AudioLink for Sonnets

Mary Beth

13 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Marion nancy

I am so confused by what I have been reading from users of the AudioLink.

People keep mentioning audio moving directly from phone to Sonnet 2 with the BT connection.  I thought the only direct thing happening with Sonnet 2 is using the AudioKey app as a remote.

So much conflicting info being posted as everyone tries to figure things out.

@MED-EL Moderator Will you help us please?

Sonnet 2:

1). Can phone calls stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?
2) Can other audio stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?

There is so much conflicting info being posted about the Sonnet 2 and connectivity.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for tagging us. 

Our product experts just confirmed: No, it is not possible to stream to SONNET 2 without using AudioLink. For phone calls as well as other audio streaming SONNET 2 users still need  AudioLink. 

Hope that answer helps and sorry about the confusion!

Best regards, Verena 

@medel moderator 

help with answering the cel phone when a call comes in.  I seem to be loosing my connection.  Sonnet 1 I hear it ring it shows audiolink is ticked and who is calling.  I press answer (iPhone 8)and I cannot hear them.  Blue tooth is on.  No problems making outgoing calls.  Much appreciated 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

When you receive a call through AudioLink, accept the call by pressing the key on your AudioLink instead of on your phone.  Test it out.  Here is a pic.

424B579D-568E-4493-8DAE-A7A20E1A1667.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Thank you Verena.

I have not seen this amount of confusion over a Med-El device ever before.  Users are sharing what they are being told from their audiologists about the AudioLink and about Sonnet 2 connectivity features and so much of the information is inaccurate.

Many, many AudioLink users are encountering static.  Please let us know when Med-El has a fix for the static issue with the AudioLink.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Thank you Verena.

I have not seen this amount of confusion over a Med-El device ever before.  Users are sharing what they are being told from their audiologists about the AudioLink and about Sonnet 2 connectivity features and so much of the information is inaccurate.

Many, many AudioLink users are encountering static.  Please let us know when Med-El has a fix for the static issue with the AudioLink.

Thanks again

@Mary Bethsincere thanks for info

@Mary Beth

Per my email with Artone the new model will have replaceable battery and neck loop. That's all they've shared to date. They offered me a discount when they come available as compensation for warranty/charging issues with my current 3 Max. I'll post here when I learn more!

• Like 2

@Davidd thx .  That will be great with the rechargeable battery.  Will check Canadian distributor.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

Artone already uses a rechargeable battery but we can not replace that rechargeable battery when it ages.

Maybe we can with the upcoming model.

@mary Beth I tried to pm the full note from my wonderful audiologist but it it did not work therefore here goes.  It would great if everyone was blessed with such a wonderful caring audiologist 

reasons for static:the audiolink should be vertical at all times for best clarity.  Never on its side..

the audiolink should be in your direct line of site 

something between the audiolink and speech processor could cause static 

from what I am reading this is quite the temperamental 3 year old 👶 

as I have been in with bronchitis and getting bored I will try these optons this weekend and see if it reduces static

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

Thank you so much for sharing that AudioLink info.  

Let us know how things work for you.  I dislike the static.

Hi, I received my Audiolink today. So disappointed with the quality of the sound - how could they spend so many years on such an inferior product?

Here is a copy of a post I just made on the Med-El Facebook page: 

Audiolink issues. I got got my Audiolink today for use with bilateral Sonnet 1's. I'm wondering if the unit is faulty.

There is a constant low frequency hissing whenever it is sending audio to the Sonnets. This happens with all 3 different input types (Mic, cable and BT). This is really annoying and ruins an otherwise good sound quality.

Has anyone experienced the same?

Also I tried to go for a walk outdoors while listening to music from my phone connected to the Audiolink with the supplied cables. I had phone and Audiolink in my chest pocket. Whenever I turned my head to one side I would loose sound on the ear furthest away from the Audiolink. Anyone experienced that?

Also it is hard to believe that they could spend 4 years developing a new BlueTooth device that does not support BT audio streaming. And why does my Sonnets make a loud beep whenever I try to adjust the volume on the Audiolink? And why keep the bright blue and white lights on all the time while the Audiolink is in use? I would preffer to turn off all lights and volume button sounds, they are just annoying and not of any use 1f642.png

After reading through this thread I believe all Audiolinks are faulty. I have been looking forward to this product since before I got my first implant more than 4 years ago. I really hope that Med-El will come up with a solution that actually works.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

I experience sound quality, range and connectivity issues with AudioLink as well.  

