AudioLink for Sonnets

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I recently received my Audiolink and am working on learning all about it. I used the coupon from MedEl when I bought it on WebShop.

merry Christmas to me!

i see that audiokey App is available but not in US yet, is it available in Canada?

28 minutes ago, Jdashiell said:

I recently received my Audiolink and am working on learning all about it. I used the coupon from MedEl when I bought it on WebShop.

merry Christmas to me!

i see that audiokey App is available but not in US yet, is it available in Canada?

@JdashiellYes I have an appointment for an adjustment for sonnet 1.  😊still prefer artone for audiobooks streaming.  Otherwise great with tv and cell calls.  Slight crackle and will contact our Med-El to see what can be done.  Lighter and smaller than Rogers.  Easier on batteries and no cover change.  Pretty much they both do a good job.  😀happy with best of both worlds.  Best wishes for the holidays.  🇨🇦🌲

Merry Christmas.  Happy Hanukkah.  Peace/Light and Hearing for 2020.  
Happy Holidays everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for listening to audiolink without the downloaded app.   Not as clear  as artone .  I believe there was a post where someone bought an adapter from Amazon.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

I find the Artone to deliver much better sound quality than the AudioLink.  I have a BT receiver I plan on testing plugged into the AudioLink but I haven’t tested it yet.

Which listening situations would you like to use the AudioLink?  Maybe we can brainstorm together.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Marion nancy

I find the Artone to deliver much better sound quality than the AudioLink.  I have a BT receiver I plan on testing plugged into the AudioLink but I haven’t tested it yet.

Which listening situations would you like to use the AudioLink?  Maybe we can brainstorm together.

@marybeth.  I do enjoy audiobooks and classical music.  Since doing rehab I find I can now read and knit at the same time.  So far the artone has proven superior specifically for music.  Unfortunately the audiolink also does not have a good distance range.   I googled Apple a2dpt adapters.  This took me to the Amazon site.  However not sure if that item will work

i did not change over to Audiokey.  This meant I was totally dependent on my phone.  I could not use the fine tuner if I switched over.  Therefore I would still need to carry 2 items. For sonnet 1 Audiokey needs Audiolink to connect.  Will see how the future goes.

after using audiolink for one week slightly disappointed in this expensive item.  Just about great for tv and Cel phone use.  It is small and light.  I find the mic has a slight crackle.  Any suggestions appreciated 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

I use my Artone neckloops for audiobooks and I also became a bit addicted to listening to audiobooks while doing other things!  Smile

Have you tried using your Artone for cell phone calls?  It works great.  Has a built in mic so your phone can stay in your pocket.  Just clip the Artone to your shirt so others can hear you clearly.

I have the Artone TVB connected to the TV  along with my neckloop and it works great and has awesome distance.  No static or crackling sounds.  It was about $55.

The AudioLink is giving me too many problems.  It has a very limited range, static and inferior sound quality.  It also disconnects at times from one processor or another.  I have not found a work around yet.  

The item I mentioned is not an A2DP adapter.  It is a BT receiver.  I am curious if I can get around the limited range and sound quality issues with the AudioLink by plugging this tiny BT receiver directly into the AudioLink.  It looks just like the control part of the Artone but doesn’t have an attached neckloop.  I do mean to test it out at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, Mary Beth said:

I recently had an opportunity to review the AudioLink with my Sonnet processors.  Today I asked Med-El if I could join in conversations here about the AudioLink or if I should wait until they use my review.  Med-El said I could join in conversations about the new AudioLink.

AudioLink works with Sonnet and Sonnet 2 processors.  For bilateral Sonnet/Sonnet 2 users, the sound is heard on both sides.

It is very easy to sync the AudioLink to our processors.  Very similar to pairing the FineTuner remote.

We can use the AudioLink three ways:

1) use the AudioLink by itself as a remote mic worn by someone or set on a table

2) use the AudioLink with cables for true stereo music (separate left/right instrumentals), listening to all audio from any headphone jack, connected to the TV via the dock

3) use the AudioLink with BlueTooth.  There are two ways the AudioLink works with BlueTooth.  One way is directly for phone calls.  The other way is through a BT converter app (A2DP blocker) that runs in the background and allows streaming of music, audiobooks, etc.

The AudioLink is not supposed to be used on planes. (Just like the Roger Select/Pen are not supposed to be used on planes.)

My favorite features of the AudioLink are:

* True left/right stereo for music IF the AudioLink is plugged directly to the sound source

* The ability to adjust the mixing ratio 

* Access to a 100/0 mix ratio (sound source only)

* No need to switch to MT or T so never encounter electromagnetic interference

Hopefully Med-El US will soon announce a release date and price for AudioLink.  

Why isnt it supposed to be used on planes? I didnt know that about the Roger Pen

• HearPeers Heroes

I use my BOSE QC35 BT noise canceling headphones on planes with my OPUS2 processors.

Rondo processors on planes.... CozyPhones flat stereo speakers or the red jack DAI cable with the mini battery pack.

