Rondo 3 ticking sound with telecoil? Put it in flight mode

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

If you hear a ticking sound when using the telecoil adapter with Rondo 3, Med-El suggests putting the Rondo 3 in flight mode.

@MED-EL Moderator Has there been any newer recommended fix for this yet?  It makes using the Artone neckloop complicated with Rondo 3.

@Jdashiell

80400E5F-EAD1-4DB1-940E-954204A2ED6F.jpeg

Hi @Mary Beth

I can understand that this a rather complex workaround for you. But at the moment, we don't have any new updates on that. 

However, we have forwarded your feedback to the right team here at MED-EL to assist in future improvements.

Kind regards, Barbara 

Just tried this and it worked.  Much improved sound without the tic.   Obviously getting into flight mode needs to be simplified 🙂   
Thank-you for this!

mark

• 1 month later...

Yes it does work and is very user UNfriendly.  I am on and off the phone many times a day. I hope there is a better solution than this.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I activated telecoil for the first time today, had annoying ticking sound but the thing is I couldn't set to MT mode with my phone app, you need the remote for that. And the remote controller had ran out of battery, even though I didn't use it at all. So I gave up. Worst part of rondo 3's so far.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

Rondo 3 works differently than the other processors with respect to telecoil because it does not have a built in telecoil.  Previous Rondos (Rondo 1 and 2) have built in telecoils.  The Sonnet/Sonnet2 also have built in telecoils.

So the M, MT and T controls in AudioKey2 app and on the FineTuner Echo do NOT work with Rondo 3.

When the telecoil adapter is attached to Rondo 3, it automatically changes into MT mode (a 50/50 mix of telecoil and its own mics).

If we want to have a T mode on Rondo 3 so we can hear telecoil only (streamed audio only with the Artone BT neckloop for example), then we need to ask our audiologists to create a T only program for us in one of the program spots.

To avoid hearing a ticking sound when using the telecoil adapter with Rondo 3 if we have a T only program, FIRST move into the T only program and AFTER THAT switch the Rondo 3 into flight mode.

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Evren

Rondo 3 works differently than the other processors with respect to telecoil because it does not have a built in telecoil.  Previous Rondos (Rondo 1 and 2) have built in telecoils.  The Sonnet/Sonnet2 also have built in telecoils.

So the M, MT and T controls in AudioKey2 app and on the FineTuner Echo do NOT work with Rondo 3.

When the telecoil adapter is attached to Rondo 3, it automatically changes into MT mode (a 50/50 mix of telecoil and its own mics).

If we want to have a T mode on Rondo 3 so we can hear telecoil only (streamed audio only with the Artone BT neckloop for example), then we need to ask our audiologists to create a T only program for us in one of the program spots.

To avoid hearing a ticking sound when using the telecoil adapter with Rondo 3 if we have a T only program, FIRST move into the T only program and AFTER THAT switch the Rondo 3 into flight mode.

Ah, thanks for the info Mary Beth! Gonna try it out again, still it's too much hassle for a single processor unit. WTB direct bluetooth streaming :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

It is too complicated in my opinion too.  Looking forward to when direct BT streaming of all audio from phones and tablets WITH user controlled mixing ratios which include an option for streamed audio only is built into both the BTE and the single unit processors.  Mostly excited for the new BT 5.2 with AuraCast.  That is going to be amazing.

@Mary BethDoes the BTE processor work better with the telecoil option?  I miss my hearing aid for this function because I could simple press A button to put it into telecoil mode.   I have also found out that when the telecoil is activated my rondo 3 has a 9db gain and without this gain the clicking noise is reduced significantly.  Going for my 6 month appointment on Monday to see if they have come up with a better solution. Have been emailing back and forth looking for options.  We will see what happens. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike G

Long answer;

Sonnet2/Sonnet/OPUS2/Rondo1 all just need us to select MT or T when we wish to use the telecoil.  MT is 50/50 mix and T is telecoil audio only.

Rondo2 needs to have our audiologists turn off the link monitoring feature (otherwise there is a ticking sound) and after that it is just as easy as the above processors. Just select MT or T.

Switching to MT or T can be done via the remote (FineTuner Echo/FineTuner) or the app (AudioKey2) depending on the processor.

It is so much more convenient when the telecoil is built into the processor in my opinion.  All the above processors have the telecoil built in.

Rondo3 is the most complicated in regards to telecoil use.

Short answer:

Yes the Sonnet2 (BTE processor) is much easier to use with telecoil.

In case this helps…..

For Rondo 3 our audiologists can set the telecoil gain.  

• 4 weeks later...

Does the telecoil connect automatically if it exists in locations/ buildings? Or you have to be on T/MT ?

(Sonnet1)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hila

For Sonnet1/Sonnet2/Rondo2/Rondo1

we have to manually choose to move into MT or T setting to use telecoil.

For Rondo3 we need to attach the telecoil adapter and it automatically moves into MT.  If a ticking sound is heard we need to put Rondo3 into flight mode.

• HearPeers Heroes

Rondo 3 does not have a telecoil built in.  Check out the Rondo 3 topics.  Lots of info there about telecoil and Rondo 3. @Hila

17 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Rondo 3 does not have a telecoil built in.  Check out the Rondo 3 topics.  Lots of info there about telecoil and Rondo 3. @Hila

Thanks!  I'm looking.  Very interesting point.  Especially since the systems for telecoil are still widely in use in some places around, such as conference halls etc.  And there are many ppl with HA that are still using them. I just watched a video on YouTube that shows how the telecoil adapter is inserted into the Rondo 3.  

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 1/7/2023 at 3:58 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Mike G

Rondo2 needs to have our audiologists turn off the link monitoring feature (otherwise there is a ticking sound) and after that it is just as easy as the above processors. Just select MT or T.

Switching to MT or T can be done via the remote (FineTuner Echo/FineTuner) or the app (AudioKey2) depending on the processor.

It is so much more convenient when the telecoil is built into the processor in my opinion.  All the above processors have the telecoil built in.

I listen ticking sound when telecoil is active both in MT and T mode with Rondo 2. What is the function for link monitoring at Rondo 2?  Is there any way to disable it by user, or is it necessary use special audiologist mapping cable and mapping app? Does this feature affect to operation of processor?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Our CI audiologist must do it.  There is no issues once it is done.  @Joan reported it when she received her Rondo 2 processors 

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you know for what is the "monitor feature" that you comment? I suppose this feature reduce the battery life if it is on and it is not necesary.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

I consider link monitoring light alerts to be something that helps a parent of a young CI user know when there is a problem.  As an adult CI user, we can not see the lights while the processors are on our heads and we know when we have a problem based on hearing.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/support/product-support/audio-processors/rondo2/handling-and-basics/du_link_check_function

@Valentin yes, as @Mary Beth said, I reported the ticking at my initial MAPping of my Rondo2s. A solution was determined by Med-El, the monitoring function then was disabled by my audiologist, and all has been good ever since. I hope you can get the same soon!