mshaley2

Rondo 2 and Roger Pen

Hey everyone! Do you know if the Roger Pen will work with the Rondo 2? We are supposed to program my sons R2 on the 21st!

Haley

@mshaley2

That is very exciting!  Let us know what your son thinks of Rondo 2.

Yes the Roger Pen works with Rondo 2 BUT you need to use a Roger receiver that is compatible with Rondo 2.

Easiest option is the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  However this requires the Rondo 2 to be in MT setting which can pick up electromagnetic interference which will be perceived as a buzzing sound in some settings.  It also requires that the Roger MyLink receiver is worn around the neck.

@mshaley2

A92A14C6-82AA-425A-B87A-B93781CB1117.png

@Mary Beth  that is not good news at all.  He is just getting used to using the FM system at school with his Sonnet.  I was hoping to not have to buy anything to keep this system up.  I guess he just won't wear it at school till I can afford or figure something out.  Thank you so much for the information.

@mshaley2

Two thoughts......

Roger MyLink (and be sure it is Roger MyLink and not just MyLink) is often found on eBay.  And perhaps his school system has one.

We prefer not to use Roger MyLink at school with young students as they may not report any EMI (buzzing) they encounter.  The Roger 21 will not encounter that problem as there is no need to switch to MT.

@Mary Beth I may need a bit more information then.  He uses the Roger 21 and Roger Pen with his Sonnet.  But this wont be the same case with the Rondo 2, correct? So, how can he not use the Roger mylink?

@mshaley2

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear.  I have bilateral Med-El CIs too and I also work with students in our K-12 school system as a Teacher of the Deaf.  So I work with a lot of Roger Systems.  They have great sound for speech.  It is a terrific system for overcoming distance and noise.

You can find Roger MyLink neckloops often on eBay.  However, we don’t recommend using Roger MyLink with young students because of the possible EMI.  For example......in the same school there are rooms that do not pose a problem with buzzing from EMI and rooms that pose a huge problem with buzzing from EMI.  Mostly due to wiring in the walls.  So if there is a way to use a different receiver we opt for that.  

Your son has the Roger 21 with his Sonnet correct?  That is the better sound quality for school.  We would recommend that your son use the Sonnet and Roger 21 at school.

If you do choose to use the Roger MyLink at school, see if someone can listen in to check for EMI (buzzing).  It is a terrible sound to have to listen to.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I wish your son the best.

@Mary Beth

Ok, I was trying to find a way for him to use the Rondo 2 and the Roger system.  But if the Roger mylink has that problem then he will just have to keep wearing his Sonnet.  Seems a waste.  We were really looking forward to the R2.  But the information you have given doesnt seem conducive to a good learning experience.  Thank you for explaining it!

@mshaley2

I am sorry.  I think the Rondo 2 looks awesome and I did put a demo Rondo 2 on my head at a Med-El Mingle event and was amazed at how light it it.  Definitely child friendly being one piece with an easy on/off button.  I have the original Rondos and love them in waterwear and when sweating.  I wasn’t sure what I would think of the one piece unit after wearing a BTE hearing aid for so long but I really like it.  I don’t use Rondo 1s as my daily processor in part because I require stronger magnets with Rondo 1s than with the BTE coils.

There is one other way to use Rondo 2 with the Roger System and it does eliminate the need to be on MT so buzzing is not a problem but it requires using the Rondo 2 remote battery pack.  So a thin cord would extend from the Rondo 2 to the battery pack (which although it is called mini is not actually all that small).  A Roger X (type 02) receiver would plug into the mini battery pack and pick up the signal from the Roger Pen.  I didn’t mention this because I heard the Rondo 2 voucher kit in the US was not including it.  And also because many people do not like having a cord run from the Rondo to the battery pack.  It can run under a shirt or between layers of shirts.  I will post a picture.

@mshaley2

Link to info on the mini battery pack and Rondo 2

https://www.medel.com/support/rondo2/du_rondo2_mini_battery_pack

The mini battery pack itself actually works with several Med-El processors.  We just need the correct cable and attachment piece.  So the mini battery pack AND the Rondo 2 mini battery pack cable would be needed.

Here is a picture of what the Roger X (type 02) receiver looks like plugged into a mini battery pack for Rondo 1.  Everything would be the same for Rondo 2 except for the cable and attachment piece.

40AF3FEC-9AC2-4C7A-BE74-62267F9C87D5.jpeg

Oh wow!  That is a lot of information! Thank you so much!  I appreciate your time! I will be able to make an informed decision now!

@mshaley2

I hope the Rondo 2 programming went great!