Rondo 2 and Roger Pen

mshaley2

Hey everyone! Do you know if the Roger Pen will work with the Rondo 2? We are supposed to program my sons R2 on the 21st!

Haley

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

That is very exciting!  Let us know what your son thinks of Rondo 2.

Yes the Roger Pen works with Rondo 2 BUT you need to use a Roger receiver that is compatible with Rondo 2.

Easiest option is the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  However this requires the Rondo 2 to be in MT setting which can pick up electromagnetic interference which will be perceived as a buzzing sound in some settings.  It also requires that the Roger MyLink receiver is worn around the neck.

@Mary Beth  that is not good news at all.  He is just getting used to using the FM system at school with his Sonnet.  I was hoping to not have to buy anything to keep this system up.  I guess he just won't wear it at school till I can afford or figure something out.  Thank you so much for the information.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

Two thoughts......

Roger MyLink (and be sure it is Roger MyLink and not just MyLink) is often found on eBay.  And perhaps his school system has one.

We prefer not to use Roger MyLink at school with young students as they may not report any EMI (buzzing) they encounter.  The Roger 21 will not encounter that problem as there is no need to switch to MT.

@Mary Beth I may need a bit more information then.  He uses the Roger 21 and Roger Pen with his Sonnet.  But this wont be the same case with the Rondo 2, correct? So, how can he not use the Roger mylink?

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear.  I have bilateral Med-El CIs too and I also work with students in our K-12 school system as a Teacher of the Deaf.  So I work with a lot of Roger Systems.  They have great sound for speech.  It is a terrific system for overcoming distance and noise.

You can find Roger MyLink neckloops often on eBay.  However, we don’t recommend using Roger MyLink with young students because of the possible EMI.  For example......in the same school there are rooms that do not pose a problem with buzzing from EMI and rooms that pose a huge problem with buzzing from EMI.  Mostly due to wiring in the walls.  So if there is a way to use a different receiver we opt for that.  

Your son has the Roger 21 with his Sonnet correct?  That is the better sound quality for school.  We would recommend that your son use the Sonnet and Roger 21 at school.

If you do choose to use the Roger MyLink at school, see if someone can listen in to check for EMI (buzzing).  It is a terrible sound to have to listen to.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I wish your son the best.

@Mary Beth

Ok, I was trying to find a way for him to use the Rondo 2 and the Roger system.  But if the Roger mylink has that problem then he will just have to keep wearing his Sonnet.  Seems a waste.  We were really looking forward to the R2.  But the information you have given doesnt seem conducive to a good learning experience.  Thank you for explaining it!

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

I am sorry.  I think the Rondo 2 looks awesome and I did put a demo Rondo 2 on my head at a Med-El Mingle event and was amazed at how light it it.  Definitely child friendly being one piece with an easy on/off button.  I have the original Rondos and love them in waterwear and when sweating.  I wasn’t sure what I would think of the one piece unit after wearing a BTE hearing aid for so long but I really like it.  I don’t use Rondo 1s as my daily processor in part because I require stronger magnets with Rondo 1s than with the BTE coils.

There is one other way to use Rondo 2 with the Roger System and it does eliminate the need to be on MT so buzzing is not a problem but it requires using the Rondo 2 remote battery pack.  So a thin cord would extend from the Rondo 2 to the battery pack (which although it is called mini is not actually all that small).  A Roger X (type 02) receiver would plug into the mini battery pack and pick up the signal from the Roger Pen.  I didn’t mention this because I heard the Rondo 2 voucher kit in the US was not including it.  And also because many people do not like having a cord run from the Rondo to the battery pack.  It can run under a shirt or between layers of shirts.  I will post a picture.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

Link to info on the mini battery pack and Rondo 2

https://www.medel.com/support/rondo2/du_rondo2_mini_battery_pack

The mini battery pack itself actually works with several Med-El processors.  We just need the correct cable and attachment piece.  So the mini battery pack AND the Rondo 2 mini battery pack cable would be needed.

Here is a picture of what the Roger X (type 02) receiver looks like plugged into a mini battery pack for Rondo 1.  Everything would be the same for Rondo 2 except for the cable and attachment piece.

