I am thankful to Med-El for....

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

The wonderful sounds of life returned through my Med-El CIs.

The genuine care and support the Med-El team provides to each recipient.

The Med-El research and development that is always searching for ways for us to hear the best we can.

The Med-El friendships made with employees and other recipients all over the world.

This HearPeers forum where we can celebrate our successes, support each other and ask Med-El direct questions.

What are you thankful to Med-El for this November?

@MED-EL Moderator

• Thanks 1

I’m so very thankful for all the same reasons @Mary Beth listed, plus.....

How much my bilateral hearing has improved the quality of my life

That my age (72 when implanted) was not a deterrent to receiving my implants

That, at the time of my implants (both in 2014), Med-El’s implant was the only one FDA approved for MRIs (which are an ongoing medical necessity for me)

That my implants coincided with a grandchild’s first birthday and I’ve always been able to understand conversations with her since her first words...something I was unable to do with two older grandchildren

I offer very grateful thanks to Med-El for my new hearing, my new friends...for bringing my life to life!😊

• HearPeers Heroes

You have both covered it very well, @Mary Beth and @Joan!

One day this week a woman in the supermarket asked me about my CIs.  Her audiologist is suggesting that she will soon be a candidate and she's nervous.  I told her that it's not like hearing aids, it takes commitment and application.  But that more than anything else I can recall, my CIs have given me my life back.  It really can't be understated.

My thanks to Med-El for that.  I'm loving this.

• Like 2

@Mary Featherston

I live in a senior community that has over 425 residents and I am the only one with CIs! Lots and lots of hearing aids around here though! Just this week, I was contacted by another resident who was recently told by her ENT she needed to consider CIs. She really didn’t even understand exactly what they are and, like the lady you met, was very nervous. My comments to her were identical to yours...it takes serious commitment but the rewards cannot be understated.
I’m loving this journey too...with many thanks to Med-El!😊

• HearPeers Heroes

Last night I got my hair cut at a new place....part of the process of moving to another town.  I explained to the woman who was going to cut my hair about my CIs and how I wanted my hair cut, and in the process knocked the magnet off my implant.  She put it back on and I said, "hey, you got the magnet on the first try!" and we laughed.  I figure the more comfortable she is around my CIs the better off we'll be.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Putting people at ease with our CIs helps everyone.  How are things going in your new town and with your new position?

• HearPeers Heroes
2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Putting people at ease with our CIs helps everyone.  How are things going in your new town and with your new position?

The job's great, I'm glad I made the move.  We are moving slowly.  I've been staying in the new house during the work week because it's so much closer to work, but I only have a daybed and a bedside table, a kitchen table and one chair, and my treadmill.  Oh, we did put a couple of chairs in the living room this week - they won't be there permanently, we'll move them later but it's nice to have a place to sit.  Oh, and the fiber optic's hooked up and I have a TV in the room with the treadmill.  But it's kind of weird with Ron in the other house, and the cats and 90% of my stuff.  I live out of a suitcase.

But from the standpoint of getting the house ready to move into, it really makes it easier to do the work that's needed.  We are replacing some appliances (so far just the microwave and the range hood, they're both kind of icky) and putting in whole-house water filtration because it's well water and smells kind of sulphury.  And painting some walls because the sellers had some really weird taste in paint colors - seriously, one of the kitchen walls was this weird color sort of in between a really dark, dry Burgundy and deep bruise.  It was hideous.  So we're painting and fixing odd things that we find, and one room we're going to put cedar plank wall in there and have a sort of cabin-y effect, I have some old wood XC skis and a pair of snowshoes and a set of canoe paddles that we'll put on the walls.  Lots of work, but better to do it now before we put all our stuff in.  BOOKSHELVES, we need to build a lot of bookshelves.  Luckily my husband has serious handyman skills.  🙂

As for the town - it's nice, not too small, we have a home-improvement store and a good supermarket and a Target.  Not too many choices of restaurants, but we'll be going into the city periodically for Costco runs and CI appointments and dental appointments and so forth because we want to keep all our healthcare providers, so we'll eat Thai and Middle Eastern and what not when we do that.  We're loving the quiet and being out in the country.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great update @Mary Featherston.

Glad you're enjoying your new job. Sounds like the house project will be completed in 2020. Best to get it done the way you envision it before moving everything in, just as you said. I'm sure being bilateral is a big advantage since you have to be the one dealing with the contractors etc. 

Do you find you're more independent now post CI? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel!  We had planned all along to take this winter to try to get the new house ready for us to move in.  Once that's largely complete then Ron can complete some project and do a buff and shine of the old house before we sell it.  I'm not having to deal with contractors - my husband is doing almost all of the work, the only thing we're  hiring contractors for is to build an outbuilding at the new place.  Ron has it all designed so as soon as it's warm enough to build in the spring we'll have it built. 

I wouldn't say that I'm more independent with my CIs - I always was, I'm stubborn that way.  But I'm far more *successfully* independent.  I can hear my flight announced, I can chat with the checkout person at the supermarket.  When we're at the home improvement place I can talk to the people helping us.  Week before last I went to the water treatment company and talked to a guy there about the best filtration systems to install at the house.  I am contrary enough that I used to always TRY to do these things.  Now I do them.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:32 AM, Mary Beth said:

The wonderful sounds of life returned through my Med-El CIs.

The genuine care and support the Med-El team provides to each recipient.

The Med-El research and development that is always searching for ways for us to hear the best we can.

The Med-El friendships made with employees and other recipients all over the world.

This HearPeers forum where we can celebrate our successes, support each other and ask Med-El direct questions.

What are you thankful to Med-El for this November?

@MED-EL Moderator

I am very thankful to Med-El for engineering quality devices and the high level of support that was very important in my decision making process. I am equally thankful for the Doctor that performed the surgery. The Med-El product, support, and the surgeon's knowledge and skills have resulted in success at a level that I never  hoped for or expected. 

I am thankful for the open house at Med-El that I was able to attend 11/3.  I met Amanda Smith there - and she was kind and helpful, and really put me at ease.  I am very impressed with everything so far, which is comforting since my surgery is in 4 days :)