Most inconvenient dead battery experiences

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I usually never experience a dead battery because I swap out the disposable batteries every other morning.  However either I lost track or longer than normal listening days contributed to my most inconvenient dead battery experience.

Broadway musical....beep beep beep....oh no.....turned the processor off and back on....a few minutes later....beep beep beep.  Shucks.  

I always carry extra disposable batteries in my pocket so in the dark I had to change the batteries.

Phew all set.

Two minutes later the other side....beep beep beep.

Yup.

Had to change that side in the dark too.

This was my most inconvenient dead battery experience.  But it all worked out fine.

What has been your most inconvenient dead battery experience?

@Mary Beth Whew...not an easy task in the dark! I had a similar experience in a movie quite a while ago. I’m very diligent about tracking my battery changes now...and I’m sure you will be too!😄

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I thought those dead battery beeps go on for at least half hour. I just try to block out the beeps and wait until all the juice is gone. 

Last weekend I was using the disposable batteries. I was out at the mall with a friend doing an assignment and just 15 minutes before the assignment was to end all my juice went. I tried to lip read what my partner was saying but I was clueless (have lost my lipreading skills thanks to my amazing CI, lol) so I had to go to the car and change the batteries there. 

This is why I prefer using my rechargeables. Although that one died when I was doing an exit interview and we were near the end of the meeting. I had to go to my office and change the battery. When I returned to the conference room I found that the exit interview had just finished. Teething pains....I know better now to put in a new battery before I go into a meeting like that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think it was my fault.  I must’ve mixed up which day to start with new disposable batteries.  I never have dead battery experiences by switching disposable batteries every other morning.  It was just an inconvenient time to have to switch them.  The beeps were annoying since I was enjoying a Broadway show.

Sonnet rechargeable batteries do not last long enough for me.  I look forward to much longer lasting rechargeable batteries for BTE processors in the future.

The most inconvenient time for my batteries to die inevitably happens when I am making phone calls to potential employees to set up interviews.  Somehow my processors "know" I am doing this, when I am trying my best to sound professional, and then "beep beep beep".  LOL

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Annie Hawman

Terrific to see you here.  

Those batteries sure do have bad timing sometimes!

Are you still participating in Dr. Limb’s research on music?  How is it going?

Are you still using your IG MAPs or have you switched back to more electrodes?

@Mary Beth - Yes, I am still participating in Dr. Limb's research, and spent this past Monday in the lab there.  There is a new phase (5), and I was given yet another, newer map on Monday and I have to say it is amazing.  What they have given me far surpasses the Vanderbilt map, which I still have on programs 3 & 4.  I will be back @ UCSF next month to test this latest achievement.  I had 2 flights on my way home from SFO on Monday night, and (sit down for this one  LOL) I was able to understand every word of every announcement on the PA system on both airplanes.  No kidding!  I honestly don't think that PA technology on airplanes has gotten that great...  I could hardly understand those announcements when I had 2 perfectly good ears!  LOL  So this is something special, indeed.  They are still looking for participants in this study, and yes, it is image guided mapping.  I would encourage anyone and everyone to sign up!

I will never switch out my IG maps for the traditional maps, Mary Beth.  It would be like trading in the Cadillac for an old Datsun.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so happy for you @Annie Hawman!  And I hope that these new MAPs bring music back into your life.

I’ll send you a PM on FB messenger to chat some more.

I am so glad you are on HearPeers!  Stick around and post.  Smile.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Driving

in traffic on the free way or turn pike,

beep beep beep 😩 oh no, hope  I can turn off somewhere soon!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup.  I have had that experience too!  It’s not good.

• HearPeers Heroes

At supermarket, just when the cashier say you the price of our purchase. 🙄 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

I’m sorry that happened to you!  That was definitely an inconvenient dead battery experience.

• HearPeers Heroes

We smile. I kept calm, explain the attendant the inconvenient. She put our purchase on hold. When I solved the issue, I came back and finished the purchase.

Nothing happened 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

At the supermarket I go to, one of the cashiers has a husband with CIs so we chat when I check out.  But having said that, I'd just change the battery.  We don't have to hide, do we?

• HearPeers Heroes

It is not necessary to hide, I just apart for the line to change batteries and let customers who were in the queue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before I got my bilaterial, CI, I had 2 high powered hearing aids.  I had agreed to play a piano solo at church between the 2 main speakers.  (approx 200 people) As the first speaker was winding down one battery went out.  I always carry a spare but somehow that day I didn't have one.  Fortunately I could play the piano with just one ear on.  However, I couldn't be sure that my other battery wouldn't go out in the middle of the solo.  I just try not to think about that possibility and everything work out okay.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

That would’ve been very difficult!  Playing the piano for 200 people with two dead batteries!

Are you using Sonnets now?  Do you use disposable or rechargeable batteries?

Mary Beth, thanks for the advice.  You gave me some good ideas to try for a church setting.  I use 2 Sonnets at the present time.  I have received my Rondos but don't have them programmed yet.  When getting the Sonnets I had a choice between several years supply of disposable batteries or a charger.  The disposable batteries seemed to be the better option for me until they get rechargeable ones that will last longer than at present.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

Disposable batteries in Sonnets are very convenient.  How many boxes of Power One Implant batteries came in your kit?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

When you do eventually run out of batteries, it is worth asking your Med-El CSR to check to see if your insurance covers batteries.  @Joan told me about the automatic battery shipments from Med-El under some insurance policies.  I was shocked to learn that my insurance policy covers batteries.  Med-El US now ships batteries out quarterly under that program instead of monthly.  My first quarterly shipment arrives today.

@Marv I would suggest you check with your CSR about insurance coverage for your batteries sooner rather than later. They need to get pre-approval from your insurance (and Medicare, if you have that) before setting up and starting your quarterly shipments (each which will consist of three boxes) if covered by your insurance. As @Mary Beth said, it was a nice surprise to learn batteries are covered by insurance!

Thanks for the information on insurance paying for batteries.  I had wondered about that