40AF3FEC-9AC2-4C7A-BE74-62267F9C87D5.jpeg

Oh wow!  That is a lot of information! Thank you so much!  I appreciate your time! I will be able to make an informed decision now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Mary Beth

I found your information so helpful reading about Sonnet and Roger Pen and Rondo 2 and the MyLink neck loop and receiver. I've been trying to find help and I am relieved to read your expert opinion in replies to questions. I would be really grateful for your advice.

12 years ago I was implanted and used an Opus. Now I have a Med-el Sonnet processor and I like to use Roger21 and pen in more challenging situations. My magnet is very low on my head so that the magnet knocks the processor. I am trialling Rondo 2 for this reason as it is the one unit. I like Rondo 2 but as you say I cannot use Roger21 and pen with it. I would miss using Roger Pen. I am a pianist and would like the best quality.

If I swap to Rondo 2, although the processor is excellent and a really nice natural sound, perhaps the Roger MyLink is not quite such good quality as the Roger21 and Pen ? But I have not tried Roger MyLink. If it would pick up buzzing or humming then I would not choose that.

I have another idea and that is the option to place the Sonnet processor on my other ear connected by a longer connection wire leading behind my head to the magnet. That way I would still use the Sonnet and Roger Pen but not get the knocking on the magnet. So I have ordered this longer connection. I am completely deaf on both sides but just have the one implant.This implant transformed my life for the better and took me out of that silent world I was in before. So hearing is incredibly precious to me.

So to summarise  - Which is best quality for challenging situations e.g..classroom etc. -- Sonnet and Roger Pen or Rondo2 and Roger Mylink and neck loop?

I am a musician, a pianist so clarity is really important and I am extra fussy !

Also one other separate question -  I like to plug a three pin audio connection directly into the Sonnet processor from the audio socket on my piano keyboard, as that way I can practice for hours and only I myself can hear it.This facility is extremely important to me. If I keep the Rondo 2 and use this same connection with audio, then it would need to go via the battery pack, so do you think  there might be buzzing or humming as there will be an extra wire using the battery pack?

With many thanks and best wishes

Elizabeth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Elizabeth Elliott and welcome to HearPeers. We have several members who use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver so hopefully they will join in and share their experiences.

Roger Pen is not my favorite Roger transmitter.  I prefer the advanced mic technology in the Roger Select.

Some users who have the same issue of their magnet placement use thin moleskin on their coil which eliminates the sound of the Sonnet clicking against the coil.  Have you experimented with that yet?

Sonnet will be able to use the new Med-El AudioLink when it comes out.  Expected release per Med-El’s press release is this fall. It works as a remote mic and can also plug into headphone jacks.  It does not require the Roger 21 battery cover since it will communicate directly with the internal 2.4 receiver which has been dormant in our Sonnets.

Using a long cable and wearing the Sonnet on your other side is definitely an option.  It may take time to get used to hearing sounds in your implanted ear that come from the other side of your head.

Back to Roger options.....

Roger 21 has advantages over Roger MyLink:

-it’s an integrated receiver as opposed to a neckloop receiver

-you stay on M as opposed to MT or T. Telecoil encounters electromagnetic interference in some settings.

-Sonnet will return to your program’s mic setting when Roger is asleep.

But AudioLink may be even better than the Roger 21.  It seems to offer better mix ratio options.

The direct audio input cable from your piano to your Sonnet FM cover is an option.  I find that cable too stiff and it pulls the Sonnet off my ear.  I use BOSE QC 2 (yes 2) with a plug into my piano.  Very comfortable.  Excellent sound quality.  They can still be found on eBay.

Rondo 2 appeals to me.  I have Rondo 1.  I use CozyPhones flat stereo speakers that plug into my piano headphone jack.  Only $20 and unbelievable sound quality.

Bottom line..... if there is no electromagnetic interference in the room, Roger MyLink is great.  If there is electromagnetic interference in the room, Roger MyLink will buzz.

Tough call right?

How are you leaning?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am trying to remember who has the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  How is it working for you?  Any situations where you encounter electromagnetic interference (buzzing)?

@Jdashiell

@Lita

@Ford

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@C T lex

Thank you for writing back so quickly. How amazing and so kind and helpful.This is all very useful information.

