Comparison of Rondo 2 versus Sonnet

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just starting a topic so people can share their experiences with Rondo 2 versus Sonnet.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

The Rondo2 compared to the Sonnet?

Its obvious that the 2 mics plus ASM2 of the Sonnet make it a better choice over the Rondo 2 in terms of subjective hearing. I cannot say its better sound quality, because the 2 mics vs 1 is not a fair comparison. Perhaps it is better quality hearing. Thats a tough decision.

However, in my humble opinion, the Rondo2 has a feature over any other processor, that being the wireless, rechargeable battery that lasts all day. ALL DAY. I wear mine from 7:30 - 8am to 11 PM and no loss of power. Im stayed up till 1 am on NYE.!!

Then about 4 hours of recharging renews it for another day. I set it on the charging pad a 11 pm or or so and take it off ready to go the next morning. No adding batteries - EVER!!

I want to get another with a trade in discount of my Rondo 1.

Incidentally, I were the Rondo 2 on the left, and the Rondo 1 on the right.

One minor drawback is with the Rondos (1 or 2) there is no Roger Receiver, so I nee to also order a Roger MyLink neckloop from my AuD

Its only $$, right?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

You may want to price that Roger MyLink neckloop receiver with Connevans online before you order it.  Many times Connevans is cheaper.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sound Quality.

I was reading bout the Rondo2 on MedEl website.

This is what they post on their FAQ page for Sound Quality:

RONDO 2 is powered by Triformance to provide the closest to natural hearing possible. Triformance technology offers better hearing and a richer, fuller hearing experience. 

It’s important to remember that the implant & electrode array are the most important factors in the sound quality of a cochlear implant system.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Rondo 2, Rondo 1 and OPUS 2 all use Automatic Sound Management 1.

Sonnet uses Automatic Sound Management 2 and has dual mics.

Some people don’t notice an improvement in sound quality between the OPUS 2/Rondo and the Sonnet.  Some people do notice an improvement in sound quality.

Some people report significant improvement with the Sonnet and others report that it is almost the same as the OPUS 2.

The only thing guaranteed is that all of our experiences are unique.  Smile.

I find the Sonnet to have a more natural sound quality (even with my choice of omni mic setting) however my OPUS 2 and Rondos have been much more reliable processors for me.  The Sonnets have had many issues for me.

One of the things I like about the Rondo 2 design is that there are less parts that can cause problems.  By the time I am eligible for  upgrading processors, there will be a whole group of Rondo 2 users who have been using them for a couple of years.  I am interested in how the battery life holds up over years of use.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/2/2019 at 5:06 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

Some people don’t notice an improvement in sound quality between the OPUS 2/Rondo and the Sonnet.  Some people do notice an improvement in sound quality.

Some people report significant improvement with the Sonnet and others report that it is almost the same as the OPUS 2.

I find the Sonnet to have a more natural sound quality (even with my choice of omni mic setting) however my OPUS 2 and Rondos have been much more reliable processors for me.  The Sonnets have had many issues for me.

One of the things I like about the Rondo 2 design is that there are less parts that can cause problems.  By the time I am eligible for  upgrading processors, there will be a whole group of Rondo 2 users who have been using them for a couple of years.  I am interested in how the battery life holds up over years of use.

According to MedEll the battery in the Rondo2 lasts 5 years. 5 years is the common standard for "life" of a CI processor. I was told that by my HA companies when I wore HAs.

I always ended up upgrading HAs every 3 years. technology marches on.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Yes I needed to upgrade HAs frequently too due to my progressing hearing loss.  I hope to upgrade CI processors every 5 years depending on insurance.

I have not had such great luck with the UP TO ____ HOURS battery life reported by Med-El.  I realize it is an up to number and not a guaranteed number.  It hasn’t been a problem since I can swap out batteries in my Rondo, OPUS 2 and Sonnet processors easily.  Many things impact battery life, including skin flap thickness.   

I always get way less hours than the UP TO hours.  That is my only concern about the Rondo 2 because UP TO 18 hours is not very long if I also do not get to hit that number.  It is my hope that Med-El will offer longer lasting rechargeable batteries soon.

I am glad your processors lasted until midnight!  Happy New Year!

Thanks @Mary Beth, this is interesting to see. I struggle a great deal with the battery life of the Sonnets. The advertised hours are up to 8-10, I found that I am getting 8 and more recently 7. This means that both batteries can switch off suddenly halfway through a working day, making me feel very vulnerable. In my opinion, this is a serious design flaw. No battery for a hearing device should ever last for less than one day. I sometimes have to change the batteries twice if I have a particularly long day.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

We do run on batteries now!  Smile.  We need the longest possible battery life.

I realize all companies strive for world’s smallest and world’s lightest.  I am more interested in world’s BEST.

It’s difficult to explain the feeling of running out of battery power at inconvenient times or before our listening days are over to people who do not depend on batteries to hear.  We have all experienced dud disposable batteries and some of us have experienced failure to charge rechargeable batteries.  We need convenient battery back up options.

