AudioStream and iPhone status update June 2021

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been closely following user experiences with AudioStream and iPhones because I have an iPhone too.

So let’s check in and share how life with AudioStream and iPhones is going now.  Maybe some people have had better connectivity?

iPhone users

1.  Using 1 or 2 AudioStream?

2.  Using rechargeable or disposable batteries?

3.  Great, good or poor connectivity?  Explain please.

4.  Which iPhone model?  And which operating system?

5.  When your AudioStream is not working, how do you get it to reconnect and stream?

6.    Do you also use AudioStream with an iPad?  If yes, how is that working for you?

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dennisjbr

@Dani

@SKOM

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

I apologize to any AudioStream iPhone HearPeer members I missed.  Please join in.

Unfortunately, I am at an impasse. The Med-el auidiologist believes that the problem is my IPhone 11’s IOS(14.6,I believe). I could get the Audiostream to pair with my Audiolkey app, but it would not stream. It did work as a CI connection. 
She suggested I wait for the next update and try again. I’m open to input from others.😕

Oops! I use one streamer on my right side and the rechargeable battery.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Viola DeVinney

@KittKatz is using iOS 14.6 on her iPhone 12 with AudioStream.  Maybe she can share what she does to get AudioStream up and running correctly again?

It's got better. I've got 2 audiostream and am using rechargeable batteries, iphone 12 and ios 14.6. Connection has been bad initially each time I download the iphone updates (and there's been a few updates recently) . This time it was the worst, often it wouldn't connect at all for a while. I use it at work so it was most inconvenient. But it has been better the past week or so.  It's a bit slow to connect at times. I'm  usually able to overcome any problems by opening and closing the audiostream from the processor. I don't use it with an iPad (don't want to risk messing things up when it's the phone I really need it for).

1.  Using 1 or 2 AudioStream?
Two AudioStream

2.  Using rechargeable or disposable batteries?
It depends. I use both options regularly.

4.  Which iPhone model? And which operating system?
iPhone SE 2020, iOS 14.4.2
(update to 14.6 is being offered)

3.  Great, good or poor connectivity? Explain please.
Good connectivity.
- Reconnection is not always done after being out of range (distance).
- Left and right are not always in sync.
+ most of the time I am connected
+ never lost connection during playback of any audiosource

5.  When your AudioStream is not working, how do you get it to reconnect and stream?
Vast majority of time: turn off and on Sonnet and start playing audio.
Sometimes: turn off and on BT on iPhone or open accessibility properties for hearing loss
Seldom: forget and reconfigure using AudioKey 2 (do it the correct way!)
When left and right are out of sync: turn off and on the lagging Sonnet.

6.  Do you also use AudioStream with an iPad? If yes, how is that working for you?
Nope. No eyePad.

• HearPeers Heroes

Let’s hope Apple releases 14.7 soon and it solves this issue.

• Thanks 2

Updating my AudioStream usage: I've now gone about 3 weeks with it working on my iPhone 11 (in the past the longest I could get it to work was maybe a full week). I'm not sure what's different this time as I went through so many problems. I will note that I'm using the first AudioStream they sent me with a new Sonnet2 Processor they sent. I returned the 2nd AudioStream with my original Sonnet2. I've also found that from time to time when it's glitching that the iPhone will figure it out with re-pairing. Typically if it doesn't work right away I will reboot the iPhone and that takes care of things. I'm using IOS 14.6 and also I haven't tried to use it with my iPad at the same time just the iPhone. 

Does anyone know for sure that MEDEL engineers are in contact with Apple and working these iPhone issues? I'm on my second set of Audiostreams and original problems persist (and predated recent iOS updates). I talked to MEDEL audiology a few days ago and she said she would talk to technical folks and get back to me - no call back to-date. Disappointed with MEDEL's lack of communication on these Audiostream issues.

iPhone users

1.  Using 1 or 2 AudioStream? - 2

2.  Using rechargeable or disposable batteries? - rechargeable

3.  Great, good or poor connectivity?  Explain please. When working it's great. Problem is typically doesn't connect first attempt of the day or at best, connects to only one side (random which one).

4.  Which iPhone model?  And which operating system? - 11 Pro/14.6

5.  When your AudioStream is not working, how do you get it to reconnect and stream? - Have to turn processors off/on, sometimes more than once to get both sides streaming. During all this, iPhone shows both 'hearing devices' connected.

6.    Do you also use AudioStream with an iPad?  If yes, how is that working for you?- Haven't dared!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

I do not know if Med-El is in contact with Apple about these AudioStream problems with iPhones.  Maybe @MED-EL Moderator will know.

Still frigging aggravating. I cannot keep it connected. It does not fail in a consistent manner. When I can get it back, it does not reconnect in a consistent manner. As a professional troubleshooter, it is driving me crazy. Intermittent problems where two of the three components are out of my control are infuriating. If it did not work so well when it does work, I would give up on it.

• HearPeers Heroes

This level of on-going connectivity difficulty between AudioStream and iPhones is not happening with direct BT streaming for my friends with other CI brands using the same iPhones and the same iOS.  I hope Med-El offers a fix soon.

Med-El audiologist got back to me this morning after communicating with tech folks in Innsbruck. She assured me they are working with Apple in an effort to resolve the frustrating connectivity issues we are experiencing. Until resolved, they suggest toggling processor off/on (which generally works for me though sometimes requires multiple toggles) or toggling off/on Bluetooth function on iPhone (which I haven't tried).

• Like 3

Thanks for the update @Roy K.! I too have experienced AudioStream connectivity issues.   I still do wish we could use them with our computers though. I'll have to dig into this further to see if it's even an option.