A week in your life as a CI user

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

What does a week in your life with your CIs look like?

Do you use different programs for different settings?

Do you adjust volume or sensitivity?

Do you use different processors for different settings/activities?

What assistive tech items do you use?  How/when do you use them?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am a bilateral Med-El CI user who puts my processors on in the morning and just goes about my day.  I stay in one program always.  I do not adjust volume nor sensitivity.  I use my Fine Tuner when I want to switch to T.

I use the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop to listen to audiobooks.

I switch to my Rondos in waterwear for water use..... pool, ocean, hot tub, boating...anytime my processors may get wet.

I typically alternate between my Sonnet and Rondo 2 each day. Meaning one day I’ll wear the sonnet and the next the rondo 2. I rarely change volume or programs.  If I’m driving with me wife or if we are in a very noisy environment I’ll use the roger select and neck loop changing to T with the fine tuner. Unfortunately music still sounds terrible no matter what processor or program I use 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

Do you have a preference between your Rondo 2 and your Sonnet 1?  

• HearPeers Heroes

I put on my processor just before leaving the house. I prefer to wear my Rondo2 most days and wear my Sonnet on days that I know I will have meetings. When I have meetings I use the Roger Pen which is a great help. 

If I have a webinar to watch on my PC I take out my Artone 3 Max and switch to T. Thankfully it works with both Rondo2 and Sonnet. 

I stay in the same program all day usually. I don't remember what maps I was given at my last appointment but I find I stay on the third one most of the time. 

If I wore the Sonnet to work when I get home I put on the Rondo2. 

If I go to the gym I wear the Sonnet cos Rondo2 keeps falling off if I jump. Thankfully I use a tether so it doesn't fall to the ground. 

If I'm going to a conference I prefer my Sonnet. 

I hardly watch TV but if I'm watching my old TV at home I wear my Sonnet and put the Roger Pen before one of the TV speakers. With newer TVs I hear just fine with the processors alone. But my TV at home is over 11 years. So this "hassle" is temporary. 

@Mary Beth

i think I hear better with my sonnet but the difference is marginal which is why I alternate daily. The rondo is more comfortable and the battery lasts all day which is a big plus over the sonnet rechargeables (and when I use the disposables I’m really never sure when the will go dead).  Bottom line - I don’t have a preference. But I’m 10 months post activation and neither of them give me the results I had hoped for at this point. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

I swap the disposable batteries in my Sonnets on a schedule (every other morning) so I never have to worry about an inconvenient dead battery alert.

If you want to discuss ways of training, I am always happy to chat.  Sometimes training brings desired changes.  Sometimes MAPping tweaks bring desired changes.  Sometimes time brings the changes.  Interesting journeys.

I am bilateral I put my processors on in the morning at 6:30AM and I typically go to bed at 1:00-130 AM which I then take my processors off.i use the disposable batteries 95% of the times and change batteries every morning as I am up say about 15-18 per day.

I only use the rechargeable batteries which came with the processors when I am home all day,I find the disposable batteries to be cost effective and there are stores that will take the disposable batteries for recycling .I have the Sonnet and one Rondo 2 I wear Rondo2 about 90% percent of the time I do carry the spare Sonnet with me I if I am going in a noisy environment.

I don’t use any neck loop other then my Roger Pen for T.V. and a weekly meeting. I never change my settings and very seldom have my fine tuner with me.

I do prefer Rondo over Sonnet .

Dave

do you prefer the Rondo 2 because you hear better, it’s more comfortable, the battery lasts all day or something else?

I am bilateral I put my processors on in the mor at 6:30AM and I typically go to bed at 1:00-130 AM which I then take my processors off.i use the disposable batteries 95% of the times and change batteries every morning as I am up say about 15-18 per day.

Hi John in regards to your question I prefer Rondo 2 for the following reasons yes I do find it’s more comfortable battery last all dat quick charging easy to pack when travel .
The only discomfort I have is using Rondo 2 in noisy environment such as restaurants and I am not giving up I am mind set it mind over matter I don’t use any neckloop I only use Roger Pen with sonnet on occasions 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Joan has a special program on her Rondo 2 processors that are specifically for noise.  Maybe she will post about how her clever audiologist set that up.

Thanks for the info I don’t see my audiologists till October for my yearly check I will put this on my ask audiologists note pad

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Mary Beth

While I don’t know anything about the actual program my audiologist set up, what I have (as an additional program, used only when necessary) is a program that retains my levels of  “everyday” hearing in terms of voices, etc that I want to focus on but, at the same time, significantly reduces the extraneous, distracting background noises (such as in a restaurant or even in some stores). To achieve that, while she was doing the MAPping, my audiologist had me listen to a YouTube video (on her cellphone) designed to emulate a noisy bar/cocktail lounge. That allowed me to tell her what I was hearing, what was too distracting, etc and she was able to make the necessary adjustments in my program until we finally got it right. I’ve had several noise reduction programs over the years but I found listening to an actual noisy situation significantly helped her make more precise adjustments than previously. 

• Like 2

@Joan

@Mary
Thanks so much I am making copy of this to share with my audiologists in October on my year visit 

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Bilateral here, with Sonnets and Rondo2s.  Each morning I get up and do my shower and whatnot, have breakfast and then when I get dressed I put on the processors.  I'd probably do it earlier but my husband doesn't get up when I do.  I use Sonnets for work and usually don't change the program at all unless there's a lot of background noise and then I change from Omni to Adaptive.

I wear my processors till I go to bed.  Hearing has become my default condition again. 

• HearPeers Heroes
15 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Are you still switching to your Rondo 2s when you are not at work?

Yes, but it's not daily now because I haven't brought my chargers out to the new house.  (Yes, we're still working on it....)  But I use them pretty much exclusively on weekends, unless we go to a restaurant.  Anyplace with background noise I still prefer Sonnets.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I chatted with a Rondo user who uses her Rondos almost all of the time but carries her Sonnets with her to switch to in noise.

I chatted with another Rondo user who uses her Rondos for everything except work, where she relies on her Sonnets for adaptive mic setting.

@Joan has special programs on her Rondo 2s for use in noise so she just switches to those programs when needed.

I have been using my OPUS2 processors all of the time.  They are similar to Rondo 1 and Rondo 2 since they have one omni mic and use omni mic setting.

It is good that we have choices so everyone can find what works best for them.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth oh, I'm really glad to have the option of the Rondo2s.  Some days my ears get fairly irritated by the Sonnets and it's nice to give them a rest.  But I do like the two mics on the Sonnets.