Activation May 28

Daniel the Stranger

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger

Mowie wowie! Now you'e raising my expectations of when it's my turn! So much progress! It's amazing! Methinks your username no longer fits you. You are by no means a stranger to us now! ?

Looking forward to reading more about your progress! 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Are you getting excited @Jewel for your turn?  You have been so patient.

4 hours ago, Jewel said:

Methinks your username no longer fits you.

Lol, I was just thinking of creating a post saying the same thing, something along the lines: "Now that I'm no stranger anymore...." it is just that I still don't know which nickname to use or maybe afraid of being forgotten with the new nickname now that I'm becoming famous? :lol:

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep it @stranger.  We know who you are!  Smile

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Are you getting excited @Jewel for your turn?  You have been so patient.

@Mary Beth

Yes I am very excited. I get my second vaccine next week. Time is really flying. I have my diary ready to chronicle my journey ?. Or maybe I should do that on my tablet. I can't wait. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Whichever style of diary you prefer.  I have it on my iPad.  I am still adding to it 3 years later.  Smile.  I am looking forward to your journey.  

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, stranger said:

Lol, I was just thinking of creating a post saying the same thing, something along the lines: "Now that I'm no stranger anymore...." it is just that I still don't know which nickname to use or maybe afraid of being forgotten with the new nickname now that I'm becoming famous? :lol:

You could transition.  You know, start with strangerbob, if your name is Bob, and then you can switch to Bob when everyone's used to Bob being the former stranger.

Though you don't strike me as a Bob.  B)

• Like 1

@Mary Featherston that is a good idea!!, and you are right, my name is not Bob, my name is much much nicer :) lol.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger

We could have a guessing game.  Or you could reveal your name letter by letter.  Smile.  There are members here who have a screen name, but also sign their posts with their first name.  That is an option too.

44 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

We could have a guessing game.  Or you could reveal your name letter by letter.

Good idea, my name ends with L. I'm starting to think is too easy to guess....

Come on @Jewel!!! was it that easy? I need to toughen up my game next time. Nice to meet you :) 

• HearPeers Heroes
12 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jewelsorry@Jewelsorry @Mary Beth

This is an example of the problem I'm having @MED-EL Moderator. Although I sent the first one hoping I would get a clean comment box, it came back with the same error. 

Day 11

Tried to be at work without my HA, but I couldn't. I tried for a moment but I was stressing out a little bit so, for the moment I'm still using the CI. All voices are being recognized and lots of sounds but so far no clue what are most of them as they still sound like chirring.

Last night something got me thinking about aural rehab and somehow it made sense to me that I should train ESL instead of the normal rehab that we all do. As you maybe don't remember, my native language is Spanish, so this means that when I came to Australia and learned English during that time, I never got to appreciate the real sounds of English. I didn't grow with English as my main language so (apart from being still very early in my process), I think it will be trickier for me to progress in aural rehab like most of you. So from tomorrow I'm going to change my tactic and go back a little bit with some of the ESL resources I found in this forum. I think it is going to take a little bit longer but it is worth it.

Another thing that proved to me my theory above is something that happened to me when I went out with my wife and another couple of friends from Colombia to dinner tonight. Usually when we get together we talk in Spanish of course. Well, tonight at the restaurant, I could maintain a conversation!!. I had to ask my wife and my friends if the noise in the restaurant was still the same as usual and they confirmed that it was!!. I have to make it clear that I had help with lip reading, but I felt much better in a conversation tonight, my friend told me that he could feel that I was way more relaxed and that he could see that I understood better than other times. That was amazing. Now the challenge will be doing the same in English!!

I have a mapping scheduled for next Wednesday but I just sent an email to my audiologist to see if we can postpone the mapping a week. I feel that I need more time with this mapping to adapt to it better and also to give me a better idea of the progress without depending entirely from mapping. Also I think next Wednesday could be to soon to give her a good feedback about this mapping.

I definitely recognize most of the music I listen to now. I thought it was going to be worst given other experiences but I don't think music sound too bad given the circumstances.

