The chatty forum

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

I've been hearing about that blog since I signed on over a year ago. Smile. It will feel good to be able to scratch it off your to do list!

• HearPeers Heroes

Can't wait to hear your blog Ivana. Erik is always. Looking for new blogs to post!! (Hint hint!!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well, it was my week of card making convention and what fun we had! Imagine 60 women in one room. It was definitely a chatty time. Now the reasons for this post and the highlight for me. A man came up to me at the pub where we were having lunch and wanted to know how I liked the Rondo and if it helped in noisy situations better than hearing aids. He wore 2 hearing aids and had a very difficult time. We had a nice discussion and he left with lots to think about. During our dinner break that same evening a woman came up to ask about my implant. She had never met anyone who had one and just wanted to know how it worked. A fabulous way to end the evening! Just wanted to share.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great Sandy!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's awesome Sandy. I have had a number of the same conversations before. Pretty neat to educate and possibly help people on the road to better hearing

• HearPeers Heroes

And here's number 3. I was playing bingo the other night and as I was leaving two women asked what was on the side of my head. I explained and they were in awe. One of the women asked if my church paid for the implant. It gives me such a feeling of accomplishment when I have these discussions with people. Imagine 3 in 2 days!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

You are on a roll Sandy!

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad for you, Sandy! interesting part of that conversation is that people think that a church can paid for such a blessing thing as CI is rather than an insurance company.... For me it sounds that it is time for insurance companies to take some action to redeemed their image in public eyes :)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Well in Ontario Chanda Car the government sponsored Heath care pays for the implant and first processor. We are solely responsible for the next processor. In five to seven years that is.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

Some people have been fortunate and their processors have lasted even longer than that. However, people may want to upgrade sooner if there are appealing new features. Med-El offered a trade-in discount in the US and Canada when the Sonnet was released. Maybe that is their practice when new processors come out for people who are self paying.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope so that would be an awesome option.with hearing aids I find they tended to last a good five years. Then they started to decline. I hope the sonnet lasts longer. I also have been considering getting a rondo for back up. But not yet.maybe around the three year mark. And hopefully I will be bilateral by then.also to see where technology goes.

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad for you, Sandy! interesting part of that conversation is that people think that a church can paid for such a blessing thing as CI is rather than an insurance company.... For me it sounds that it is time for insurance companies to take some action to redeemed their image in public eyes  :)

It's a sad true that money rules the world - even in this part of human activity. It is a thin line between getting your best as possible physical status and a person with disability who suffer after that because he or she can not achieve their maximum because of physical restrictions. 

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

It has obviously been a while since I posted in the chatty forum.

The detection of gravitational waves was the topic I chatted last about.

CERN Courier is a popular International Journal of the High Energy Physics community. The latest issue is the gravity issue and has been eagerly awaited for.  Great articles on gravitational waves and gravity in the features section. Many other articles are very technical and can be ignored.

It is located at http://cern.ch/go/BD8j  (or PDF http://cern.ch/go/W66s )

If you like reading this stuff, another great journal run by SLAC and Fermilab for many years is called Symmetry. Their articles are easier to read and fun.

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the info Hadron. You can never stop learning and we appreciate your willingness to share. 

• HearPeers Heroes

You're talking about MED EL facebook page. What page you are talking about. I can see someones.

• HearPeers Heroes

Which FaceBook page are you asking about Valentin?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Hadron, for sharing. Will check all that links for sure.

It seems something surprising and magical (smile) is going at CERN. The standard model is in danger and, perhaps, statistics also is awaiting a revision to prevent it from interpreting some important discovery formally like if it is just a standard deviation with low statistical confidence.

That leptons such a thin matter to wait for 5 sigma to start paying attention to them :) Would like to know if more experiments  show the same discrepancies with the similar statistical significance to prove that anomaly as a discovery, not just a statistical fluctuation. And of course, I would like to know what exactly causes B-mesons to prefer Taus over Muons when decaying.

I believe it is something about how a combination of their mass, spin, and electrical charge interact with gravitation and electromagnetism.

http://www.nature.com/news/lhc-signal-hints-at-cracks-in-physics-standard-model-1.18307

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia again it has been a while since I last discussed physics and gravitational waves. 

Much has happened since that time. The success of LIGO finally detecting gravitational waves has resulted in Noble Prize.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159381580960164&id=57270780163

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

You are so right, Hadron. And now, after GW150914   there are three more confirmed observations with the latest GW170814 registered in August.

Glad for Dr. Rainer Weiss (especially), Dr. Barish and Dr. Thorne. Such the great minds!

Now we need to wait when the quantity of observations will turns out into the quality of understanding :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Good to know that there is another talented person with the last name Sagan. I am a big fan of Francoise Sagan since I was a little kid.

• HearPeers Heroes

I live in Miami its far from pretty much far from everywhere!!- luckily I get my mappings here at UMiami