My most used assistive tech is the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

11 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

My most used assistive tech is the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

But this neckloop will not give you stereo sound? 

Does anyone know if the Sonnet 2 has the same issue with sound quality when using the Audiolink?

I also have a Roger pen, but only 1 receiver so far, does the Roger pen transmit in stereo when using two Roger21 receivers?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

You are correct.  For true stereo effect I use BOSE QC35 BT around the ear headphones.

I have heard that the Sonnet 2 uses the same internal receiver as Sonnet 1.  If that is true, the AudioLink experience would be similar.

I hope Med-El offers true stereo, direct connection to phones for all audio types with great sound quality, range and connectivity soon.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

No Roger transmitters send the same exact sound to both receivers.

True stereo options for Sonnets.....

-DAI cables (Red jack mixes 90/10)

-headphones (BOSE QC35)

-Stereo silhouettes (music links)

-AudioLink (but it gives me too many sound quality, connectivity and range problems)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

Here is a pic of a pdf I made of true stereo options.  Click on it to zoom in.

671A4962-BF0D-4EF4-8B36-E60328A6686F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, some updates regarding Audiolink.

As I wrote last week I was disappointed by the Audiolink sound quality. I complained to Med-El Nordic in Oslo about this and they sent me a new Audiolink to try out. I got it yesterday and it had exactly the same issues as the first one - in a way this was expected but good to get it confirmed. 

However I decided to do some more testing and discovered that the sensitivity setting on our CI's also affects the Audiolink sound. Turning the sensitivity all the way down will almost eliminate that annoying background static noise. At least it did for me. So try it if you have not already done so. 

Now I have reserved one program on my Finetuner for Audiolink use and have turned the sensitivity all the way down on this program, this gives acceptable sound quality even when listening to music.

I also sent a wish list for future Audiolink improvements to Med-El:

1. Robust and noise free transmission of sound from Audiolink to CI
2. Support for A2DP bluetooth stereo profile so smartphones can send sound without the need for a cable
3.Soften or make it possible to turn off lights on Audiolink - it just looks weird taking a walk in the dark with the Audiolink hanging around your neck :)
4. Reduce the beep volume when changing Audiolink volume, it is painfully loud 
5. Make it possible to remote control Audiolink when docked to a TV - i.e: adjust volume and turn external mics on/off

@Helgeoi had spoken with my audiologists who is an angel.  I was sent a new audiolink plus audio cable.  Wow what a difference.  I still find it to loud and working with that. But l am enjoying it .  This one is not using up much battery life

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

Are you experiencing any connectivity issues?

How far away can you be from the AudioLink and still have good sound quality?

@HelgeoThat is the only problem.  You must be relatively close to the audiolink. I keep it clipped on my collar of my sweater.   In this manner the artone 3 max you can walk around your house and hear loud and clear.  

13 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Helgeo

Are you experiencing any connectivity issues?

How far away can you be from the AudioLink and still have good sound quality?

Yes, there are connectivity issues. It seems to work OK up to about 3 meters (10 ft) as long as there is a free line of sight between CI and Audiolink. But once I start moving around one of the sides will loose connection, typically when turning the head so that it comes between the Audiolink and the CI. This makes it hard to use when going for a walk, audiolink in jacket pocket does not work well. Attaching it to collar or hanging it around neck is better, but then you have the issue of where to put the cable and the phone.

Lets hope that the next Med-El processor will have bluetooth stereo built in just like Cochlear N7 has.

@HelgeoI have kept my phone in my fanny pac  Or blue 2car.  Works quite well and needless to say under these circumstances I have been walking even though cold or go bonkers.  I have never listened to so many audiobooks 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo and @Marion nancy

Yeah, I hope Med-El offers direct connection in stereo in the next processors too.  Both types of processors- behind the ear and off the ear.

The limitations of the AudioLink significantly outweigh its benefits for me.  The Artone 3 MAX is just so much more user friendly and never has a connectivity issue.  And the BOSE QC35 BT headphones give me an option for true stereo.