I think I don't need a list of WOW moments for today, dinner tonight was enough WOW for me to be honest.  Besides, I didn't pay too much attention to sounds today so I don't have anything in mind to put on a list for tonight.

We have long weekend here in Australia so, I hope to post something over the weekend.

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger

You are doing wonderfully Daniel.  Every sound we hear through our CIs is a WOW moment in my opinion.  Enjoy your long weekend.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
20 hours ago, Jewel said:

Hmmmmmm. Daniel? @stranger

Ha, beat me to it.  I popped into the regular Thursday nigh chat on AB's HearingJourney page last night and saw someone signed in as stranger.  As that stranger didn't seem to be participating, and the discussion turned to where everyone was from, one of the guys said, one of the regulars is from Australia!  Ah ha, I said - is that stranger?

And yes, the other guy responded - stranger is Daniel from Australia.  I was going to suggest it today but Jewel beat me to it.  You're right, Daniel, that is a good name!

• HearPeers Heroes

Also, @stranger - your dinner story is wonderful!  I went to lunch with a co-worker that I don't see often, he's in our corporate campus now and not in my location anymore.  And Eric said that he could tell that I was hearing better in what is a fairly noisy restaurant!  And it's true, I did as @Kara of Canada suggested and used my little remote to fine tune the CI and was able to more or less reduce the background noise and hear Eric much better.

This is just so cool.

Hi @Mary Featherston, that is fantastic. At the moment with my audi we have not tried any of the special features of my processor until I get more used to the sound.

I forgot to report in my daily report that I'm hearing like an echo at the end of every sound. It disappears after a few seconds, that is what is making talking to people a little trickier as when the other person finish a word and starts the next one, this echo won't let me hear properly.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I wonder if the echo might be something that your mapping will help, @stranger?  When's your next one?

@Mary Featherston, I have no idea. My next one is next week but I requested to postpone it another week so I could have time adapting to this mapping. I thought the echo was more of an adaptation thing.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
13 minutes ago, stranger said:

@Mary Featherston, I have no idea. My next one is next week but I requested to postpone it another week so I could have time adapting to this mapping. I thought the echo was more of an adaptation thing.

That's possible as well.  My last mapping got rid of some of the whispering sounds I was hearing, but an echo is a bit different. 

• Like 1

Day 14

Well for starters, I have changed my name to @Daniel the Stranger, I think it will be temporary so people don't get confused and then make a final change to simply Daniel. I hope it hasn't been taken by then.

This long weekend has been very good for me to get rid of my HA and go around with my CI. It has been fantastic, been to dinner twice, and then went to visit an Australian friend of ours yesterday. I can say that I'm feeling as if I was at the same level as my HA and I'm just communicating as well as when I had both HAs. The main difference however, is that the quality of the voice in people is a lot better than when I used my HAs. But better yet for me was that I didn't feel the need to use my HA at all for the long weekend except when I needed to make phone calls as I'm still getting a little bit of echo in sounds which makes it difficult to hear properly using the phone.

I'm definitely very happy with the way music sounds, you can't imagine how happy I am when I'm driving the car and listening to music with very low volume and still recognizing the songs. I have make it clear that I have not tried yet with new music, I'm just listening to the music I have in the iPod at the moment.

I have been using AB Clix these days and I found that I'm having trouble listening to the M and N consonants, they don't sound at all the way they should at the moment. I try to repeat it many times and I fail to understand it properly. We have to keep practicing and of course report it to my Audi on next mapping session.

My Audi agreed to postpone the mapping one week later than scheduled, she agreed that it was to soon for another mapping and that it was better to have another week with this current mapping so I could adapt more to it and also to give her a better feedback. I'm gonna take this time to see whether the echo is something about adaptation or the brain still processing the sound or if it is something related to mapping.

Tomorrow I'm back to work and I'm going to bring my HA along with my CI but I'm going to try leaving it off to see how can I cope my day to day now using my CI only.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Which device and OS version are you using with CLIX?  Lots of people are reporting problems with that terrific app.