Stay safe everyone

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Thinking of you all during this pandemic.  Wishing you and your loved ones good health.

Thank you @Mary Beth my wife and I are on self imposed lock down in our house. We are not sick but at almost eighty years of age we do not  want to take a chance.  Everyone please be careful out there.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth. Ten confirmed cases here when on Monday there were none.

Looks like I will have to cancel my mapping appointment for April. I wish we could be mapped remotely. 

Everyone keep safe. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Great plan @Tommy C.  Stay safe.

@Jewel I may have to cancel my MAPping appt as well.  At times like these remote MAPping would be very helpful indeed.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Bethmaybe one day remote mapping will be a reality. I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for that. 

I am suppose to get my Sonnet 2 very soon. My audiologists will just have to hold it for me a while. My Rondo 2 is working fine so I can wait.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybe this pandemic will speed up access to remote MAPping.  Unfortunately most of the studies I have read involve going to a special office in your community for the remote MAPping.  In this situation, that would not help.  We need remote MAPping from our home computer somehow.

@Jewel

Thank you @Mary Beth. The same to you and your family. Also to everyone here on heerpeers forum.

I live out in the campo with parents, both in their late 70s. Like other countries we are in lockdown mode here. 

my activation date this week had to be cancelled. Although the hospital has said they running as normal over the weekend. Thankfully they have put the processor aside for me.

As we are house bound now, travelling down to the coast, is a no no and without a doubt be stopped by the Guardia civil or the Policia Local demanding our reasons for travel. Admittedly a hospital appointment true but not urgent.....

So will have to judge how things are before getting in touch with the hospital for another appointment. Personally I think it will be a while. I am gutted is an understatement but better to be safe than sorry at the moment, especially as I live with aging parents, they come first.

I have equally older family in the UK........late 80s, 90s!!!! It is a worrying time for all. 

Keep calm and stay safe, go careful folks!

@Jewel @Mary Beth  may be one day. I think it would be a fantastic idea remote mapping.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

I am sorry about your activation.  Being safe is of course most important.  And the safety of our older family members especially.  But I am sorry for the delay in your activation.  Stay safe and keep us posted.

Things are all getting cancelled here as well and many hospitals have cancelled all elective surgeries.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tommy C I live in Jamaica. I have to fly to Miami for my mappings. The flight is almost two hours.

@Mary Beth I didn't know that's the kind of remote mapping they are considering. I was hoping it would be something that could be done over the PC.

@Tracey_66 I'm so sorry to hear that your activation has been delayed. I hope you won't have to wait too long to get activated. Do you have an unimplanted ear that you can hear from? 

@Jewel sadly no, I don't have an implanted ear to hear from.  The activation for the left ear can wait. Fortunately, my family have got used to me miss understanding things!!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66I'm a leftie too. I had to return to work for about two weeks until activation and I couldn't hear a thing! Just had to rely on lipreading. Good that you have an understanding family. That helps a lot. 

@Mary BethThank you for that. Have down loaded onto my phone and my kindle both android devices ( my laptop is in bits at the moment).

I have watched your video about the livetranscribe. I think I may have to get a Bluetooth mic, as although it picks up speech, it is no way as zippy as in your video. It is not picking up continuously.  It stops and starts then hangs. There is a chance that it is dilect problem. I'm transcribing the BBC news which as expected have variations in speech.

Having said that it is impressive, it does correct itself, when it does transcribe. So not sure what the problem is at the moment...

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmmmm

be sure to have selected the most appropriate language in settings.

It does require very good WiFi connection.

In quiet it works wonderfully without a BT mic.

I wonder what is making it so sluggish for you?

c@Mary Beth@Mary BethThank you for that. Have down loaded onto my phone and my kindle both android devices ( my laptop is in bits at the moment).

I have watched your video about the livetranscribe. I think I may have to get a Bluetooth mic, as although it picks up speech, it is no way as zippy as in your video. It is not picking up continuously.  It stops and starts then hangs. There is a chance that it is dilect problem. I'm transcribing the BBC news which as expected have variations in speech.

Having said that it is impressive, it does correct itself, when it does transcribe. So not sure what the problem is at the moment.

@Mary Beth Not sure at the moment. I'm going to try a few things. Tomorrow will have a look at the router setup . Have looked up in settings on both devices, don't see a problem but then as you say it depend s on the WiFi available. 

There is possibly ram/ memory issue so will check that too.

Still puzzling.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

Keep us posted.  Maybe someone who is skilled in tech can offer suggestions.

Stay ar home, do not get out if you have nothing urgent to do.

I live in paris france, things changed at an incredible rate. Just 1 week ago it was like the virus did not existed.

On sunday some were still out taking sunbathes denying. Today the whole country is in lock down.

The shit is real, italy and spain are learning it the hard way and for France it is begining now we are going to follow them because people did not believe even knowing what happened to our italian neibourghs.

We asians have made stocks since at least 1 month and we wore the masks, many westerners were in deny making fun of us for the masks.

Stay safe, do not meet people. Call them. Prepare yourself.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

We started to use distance instruction today.  And I thought if you.  Since LiveTranscribe is giving you some problems.

If you open Google Chrome as your browser and sign in (google gmail accounts are free to set up)....

then look near the top right for an icon that is a 3x3 display of 9 tiny grey boxes and click on it

look through the options that pop up to find Hangouts and click on it

start a video chat and select CAPTIONS ON

Evrrything that your laptop hears through its mics will be automatically captioned below the video .

You don’t actually need to be video chatting with anyone.  Just start a video chat and turn on captions.

When your family approaches you and the mic picks up their voices, it will caption what they say.

• HearPeers Heroes

We are still going to work - one thing you can't do remotely is manufacture tape.  But we are cancelling in-person meetings and we all try to stay 6 feet apart.  Anyone with symptoms or who has been in contact with someone with symptoms is required to stay home and self-isolate.  We are lucky in that 3M will pay people while they're self-isolating and our health coverage pays for the tests.  So far no confirmed cases in either the county I work in or the one I live in.  If I could stay home and ride it out I'd be very confident indeed that we wouldn't catch is, we are way out in the country - our closest neighbor is a quarter of a mile up the road.

I do have an audiology appointment in May.  Depending on what's happening then I may cancel.  I don't really want to be remapped anyway - last time we made just minor adjustment, and yet my brain acted like it was a huge change and everything sounded crappy for four months.  I'm not really willing to lose four months of pleasant listening every six months!  I'm happy with my mapping.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

People are reporting that their MAPping appts are getting cancelled at some CI centers.  Every hour more and more things close down to try to keep people safe.

Whenever you do have your next MAPping appt, you can request no changes.  Smile.

My audiologist calls it an OLD FAVORITE.  No need to tweak something that is working great.  I like when that happens.

I know I need a tweak soon but time will tell if my appt goes on as planned.  

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth if the situation in May hasn't changed much (and I suspect it won't have) then I'd be surprised if my appointment weren't cancelled.  Even our veterinarian is only seeing ill and injured animals, not doing checkups.