Rondo?

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Has anyone got any information on the new Med El Rondo?

Don't know what it is........google it and check it out.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adam

• Matt

• Sandy

• jpl2ci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Erin, I saw that as well but was hoping that as this is the Med El forum there might be a bit more information.

Probably keeping it quiet until the official release.............Pablo......are you there........????

I'm interested! Maybe they will fade out the BTE hook type on next upgrade?

I'm guessing they would have to have a thin cord link to the ear somehow preventing losing it?

• 1 month later...

I'd like to know where the microphone will be? I use Bose headphones A LOT, and if the microphone is on the headpiece, I am not sure how I am going to wear my headphones. Also, how does one use a phone if the microphone is on the headpiece? Won't this force the mouthpiece of the phone up too high for the person on the other end of the line to hear me well?

Alexa, you've asked some very interesting questions on using peripherals devices with the Rondo. I'm curious on the wear ability of the Rondo, too. Is there a retaining device to keep from losing it, headwear (caps and helmets) and just how well it will stay on. So far Med-El hasn't posted further information and limitation on using on the Rondo.

Thanks, Sid, for your reply. For me this question of how the mic on the processor is situated is tied of course to peripherals in general. I found myself very frustrated by bluetooth peripherals, esp. the Noizefree systems (I tried the ear hooks) and even my old trusty  Phonic ear neckloop. My frustration had to do with the distance of the peripherals from the processor. The ear hooks did not work very clearly unless I held them in a different position from their "normal sitting" position on the ear. Since I was having to hold the hook in exactly the right spot, I gave up on it b/c it wasn't very hands-free in the end. DItto for the neckloop.

I haven't used my t-coil on my opus 2 at all -- it tends to pick up static anyway. And the sounds I receive through the microphone are just fine -- even beautiful with Bose. When I wear my Bose and watch Netflix, I don't need captions. I don't get that quality with the neckloop. I use my Bose headphones for computer, desk land phone, and cell phone. At meetings, I don't need peripherals -- but my Ipad does so that I can record meetings with better sound! I use a table top mic leftover from my hearing aid days. In other words, my iPad uses my old FM system -- I don't ! :) :)

I would really love the rondo -- but if I can't wear Bose headphones with it, I'm not sure how I'd use it. Doesn't seem to make much sense to have those on, and then switch back to the Behind-The-Ear models for everytime I want to use the phone.

I also note that when I play soccer -- it's the magnet that falls off, not the BTE portion. I'd be fine with wearing the rondo under a hat or something to keep the magnet in place -- but if hte microphone is then under the hat....??

I sure hope someone over at Med El will give a little more info on this -- at least whether they've thought about this.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can't wait for the Rondo - the ear hooks really annoy me and I would put up with some trouble using the phone for the one piece.

My concern is the relative increase in weight may require a stronger magnet and therefore increase the risk of tissue damage - hopefully my concerns are unfounded.

I don't think any of us will know until it's launched expected in Spring 2013 http://www.medel.com/int/show/index/id/1029/title/RONDO

Have spoken to my Audiologists at Addenbrookes Hospital and they don't even know much about it, their main concern are the weight, the thickness and easily lose it. Not sure if the rechargeable battery is in the pipeline. I also think they won't upgrade until ours unless it's faulty but I suppose there's nothing stopping us paying for it and might have to see the bank manager though!

• 3 weeks later...

To make myself clear I am not a cochlear implanter, but I've been implanted with the middle ear implant which uses the Amade processor. And since I really like to keep up on things for hearing impaired users like myself I've taken a few glances at the newly announced Rondo for cochlear implanters and from what I've read it seems to have some of the same features as my processor, the Amade. I also noticed a few of the same questions I had when I first received this implant/processor. How will it stay on? How will I use headphones? How will I be able to use the telephone? I have to say, it took a lot of re-learning and a lot of research to be able to tackle these now seemingly simple fixes.

How will/How well does it stay on? - Honestly, I've never had my processor ever "fall" off my head. However, my processor came with fishing line and a small metal clip that I was able to clip into my hair. So if the situation were ever to arise where it might fall off it would simply dangle from my hair. The only place I felt uncomfortable with it would be at amusement parks. I took it off to ride those lighting speed roller coasters in fear that it would blow out of my hair too. Yikes. I also read that a lot of VSB users with the Amade would wear headbands and tight hats when exercising and other high activities to keep their processor in place. In my particular experience, wearing hats/headbands does not seem to get in the way of the microphone picking up sounds and I don't receive any feedback or scuffling noises from it being up against it.

How will I use headphones? - I've had some difficulties with this one. It's not until recently that I've really found something with a better solution than what I was using. As a vibrant young adult I enjoy music and watching Netflix on the computer... So I really struggled with using headphones. At first I wore over the head headphones, but placed the piece that would normally go over the head across my forehead. This works pretty well, but is obviously silly looking and not very comfy. After looking at other options I found a site called www.tookshats.com. There you will find headbands and even hats that will let you move the left and right side receiver anywhere within the headband. For me, this was a major plus because I am only implanted unilaterally. So I was able to move the receiver to my implant, but also able to reach my ear level. What a blessing that find has been. My next step would be to see if I could find better receivers to place in the headband.

Will I be able to use the telephone and will the other person be able to hear me? - Simply, yes and yes. As we know it takes lots and lots of adjusting after implanting... For me, the telephone was another of those hard, but doable adjustments. At first for me, phones that have indents where the sound is coming out were significantly easier to use with my implant. After becoming adjusted to lifting my phone just slightly higher to the processor it just becomes habit. I would advise for the first few times to have someone run a few "test calls" with you to get the feel of it. I've never had any problems with the other person being able to hear me. I find that a lot of cellular phones even place the microphone on the bottom of the phone rather than on the front or back of the phone. So any scuffling from running up against your cheek seems to be non-existent.

