Connectivity problem with iPhone iOS 14.5 and 14.5.1

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Ever since iPhones updated their software to version 14.5 and 14.5.1 AudioStream connectivity problems are being reported by so many AudioStream users.

Is there a fix for this?

AudioStream users have reset their AudioStream, had iPhones forget the devices, reset the phones, configured AudioStream through AudioKey2 app again and nothing works.

People using only one AudioStream are having success by avoiding the AudioKey 2 app and pairing the one AudioStream through iPhone- accessibility- hearing devices.

This is not an option for bilateral AudioStream users because both AudioStream show up as LEFT ear devices.

It’s sad because AudioStream is really terrific!

We need some help.  And a way to share how to fix this so everyone experiencing the problem can read it.

Thank you!

I gave up after trying to have the units working bilaterally for 4 hours... it's time I really can't afford while trying to run 2 companies 24/7.

I will just have to wait for Medel and Apple to have these issues resolved.

After a Zoom meeting with MEDEL where we tried everything under the sun to get it to pair w/my iPhone 11, they decided to send a replacement which is a good thing bec. now it is longer working w/my iPad as well. Once I get it on Thursday and hopefully it pairs to my iPhone, I will circle back -- fingers crossed!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

are you using 1 or 2 AudioStream devices?

Dear @Mary Beth and everyone, thank you for bringing this up to our attention. We have forwarded your question to our experts and we'll get back to you as soon as we have an answer for you.

Kind Regards, Giulia

Got the replacement AudioStream in the mail, paired it through Hearing Devices Accessibility effortlessly to my iPhone 11 running IOS 14.5.1 

I will not try to also use my iPad for now. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Terrific!

I wish that was an option for bilateral AudioStream users.  It doesn’t work because both AudioStreams identify as being left ear devices if we do not configure through the AudioKey2 app.

• Like 1

Yes, it really makes the process seamless and taking out one piece of the puzzle is I think always a good thing. I'm still super curious as to why the other one is not working & hopefully this one continues to stay paired etc

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

It does make me feel like the issue is with the AudioKey2 configuration of AudioStream.  Since single AudioStream users pairing directly with accessibility-hearing devices do not seem to have problems.

But since I am a bilateral user, I really hope this gets resolved quickly.

• Like 1

I am trying to use a recently replaced audiostream battery cover. Before the IPhone update of last weekend, it paired beautifully. On Monday morning it was no longer working. I have tried every option including removing the AudioKey app and using the accessibility function on the IPhone. No luck after several days of trying.  I decided to try pairing with my IPad Air and it worked immediately. This leads me to believe that it is not a defective audiostream cover but a problem with the new IPhone update. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannie

What complicates it all is that people like @Jared Charneynow are connected via AudioStream with their iPhone using 14.5.1

Lots of people are needing to get their AudioStreams replaced.

It’s puzzling.

Something is definitely not working correctly.

It could even be more complicated depending upon other IPhone settings. I’ve read on Apple forums that hearing aid users are experiencing similar issues and it may be related to how your IPhone settings like “handoff” etc.,are set. So, I’m thinking it may be a while before it’s figured out. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannie

This is life with direct BT connectivity for hearing devices.  iOS updates can cause havoc.

Thankfully the Artone BT neckloop is never impacted by changes in iOS since it is not a hearing device.  And that remains as option for BT streaming while things get sorted out.

Thanks Marybeth. I think the Artone might be a good backup investment.  I have a pair of Bose Sunglasses that always work too. The microphone on the sunglass frame sits right on the Sonnet mic. My other ear hears acoustical sound only due to auditory neuropathy but it does enhance sound quality with the Sonnet.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney has a pair of those BOSE sunglass speakers too.  I had never heard of them before he mentioned them.

How do you think the audio quality of those BOSE sunglass speakers compares to the audio quality of AudioStream @Jullannie and @Jared Charney?

@Mary BethIt's hard for me to answer that since I'm still so new to hearing through my implant and since it's coming from a speaker and not directly like AudioStream but I can def. say that I love them and they are kind of like my other Bose headphones where I hear sound going into my implant but of course it's nothing like what the "good" ear is hearing. BTW I have figured out one of the poss. issues w/Audio Stream, yesterday while I was out on an assignment I wasn't able to stream again and was of course frustrated. I was able to get back this morning after telling it to Forget the Device in Accessibility but I noticed that it thinks I'm using the L side for whatever reason. For now, I will leave it as is and report this back to MEDEL. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

It seems that all AudioStreams are recognized as LEFT side devices on iPhones unless they are configured through the AudioKey 2 app.

If someone is using only one AudioStream for streaming, that is not an issue.  When streaming to only one hearing device, the sound should be mono (or blended stereo) from the phone which means all instrumentals in music go to that device.

I wonder why your one AudioStream lost connection?  

• Like 1

yes, it was a complete mystery to me as well and of course I was on a job so I tried a couple of times threw up my arms and moved on but I did resolve it when I got home by having the phone forget the device etc. good to know about how that works maybe next time I'll start w/AudioKey but for now (fingers crossed) I'll leave it as is. I have a bunch of jobs today and if it goes out again I'll restart via AudioKey and go from there . . . . . . .

I'm a bilateral user with iPhone 14.51 and had a lot of problems initially but it seems okay now. Sometimes one clicks in a bit late or not at all but I often overcome that by turning BT off and on or turning the processor off and on in the middle of streaming.  It still says L and R on my phone. However, I had to make many attempts initially before it downloaded properly

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@karenRS

Did you pair AudioStream to your iPhone through the AudioKey2 app?

• HearPeers Heroes

In case anyone is still having trouble with this, quite a few people with this problem have had their AudioStream replaced under warranty and the replacement AudioStream pairs easily with their iPhones running 14.5.1 for some reason.

• Like 1