house!  We just bought one too but it's not our first.  We're knee-deep in paint and cedar plank siding these days.

• Like 1

I am getting the Sonnet and the Rondo 2.  I am curious as to how the sound will differ between them both, and also how/if they operate with Bluetooth - but I guess that is one of the many questions that will be answered next week - I have a 2 hr appointment Monday and 2 hr appointment Tuesday.  Feeling excited and apprehensive at the same time.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tutz67

I remember that combination of feelings very well.  Smile.  

Just remember that activation is only your starting line.  I only heard static and beeps.  Now I hear everything.  It is an incredible journey!

On 10/18/2019 at 10:47 PM, Tutz67 said:

Thanks Daniel - Surgery went really well. Dr Chawla is exceptional - I feel very fortunate to have been directed  to him.  Healing has been pretty good - a couple of dizzy days but that seems to have passed.  I get activated on Monday and hopefully that goes as good as the surgery.  

I hope you had a nice activation. Who is your Audi by the way?

Well I am pleased to say the activation is going great!  The Audi, Louse at Attune Mt Barker, seems pretty pleased with the progress - I've had two mappings and I have started the online rehab, really pleased to say I can understand words, well most of them anyway!  Still have lots of odd and unusual noises but I worked out that if I turn the volume down a little,  it is a little clearer.   I had a bit of a problem with excessive nasal fluid and blood nose, Doc suggests that's the tubes clearing out after the op.  Seems to be pretty good now. Overall I seem to be adjusting quite well, a little confusing sorting out the bedside table with all the accessories - drying box, rechargeable batteries etc....   have managed to work out the Bluetooth/ computer link cords etc.     So exciting and rewarding!   Thanks to you all for your help, advice and support.    Cheers Lorna 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific Lorna!

@Tutz67

I spread out all those things that need to be plugged in at night between rooms.  We do have a lot of stuff!

Enjoy your journey!