Car radio with c i

Lori m

Hello med el users, 

is there anyway to get my car radio sounds directly into my rondo?

i failed with the “headphone jack” idea.

thank you all

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

There are apps that play radio stations on our cell phones.  You may be able to find the stations you are looking for but I do not know how much cellular data they use.

Thank you Mary Beth for the idea.  

Does anyone else have any tips for car radio usage?

Thank you

Lori

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

Will you describe what you are trying to improve with the car radio?

When you are the driver?

When you are the passenger?

Using its GPS navigation?

Using its phone functionality?

Listening to radio stations?

I listen to the radio in my car all the time.  Music, talk radio, navigation, phone calls, streaming audiobooks.  I do not use any special tech nor any special settings.

But there is a wide range of audio quality in cars.  Some systems are just easier to hear well compared to others.

Does anyone else enjoy listening to their car radio?  Any tips for Lori?

@Jewel

@Megan L.

@Nikki 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lori m!

I love listening to music in my car. I have a Fender sound system, so it has a nice full sound. I do not use any assistive tech but I have fiddled with the settings 😁 one thing I did since I do not have passengers behind me most of the time, is to turn off the sound in the back. All the sound is in the front with me. Let us know how you make out! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Did you make other setting changes too....like bass and treble?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

Are you using a Sonnet processor?

Have you tried switching to a program in ADAPTIVE (program used for noise)?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lori m

I don't use anything special to listen to music in the car. I just wear my audio processor. It took me about 3 months before music that I knew years ago made sense. Although I did have a wow moment maybe a month or two after activation when I was able to make out some Rick Astley songs on the radio. Then all the songs played on the station made no sense to me. 

My advice to you is to just keep listening to music in the car. The brain will sort itself out. 

It's so funny. I can't drive in the car without music playing. I love it so much! 

I did have an issue with wind noise originally but the audi adjusted the maps and I haven't had any problems since. 

Hello, I am very interested in the comment about mapping help with wind noise!  Is it the rondo 2 that had improvement with wind noise?

I’m i using rondo 2

thank you

(maybe it would help with hair noise too.....)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

I believe the mappings for wind noise were done for both Sonnet and Rondo2. 

Hi Lori, @Lori m

Looking at the MedEl comparison page on the website, Rondo2 does not have automatic sound management for wind noise reduction.  Not sure how programming may override that, but I hope there is an answer from other users. 

I'm not using Rondo 2 daily,  I use Sonnet but I can see how listening to radio with windows down can be challenging.  I guess if i'm not the driver the only option is direct audio input through cable you mentioned you've tried.

• HearPeers Heroes

I listen to music in the car daily - always during my commute.  Like Megan I have a decent sound system (Harman Kardon) and have not found it to be difficult.  In fact it was one of my favorite bits of rehab, and I still love to listen.  I definitely don't roll the windows down, though, or open the sunroof.  The noise interferes with hearing the music.

Oh heavens, no windows are down.  The noise of tires on the road kills me! I could never enjoy having the windows down.   Just trying to get the car radio connected directy into my rondo 2, so that I can try to listen to the radio with the "T" feature on the med el  remote control device, which would have the advantage of keeping the road noise out of the rondo 2 microphone.  Thx to all. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

I have used T (telecoil) settings one cars.  Some cats it is fine.  Other cars have an annoying buzzing sound from electromagnetic interference with the telecoil.  So maybe it would be helpful to switch to T while riding in the car to see if T is even an option in your car.  It seems the newest cars have the most interference.

If tire/road noise is an issue while riding in the car, there are 2 things you can try.

1) Use your remote and keep pressing the sensitivity button to lower the sensitivity as far down as you can.  It looks like an ear.  It is on the right side of the remote, second row.  Just remember to hit reset when you exit the car.

2). Ask your audiologist to create a specific program to quiet the road noise.  Just YouTube and see if you can find a sample of road noise to use during your MAPping appt. ( @Joan and her audiologist created a great noise program by using a YouTube clip of restaurant noise.)

Are you hearing well in other places?  How is your journey going?

• 1 month later...

how to best listen to news and talk programmes in car with cochlear implant?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rose

I do not use any assistive tech to listen to the car radio.  Which processor are you using?  When were you implanted?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lori m

I had trouble with car noise and my audi have me maps to cut down on that. Haven't had a problem since. I wear Sonnet and Rondo2. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rose like Mary Beth, I don't use anything but my processors in the car.  At first I had issues with car noise but my brain sorted that out and it's not a problem anymore.  (Well, mostly.  We live on a gravel road and that's louder than pavement, but it's about a quarter mile to the corner so it doesn't affect me).

But I never leave the windows open for that reason.