AudioStream dampen our mics?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

When I attach the Roger 21 Sonnet battery cover to my Sonnet and not turn on the Roger transmitter, there is a noticeable dampening (quiet) to how everything sounds with my Sonnets mics.  Audiologists have commented about the same effect with their patients and some have created a special program/MAP to use when the Roger 21 is attached to offset this dampening.

Does the same thing happen when the AudioStream is attached and you are not streaming?  Do your Sonnet mics sounds quieter than normal?

No. When anything starts playing however, there is a noticeable “thunk” sound and THEN the mics are softer (even if I turn the volume down to one tiny bit above mute). Seems they are actively engaging the mic attenuation when streaming starts, rather than passively engaging it all the time. 

When streaming stops there’s another “thunk” and the mics come back on 100%. 

The “thunk” sound is quirky but not bothersome at all.

I can confirm Justin's comment.

But using forum.hearpeers.com on my iPhone with the AudioStreams attached is annoying for me. Everytime I am navigating through the menus or moving the viewport then the AudioStream start "thunking" and transmitting a silent noise all the time as if a video is starting to play on this site. I did not find any property on this forum to disable this behaviour.

By using AudioLink you can just power off AudioLink. With AudioStream you have to switch the battery cases all the time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

That is a relatively new annoying feature of being on the HearPeers forum.  It behaves as if there is audio and it gives unpleasant audio signals when streaming now.  Even with the Artone.

@MED-EL Moderator are you able to have this fixed for us? It is quite unpleasant.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for tagging us! 

I will check with our experts and let you know as soon as possible. 

Kind regards, Verena

Yeah, I was going to say that for me this behavior is actually interesting and helpful for my job! For some of my work, I need to know what applications set up to play and/or record sound and when. This thunking sound is actually significant to me, but it's completely undetectable on audio headphones. My AudioStream is giving me a work super-power! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

very interesting!  It is quite noticeable on the Artone too.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:38 PM, Dani said:

I can confirm Justin's comment.

But using forum.hearpeers.com on my iPhone with the AudioStreams attached is annoying for me. Everytime I am navigating through the menus or moving the viewport then the AudioStream start "thunking" and transmitting a silent noise all the time as if a video is starting to play on this site. I did not find any property on this forum to disable this behaviour.

By using AudioLink you can just power off AudioLink. With AudioStream you have to switch the battery cases all the time.

@Dani @Mary Beth

Hi again, we have forwarded your feedback to our product experts here at MED-EL. I can understand that this is an unpleasant situation for you. Please be assured that our experts are always working on improving our products (and your feedback is highly appreciated). But at the moment we can’t give you a timeframe when this specific issue will be fixed.

Kind regards, Verena 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Thank you.

It is a problem with the forum and not our processors as it occurs with the Artone neckloop as well when streaming audio while opening the forum.  Just to be clear.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for clarifying and your feedback.

We are in touch with the software developers of the forum-system to check if it is possible to deactivate the notification sounds on a user-level and/or in general for the whole forum. We'll keep you updated.

Kind regards, Barbara 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Barbara!

It may be helpful to tell them that it is not actually notification sounds.  When we are connected via BT and streaming audio while exploring online, we can go to countless websites without hearing anything unpleasant.  However rather recently, when going to the HearPeers forum it makes sounds as if we were listening to audio on the forum.  A thunk sound and static.  I hope this helps.  The forum was not doing this before.

@MED-EL Moderator

• HearPeers Heroes

deleted by Mary Beth

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for letting us know! 

Even though it does not seem to be notification sound, could you please check if the notification sound are disabled for you? So we can let our software developers know for further investigations. 

Here's how to change the notification settings: Click on your profile/user name - go to "account settings" - choose "notification settings" within the "other settings" list - scroll down to the bottom. 

Make sure the box marked in yellow on the photo below is unticked. 

Thanks for your help!

Verena

NotificationSettings.JPG

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Yes my acct has sound notifications turned off.

Also this issue has started even though I have not changed any of my settings.

31B39D03-E2CB-4565-B555-259AEA99FFA1.jpeg

Just a quick jump back to thank Marie Beth for the suggestion of a Roger 21 mapping. Never occurred to me and I’m annoyed when I get out to discover I forgot to change covers. Much appreciated.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

It is very helpful to have a Roger 21 MAP that is not dampened.  I’m glad you like the idea.  Keep us posted!

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, MED-EL Moderator said:

@Dani @Mary Beth

Hi again, we have forwarded your feedback to our product experts here at MED-EL. I can understand that this is an unpleasant situation for you. Please be assured that our experts are always working on improving our products (and your feedback is highly appreciated). But at the moment we can’t give you a timeframe when this specific issue will be fixed.

Kind regards, Verena 

Hello @MED-EL Moderator,

is there an update on the noticable sound while scrolling in the forum?

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Hello @MED-EL Moderator,

is there an update on the noticable sound while scrolling in the forum?

Hi @Dani, thanks for checking on this issue. We are in touch with our MED-EL product experts as well as with the company hosting the HearPeers forum platform. Unfortunately, there is no solution we can offer you at this point. If we have any updates for you, we'll let you know. 

Best, Verena 

To be clear, is this on a mobile device or computer?

For computer: Which OS (Windows, Mac, Chrome, etc)

For phone: IOS, Android, other.. ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @Dani, thanks for checking on this issue. We are in touch with our MED-EL product experts as well as with the company hosting the HearPeers forum platform. Unfortunately, there is no solution we can offer you at this point. If we have any updates for you, we'll let you know. 

Best, Verena 

Hi Verena,

It looks like the sound no longer exists while moving around on the forum (using Safari on iPhone and AudioStream). Thank you for the update! 🙂

• Like 2

Just want to add my voice to the contingent of Audiostream users who are unhappy about not being able to mute our mics during AudioStream use. I understand it's possible for Sonnet 2 using the AudioKey app, but for Sonnet 1 users, we have no ability to change this. A visit with my audiologist and call to MedEl confirmed this. 

We NEED to have this ability ASAP. I find myself not taking the AS with me on trips because I know the times I would want to use it (i.e., on the plane, in noisy airports, etc.) will be useless due to background noise interference. Really disappointing that an otherwise great product would be limited like this, and response from the company in addressing it is slow. C'mon, MedEl, GET MOVING and fix this ASAP.

• HearPeers Heroes

@StarStuff

I have programs with sensitivity set at zero percent to try with AudioStream to see if those programs, along with possibly lowering Sonnet volume and increasing device volume will approximate streaming audio only.

I am not aware of a way for Sonnet 2 users to stream audio at 100/0 mix.  I thought the situation with mixing audio with AudioStream applied to both Sonnet versions.

AudioLink allows Sonnet/Sonnet2 to control the mix but I am not a fan of the AudioLink audio quality.

We tried setting up a program with mic sensitivity at zero % and it did nothing for me. Actually, sensitivity settings have never really had much of an effect on my maps. Not sure why. 

I believe my Audiologist said there was a way to change the settings on the AudioKey app for Sonnet 2 users to mute the mics. She may have been wrong, but I think she got that directly from MedEl (she was on the phone with them during my mapping).

Bottom line is this is an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. The AudioStream is great, but it's essentially useless for me except in quiet environments.

Also, yes, I didn't bother on spending the non-refundable hundreds of dollars on the AudioLink based on reviews of people I trust (like you and Joe D.)

• HearPeers Heroes

@StarStuff

I would love that to be true about a mix ratio option of 100/0 with AudioStream and Sonnet 2. It is on my Med-El wish list.  I just haven’t heard anything about it yet.  I will keep my eyes open and fingers crossed.