Hi from a new user!

Marcy

Hi HearPeers! My name is Marcy and I was recently activated on October 23 at Mass Eye and Ear with a RONDO 2. This forum was so helpful to me when I was agonizing over which brand to choose and when I was worrying about surgery. I read a lot of the posts made here and used that information to make my choice to choose MED EL. 

It's only been about a month but I'm already seeing the benefits of a cochlear implant. I can hear things such as microwave beeps and the chime of the oven alarm! 

Although overall I love the RONDO 2 - it's so great to be able to charge the device overnight and not worry about disposable batteries, the one thing I wish MED EL would have is a stronger magnet. I'm already on the highest level 4 magnet but often times the RONDO 2 slips from my head. It might also be because I have very heavy, thick and curly hair but I'm hoping MED EL would come out with a level 5 magnet one day. I usually use the clothes attachment line so it won't slip and drop when I'm walking outside. Another option to me is that, since my clinic allows me to have a second backup processor, I can swap with the SONNET 2 device which might stick to my head a bit better since it's lighter. Does anyone else have magnet connectivity issues?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marcy

Congratulations and welcome to HearPeers.  I am looking forward to following your journey!

The magnet strength of the DL-coil used with Sonnet 2 will most likely be just fine.  It is a lot lighter than the Rondo 2 since the processor rests on our ears.

Some people with magnet strength issues due to thick hair, have their hair thinned out at the implant spot.

Many people can move to weaker magnets a few months after surgery when internal swelling subsides.

Discuss options with your audiologist.

enjoy your journey!

Thank you @Mary Beth! That's really good to know. I have a hair cut appointment soon so I'll see if that helps me with my magnet problems. It does stick well when I have my hair up so it's not that bad. I'm just getting used to everything anyway.

• HearPeers Heroes

There is a lot to get used to at first!  Feel free to ask questions and share your experiences with us!

@Marcy welcome to HP I am bilateral had my first implant 2016 and second 2018 I have the (2) Sonnet and(1)-Rondo at first I did have the same problem with Rondo 2 falling off a lot had to do with internal swelling try just sliding the Rondo on your head instead of just placing it and try to part as much hair as possible.

Dont get discourage it will all come together 

Keep in touch

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marcy

Did you receive GripWear in your Rondo 2 kit?  It is a sticker that goes on the bottom of the Rondo 2 to help it stay in place better if needed.  If you don’t have one, reach out to your CSR from Med-El or your audiologist and see if you can get a sample to try.

@MED-EL Moderator Can GripWear be used on Rondo 2?

358E4AB9-202C-4C09-99B8-260F57BAA14E.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marcy

Another thought....

Med-El says we can help line up the internal rotating magnet (which makes it hold better) by ....

put Rondo 2 on your head

rotate it to 2:00 position, then back to 10:00 position, then return to 12:00 position

I do this with my Synchrony side when needed too.  It makes a difference for me.

Marcy

congratulations on your activation. I was implanted last March and activated in April also at Mass Eye and Ear. I found the audiologists to be terrific but I must admit I didn’t know the whole process of testing so it was a bit daunting. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about what you will be going through (or at least what I went through). I have both the Sonnet and the Rondo 2 and I usually alternate processors each day. Fortunately I haven’t had a problem with the Rondo2 falling off but I actually use the hair clip just in case. 
good luck. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marcy

@MED-EL Moderator

This morning I could not find this and was perplexed because GripWear is not listed in the Med-El US shop as a Rondo 2 accessory.  But now I found where I saw GripWear works with Rondo 2.

84D31268-F659-42EF-8C7B-56323976DA0F.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Marcy and welcome!  It sounds as though you're doing well.  It's amazing how many little noises there are that you didn't hear before, isn't it?  Right now I'm hearing the swish-swish of a battery-powered cat toy.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for tagging us :) 

@Marcy: Welcome to HearPeers and congratulations on your CI! 

Yes, GripWear can be used with RONDO 2, you can find all fixation options for RONDO and RONDO 2 on our website: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/accessories/fixations 
Your local MED-EL team can also assist you with finding the right fixation option for you. 

Best regards, Verena 

Hi! @Marcy 

Congratulations on your activation and Can you hear all type of voices in all type of places without any problem? As my activation day is coming nearer and I'am also planning for Rondo 2 I want to know something from a new user too 😃

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best @Nischal Koirala!

Everyone’s CI journey starts off differently. I started with static and beeps.  Just this weekend I enjoyed the Broadway musical Frozen and while listening to the awesome performers I heard a young girl giggle nearby.  These CIs are amazing!

• 2 months later...

@Nischal Koirala I'm very sorry I missed your comment! Did you have your activation yet? Yes, I can hear all types of voices in different environments. I used to struggle to have even one-on-one conversations with a friend in quiet restaurants but now I don't struggle anymore. I can also hear well in a meeting room and in a car now!

Feel free to ask me more questions if you want to!

On 11/15/2019 at 7:05 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Marcy

Did you receive GripWear in your Rondo 2 kit?  It is a sticker that goes on the bottom of the Rondo 2 to help it stay in place better if needed.  If you don’t have one, reach out to your CSR from Med-El or your audiologist and see if you can get a sample to try.

@MED-EL Moderator Can GripWear be used on Rondo 2?

358E4AB9-202C-4C09-99B8-260F57BAA14E.jpeg

Thanks @Mary Beth! I'm sorry I missed your helpful comment until now. I need to do a better job of remembering to check my notifications! I did get a GripWear. Right now, the device doesn't slip too much from my head anymore (it only does it if I hop off the bus or train with great force!). 

@Mary Featherston It really is amazing! I can't believe I forgot I wasn't able to hear so many different kinds of noises until now. I'm actually happy to hear birds waking me up in the morning because that means I can hear them!

• Like 1