I'll have to decide which one to keep, Sonnet or Rondo2. It's a difficult decision since I like to use Roger, but I'll bear in mind everything you have mentioned and I'll ask for extended time to decide.I will try your suggestions.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you so much

Elizabeth

Hi, haven't written in a while. Yes, I still use my MY Link neckloop with my Roger Pen. I haven't used my Roger 21 in months. The neckloop works well with the telecoils in my hearing aid (Left ear) and Sonnet (right ear). I have not noticed any buzzing or electrical interference. By the way, it has been 2 years since my implantation, a kind of milestone. It was well worth it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

Happy 2 year CI anniversary!  Time sure does fly!

I am glad your Roger MyLink is working out so well for you!

Thank you Lita. 

I have been updated from Opus processor which I really liked and now to Sonnet.

Sonnet I find very different. 

I am trying to decide whether to keep my Sonnet processor which can connect with Roger 21 or have a Rondo 2 processor which I am told connects with Roger MyLink.

I am glad you haven't had any buzzing or electrical interference. Thank you for telling me.

I am a pianist so quite fussy about quality.

Thank you for writing. Happy 2 year anniversary. I had my implant 12years ago. It transformed my life for the better.

I got so used to my Opus processor, loved it, but now I am told I must move on.

Many thanks

Elizabeth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Elizabeth Elliott

Were you using your OPUS from activation 12 years ago until your recent switch to Sonnet?  Was it OPUS or OPUS 2?

I have both OPUS 2 and Sonnet processors.

Thank you Mary Beth. Yes I was using my Opus 2 from activation and used it until the switch to Sonnet last year.

So I was using Opus 2 for twelve years.

Med el cannot support Opus 2  as it is old stock. I am encouraged to move on.

I am a mentor for the deaf here in UK so in order to keep doing that I would need to wear the current Med-el processor/ s.

The audiologist did improve my Sonnet by pulling out the connecting wire and putting it back in so it is better than it has been (I wouldn't dare to do that) and a new remote control. 

But the Rondo  seems much more like the Opus 2 that I liked so much. But the assistive devices that I mentioned earlier are extremely important to me. 

I have ordered MyLink so I will try that out when it comes. I have asked the company to send what is compatible with Rondo 2. So I presume there will be no pen. Is that correct ?

I will find out how much Rondo 2 costs as well. I'll ask Med-el.

You play the piano too.Wonderful. I must try that BOSE that you mention.

So grateful

Elizabeth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Elizabeth Elliott

OPUS 2 and Rondo 2 both use ASM 1.  They manage sound in a similar way.  Sonnet 1 uses ASM 2.  It manages sound a different way.  Sonnet 2 which is coming out now uses ASM 3 and manages sound in an all new way.

The Roger receiver (Roger 21, Roger MyLink) must be compatible with the processor.

Roger 21 is only compatible with Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.

Roger MyLink neckloop receiver is compatible with all Med-El processors.

Roger transmitters communicate with Roger receivers.  Both the Roger Pen and Roger Select along with Roger Clip on mic, Roger tabletop mic etc all work with these Roger receivers.  Lots of choices for transmitters.

Good luck experimenting and finding out what works best for you.  You had a long run with your OPUS 2 processor.  (I love OPUS 2 as well.)

• 5 months later...

@Mary Beth, am I correct then in understanding for school children using Roger in class, the BTE Sonnet 2 is much easier to use than the Rondo @?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

Both Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 can use Roger systems.

Our preferred teacher mic in school is the Roger Touchscreen Mic.  But some people use Roger Pen or Roger Select.  

Whichever Roger transmitter you use, it must send the audio to a Roger receiver.

For Sonnet and Sonnet 2, the most convenient Roger receiver is the Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver.  Sonnet and Sonnet 2 stay on M settings.  Bilateral Sonnet users will need 2.  One for each side.  Sonnet and Sonnet 2 can also use other Roger receivers but Roger 21 is most convenient.  

For Rondo and Rondo 2, the most convenient Roger receiver is the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Rondo and Rondo 2 must be in MT setting to hear both the teacher and students/self.  Rondo and Rondo 2 can also use another Roger receiver but Roger MyLink is most convenient.  Sometimes processors on MT pick up electromagnetic interference (EMI).  It sounds like buzzing.  It is important to make sure there is no EMI in the classrooms where the Roger MyLink will be used.  It is worn around the neck so only one is needed.

Does this help?  What grade are we talking about?