I thought I would share my similar experiences to those of you having some questions, when it seems that the cochlear Rondo and the VSB Amade are having similar features. I'm also willing to answer any questions if you have any. :)

Kelly --

Thank you so much for your detailed description of how you've made the processor work with secondary devices. I checked out Tookshat, and that looks really promising for a lot of peripherals. But -- and I hate to rain on your success -- how does one hook a mic into tookshat?

I use Boseheadphones with all my peripherals, including my cell and any landline phone. My bose headphones have an inline mic -- so I can make calls as well as listen to general audio using one headset. I also like to use these on the plane for audio b/c when I use my t coil on the plane, there is a very slight static interference signal (plus, my t coil doesn't quite give me the clarity and volume that I get through the processor mic). And of course, Bose has a noise cancelling feature. Granted, it's possible that my t coil program needs to be adjusted by my audiologist....?

Ideally, there'll be some way to keep using the Bose with the Rondo. Although I experimented with putting the bose on the top of my head where I have my one processor (currently unilaterally implanted, looking to get other side done in March), and the bose just sort of slid off the top of my head. Maybe I could hack the headphone ear pieces on to a different style headband.... :) :) :)

Thanks so much for everyone's input :)

-Alexa

I was just at my second anniversary post implant/activation assessment and actually asked about the Rondo.  My audiologist brought out the Med El marketing and sales package which included about a half dozen Rondo shells in different colours.  As expected from the earlier pictures, it's thicker than the existing headpiece, even with the strongest magnet attachment.  The device takes 3 HA-type batteries set in a semi-circle within the device, and I haven't heard of any rechargeable options at this time.

Trying it on I immediately noticed the difference NOT having something over the ear makes.  It was like I wasn't wearing a processor at all.  Even though my Concerto is small and very light, not having something over the ear really gives one a 'sense of freedom' that I think many can identify with.  I'm pretty sure there will be initial challenges with headphones and telephones, much as I had when I was first set up, but if anyone can adapt, it would be CI users like us.

My biggest concern is the thickness of the device.  I enjoy recreational skiing and wear a helmet now, but even with careful fitting, I find my headpiece keeps shifting off the implant area; something that would only be exacerbated with a thicker device.  My audiologist says that they will be available within the next few months.

Hi All and John,

1) My headpiece is always falling off during soccer, but my ear piece stays on pretty well. I'm going to have to start wearing something to keep the headpiece in place -- I just hope that the Rondo doesn't need a whole lot more than say, a baseball hat snugly fit.

2) Interesting reply from Tooks.com (recommeded by Kelly) -- they are coming out soon with an inline mic. Here is Tooks' reply to my inquiry:

Thanks for your email.  You are correct that the Tooks earphones can be positioned anywhere within the hat or headband that you need, especially in your case where they need to be above the ear.  With regards to the mic, we are actually coming out with a Bluetooth module soon (likely by Feb) that the Tooks cord will plug in to for listening to music, and it also has a built-in microphone for handling phone calls.  It also has a small clip for attaching to clothing or to the hat itself, so that it could be positioned near your mouth as you mention.

Best regardsTooks Customer Service

In some of my more vigorous activities, I switch in the strongest magnet on the headpiece and if necessary, channel the 1980s by adding a headband.  I think the length of hair and its movement may have some effect on things as well if the headpiece can't sit directly on skin.

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I guess I am probably the odd man out here but quite frankley I don't have any issues wearing the earhook. Does it come off at time times? yep, but for the most part I don't even remember it is there. curious to see what the Rondo feels lke but don't know that I would be the first person in line to get one. Rather wait to get some reviews first.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the Rondo at all. I was actually asked if I wanted it instead of the BTE as a backup since my activation is right around the time Rondo will be coming out worldwide. My audi only showed me a picture (actually it looked more like a fax) of what the Rondo would look like. I am not sure about it and she couldn't answer any of my initial questions about the Rondo other than it takes batteries which are not rechargeable. I have been using hearing aids since I was 6 years old, my ears have adapted to having something hanging around them (be it the hearing aids or my glasses) that I see no point in getting the Rondo at this point. I too don't want to be the first in line to get it, I would like to see the test results and hear from others on what works and what doesn't. I'm sure there are going to be some kinks that need to be ironed out but I don't want to be the "tester".

I will be the first adult Med-El user in my state, kids have had med-el but at the Children's Hospital. So this is going to be all new to me, the adult audiologist and the adult hospital.

Mere

I've been looking into the Rondo for my upcoming surgery.  My audi said that it looks like May before it's available.  She said she is looking into getting a sample of it but not sure when that will happen.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had my cochlear implant this past Monday and chose the the Rondo as it did not have the ear piece. My appointment is on April 22nd so will let you know how it works. For your information my audiologist informed me that it does have rechargeable batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Sandy,

finally we have a Rondo amongst the forum. I can't wait to her your thoughts as I may even pay for one myself if it's good.

I am pretty sure that it only comes with disposable batteries at this time.

Here's a photo I found:

223ef1fd3e4d_zps17ded7c1.jpeg?t=13640198

coming to US as soon as May, last I heard.  Will have retaining strap to use with activity. 3 disposable batteries will make it a tad heavier magnet & thicker than the D-coil because of the battery thickness.  There will be a free trial period, 30 days?

I sure hope it's the answer to my BTE issues!

thanks Kelly!  you've given me a great idea what to retro-fit what I have for the Rondo with the Tooks reference.  I also saw a website: Sleep phones.  I have written Tooks to see if the in-line mic option has become available.