DncTchr2

DncTchr2

Hello...new to the group. I was just approved for my surgery scheduled for Jan 8...bilateral. I have a long history of really loud tinnitus that in the past year has seen a new sound when I move my head side to side or when I walk...I am pretty nervous about the surgery and seem to stay up very late each night reading as much as I can about it all...I am 55 years old...implants were suggested 2 years ago, but I was too worried about loss of taste, surgery in general, etc...I own my own business and teach young kids dance...I can no longer hear what my students are saying to me, talk on the phone, etc...it has been helpful to be on here reading different experiences...I think the most important thing I have gleaned is that outcome is predicated by attitude...going with, "expect the worst and you will be pleasantly surprised..."  

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming bilateral CI surgery!  Which processor did you choose?

I showed up at my first CI activation hoping that I would hear the 12 beeps and that they would not sound the same.  😊 I got my wish and left the office smiling ear to ear while listening to static and beeps in an ear that had not heard anything for 24 years.  Things improved fast.  5 hours later I understood my first words.  Incredible journey.

A positive mindset helps on this journey.

Wishing you the best!

I have enjoyed reading your posts...saw the one about the word recognition on the ride home...love how positive you are.  

I chose the Rondo 2 and the Sonnet with the intention of switching out for the Sonnet 2 when it becomes available here in US.  I think my biggest concern is the post op...I am surrounded by people who want me to succeed, which I know will help immensely.

Thanks very much for your good thoughts...oh so grateful! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

I have had tinnitus since the age of 13.  When my right ear became completely deaf following a surgery to treat Meniere’s, the tinnitus in that side became very loud 24/7.  As my hearing loss in my left ear progressed, the tinnitus in my left ear grew louder and louder.

Here is what happened to the tinnitus in my ears post CI surgery and then activation.

Right ear

Awoke from CI surgery to absolutely no tinnitus in that ear.  Shocking silence.  It came back but remained so much quieter. After activation I no longer noticed the tinnitus while the processor is on.  But at night during the first few months when I removed the processor, the tinnitus was loud and strange.  I decided my ear had a right to protest after having to process so much new sound all day and just accepted it as a phase.  It stopped in time.  Now it is quiet tinnitus at night only.  Smile.

Left ear

Awoke from surgery to a strange gentle marimba sound of tinnitus.  Odd but quiet and quite lovely.  This ear did not experience loud tinnitus at night after activation. Now it is quiet tinnitus at night only.

I hope you are as fortunate.  Keep us posted.

Thank you again...I actually cannot imagine my life without the tinnitus...it is crazy loud 24/7...keeping very good thoughts I will have a similar experience...I will update as the process continues...thank you again Mary Beth...

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2 good luck!  I have had tinnitus since I was 15.  It's still there - right after surgery it was a bit louder but that receded and now it's at a lower volume.  I don't hear it at all when I have other sounds through my processors but at night it's still there.  I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me.

You're at the beginning of an amazing journey -best of luck!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

If you are interested in a pdf I created with links to aural rehab activities that helped me,  just reach out to me through FB messenger.  I can share the pdf that way but cannot share it through HearPeers.

@MED-EL Moderator Is there a way for us to upload pdf files in HearPeers ?

Thank you Mary...mine has been loud and constant for years...not exactly sure when it started, but cannot remember not having it...cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the good thoughts!

I would love that Mary Beth...I will reach out to you soon. I appreciate your time and experience...Happy Saturday ladies! 

Congrats on your upcoming surgery I am bilateral my first implant 2016 and second 2018 .

Both surgery were a pice of cake for me I was very lucky.

Going bilateral was the best decision I made.

Good luck keep us posted.

Hi @Mary Beth

thanks for your question. You should be able to upload pdf files in the "choose files" section at the bottom of the text box. 

Could you please try again and let me know if it works? 

Best, 

Verena 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator  WOW I never knew that!

Will someone test the pdf above and tell me if you can view it and download it?  I have several PDFs to share if it works.

24 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

The post above is in pdf format but @Joan tested it and gets Unavailable

Any suggestions?

Hi @Mary Beth, I just tested it and I was able to open the file. Maybe try another one to check? 

Thanks! 

Verena

Hi @Mary Beth, Unfortunately we can't work out why some people can see this and others can't. I will investigate more, but in the meantime I have taken a screenshot of the pdf so everyone can view it. 

Thanks, 

Mary 

rondo2.JPG

• Like 2