I hope Med-El offers much longer lasting rechargeable batteries in future one piece and BTE processors.

I’m sorry you are having such short battery life with your standard Sonnet rechargeable batteries.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

I believe I read in the Sonnet rechargeable battery manual that the standard size batteries should be replaced when they only  deliver 7 hours.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Looks like it’s time to replace those batteries according to the Med-El manual.

50BFC1E8-F143-4AFD-AB97-E7A823F91DE0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@MallaRuth

We do run on batteries now!  Smile.  We need the longest possible battery life.

I realize all companies strive for world’s smallest and world’s lightest.  I am more interested in world’s BEST.

It’s difficult to explain the feeling of running out of battery power at inconvenient times or before our listening days are over to people who do not depend on batteries to hear.  We have all experienced dud disposable batteries and some of us have experienced failure to charge rechargeable batteries.  We need convenient battery back up options.

I hope Med-El offers much longer lasting rechargeable batteries in future one piece and BTE processors.

I’m sorry you are having such short battery life with your standard Sonnet rechargeable batteries.  

That is very true! 🙂 yes - running out at unpredictable times is not a nice feeling at all. Especially if you're in the middle of a meeting or lecture, or a supermarket/somewhere you cannot change batteries easily. You should be able to get through a day and swap out batteries in the morning, then get on with your day. 

Fingers tightly crossed for better options from MED-EL in future...

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@MallaRuth

I believe I read in the Sonnet rechargeable battery manual that the standard size batteries should be replaced when they only  deliver 7 hours.  

Mine are unpredictable. I use the bluetooth neckloop a fair bit (for music and the telephone) which drains power faster, I think.

• HearPeers Heroes
27 minutes ago, MallaRuth said:

That is very true! 🙂 yes - running out at unpredictable times is not a nice feeling at all. Especially if you're in the middle of a meeting or lecture, or a supermarket/somewhere you cannot change batteries easily. You should be able to get through a day and swap out batteries in the morning, then get on with your day. 

Fingers tightly crossed for better options from MED-EL in future...

Yes or while driving!!

On 12/27/2018 at 12:39 PM, Mary Beth said:

Fun!  Enjoy your Rondo 2 @Jdashiell!

please let us know if the battery ever dies before a listening day is over

Do you like how your guitar sounds?

Yes I do 

Driving - yikes!

Maybe we should have a dicussion topic on 'Stories about times when your batteries ran out'. There would be some hilarious ones, and some hair-raising ones! And it'd raise awareness of how important good battery life and options are...

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 1/2/2019 at 5:06 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

I would like to know more about your Sonnet experiences.

My first one had to be replaced early on and the process was handled quite well be customer service.

Other than that, I have had superior experiences with both side Sonnets.

I use the rechargeable batteries in both and have gotten accustomed to changing those mid day, around 4:30-5pm, then again around 11pm when I remove them for sleeping. I put them in around 8am.

The only problem is driving home from a job when I get the signal to change them...usually while Im on I95 or the FL turnpike, ugh.

I am still satisfied with battery life 8 hrs or so...

I do like the Rondo2 battery life of 18hrs basically all day. But the ASM2 and 2 mics on the Sonnet, for me, makes it a better choice.

The Rondo (1 and 2) comfort and ease are extremely desirable features.

I also use the Roger Pen daily for cell phone calls and use the Roger X (right) and Roger 21 (left) receivers on my Sonnets. I use the RP for hearing at the table in restaurants, too.

To use the RP with the Rondo1 or 2 I need to obtain a Phonak Roger MyLink neckloop receiver in my collection of gadgets.

Im also shopping for a cool kit for storing all my MedEl stuff in little drawers, left and right side. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

I will reply here.

Med-El’s customer service has been awesome.  The CSR for my region is absolutely wonderful!

The problems my Sonnets have had were all addressed by Med-El.  But they have had several problems.  My Rondo and OPUS2 processors have not.

This is why I say that my Rondos and OPUS2 processors have been more reliable for me.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Reading about the topic of Sound Quality I came across this MedEl index, a questionnaire actuatually.

https://s3.medel.com/downloadmanager/downloads/bridge_2013/hisqui/vi-VI/23015_2.0_HISQUI_EN.pdf

I will go through this for Each processor I have and each side and report the results later.

Joe

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, Doing this test with my knowledge of all the situations wearing my Sonnets in both ears/sides, I achieved a score of 137 = Gppd Sound Quality

My test results are based on these situations of the questionnaire with Sonnets alone, no ALDs

I am interested to see the results of my HearPeer friends, if you are willing.

It will take me some time to do this wearing Rondo2 (left) and Rondo (right).

For me it would make no sense to do this unaided, as there would be no sound on either side, so I leave that option out.

• HearPeers Heroes

i there, My opinion here.

Supposedly, Rondo performance of battery is up tu 18 hours, but I have doubt what happen after 2-3 years.

@Jdashiell, Do you detect improvement between Rondo1 and Rondo2?

I will do the  questionnaire above too and comment later.