Sonnet processors on planes.... CozyPhones flat stereo speakers or the FM battery cover with the red jack DAI cable

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

$20 CozyPhones flat stereo headband speakers sound terrific and let me hear on both sides with my Rondos in true separate left/right stereo.  They are my go to option for my Rondos when I can not use the wonderfully easy Artone...which can be worn under a shirt and is tiny and light.  So for me with my Rondos.... Artone is first choice, CozyPhones is second choice (planes or need to plug into a headphone jack) and mini battery pack with red jack DAI cable is third choice.

Things sound awesome with the mini battery pack and DAI red jack cable.  It just is more cumbersome.

I like listening bilaterally always. (Except if I am training speech or speech in noise.)

There is a bilateral red jack DAI cable which can plug into the left and right mini battery packs or plug into the left and right Sonnet FM battery cover with the Euro jack (3 holes).  There is also a unilateral red jack DAI cable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 12/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, Jdashiell said:

merry Christmas to me!

@Jdashiell

How are things going with the AudioLink?

• HearPeers Heroes

The  Audiolink has several pluses but a few minuses for me. 
I like the size and shape as it fits well in my pocket. It has a clip for lapels but  could be a stronger clip. 
I like how it pairs with my  sonnets using my Finetuner. Very easily. The microphone works well and I use it mostly at the restaurant table. 
The  microphone Is small and omnidirectional, however, but I adjust my Sonnets with the Finetuner accordingly. 
phone call are easy and wirelessly connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth.  I use InnoCaption for all calls and the Audiolink works flawlessly with that app. 
When I listen to audiobooks or music I must use the supplied cable and adapter for the iPhone or iPad. Although it’ works extremely well. I would prefer it to be wireless. But that’s me. 

Overall,  I’m quite impressed  

Joe

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

If you would like the AudioLink to be wireless for audiobooks or music, just download an A2DP conversion app on your iPhone and iPad.  Then run the app in the background per its directions.  You will be able to stream wirelessly that way.

https://www.medel.com/support/audiolink/audiolink_listeningmusic

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 2/6/2020 at 6:18 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

If you would like the AudioLink to be wireless for audiobooks or music, just download an A2DP conversion app on your iPhone and iPad.  Then run the app in the background per its directions.  You will be able to stream wirelessly that way.

https://www.medel.com/support/audiolink/audiolink_listeningmusic

Yes however the sound quality is decreased with that app. 
mill stick to the cable as quality is an important factor for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

I agree.  I dislike the sound quality of the A2DP converter apps and choose not to use them.

I hope Med-El offers direct streaming from all phones for all audio with great sound quality and no need for cables soon.  It seems like people find that option very important when choosing a brand.  I think the internal component is most important as well as Med-El’s great track record on the reliability and integrity of its internal devices.  

I look forward to easy direct streaming for all audio with awesome sound quality to all Med-El processors in the future and I hope that future is not too far away.  Smile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Gerry

I experience the static sounds too with my AudioLink and have not found a way to fix that yet.

@Gerry@mary Beth  my Audi is meeting Thursday with Medel reps re the audiolink.  She had spoken with the company direct concerning the static. Apparently this is because sonnet 1 does not have a direct line of site to the speech processor.  Wish they had given out more info before stating it is compatible with sonnet 1 and   2.   The other factor those who have sonnet 1 and then go bilaterally and receive sonnet 2 still must use audiolink,  love my sonnet 1 and so grateful for hearing but would have appreciated a better feedback of audiolink for sonnet 1.  Will pass on any other info I receive.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

I am so confused by what I have been reading from users of the AudioLink.

People keep mentioning audio moving directly from phone to Sonnet 2 with the BT connection.  I thought the only direct thing happening with Sonnet 2 is using the AudioKey app as a remote.

So much conflicting info being posted as everyone tries to figure things out.

@MED-EL Moderator Will you help us please?

Sonnet 2:

1). Can phone calls stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?
2) Can other audio stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?

There is so much conflicting info being posted about the Sonnet 2 and connectivity.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

I think it’s great that your audiologist is meeting with Med-El about the static issue.  I hope Med-El comes up with a fix.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.

I've been remiss in not providing feedback on the Audio Link. I actually got it a few months ago but only recently started using it much.

The first problem was that I needed to visit my audiologist to get my Sonnet 1 programmed for Audio Link/AudioKey. That programming renders the Sonnet 1 unusable with the Fine Tuner. I chose to leave my spare processor linked to my Fine Tuner in case the Audio Link didn't work out.

Like others reporting on this forum I've experienced static when streaming sound from my Android 10 phone to the Sonnet via Audio Link. This happens with phone calls as well as streaming from one of the apps that route audio, such as BTMono.

I like the information that the AudioKey app on the phone provides. It's nice having the battery status, volume levels, etc displayed. I often forget which program I've selected when using the Fine Tuner. The app makes that more clear. However, using the AudioKey requires having the phone available to change programs or switch T-coil on or off. Also, when the battery gets low on the Audio Link the AudioKey app loses connection. I also had a situation where AudioKey/Med-El lost my login and required re-entering login credentials. A somewhat annoying inconvenience.

For me, with CI on one ear and HA on other ear, streaming from the phone to both ears doesn't work except with T-coil. Streaming directly from the phone to Sonnet with Audio Link is no better than T-coil and not as convenient. The Audio Link may have less electronic noise then T-coil but there is still the static issue.

Bottom line for me is that I will probably not be a regular user of the Audio Link. It might be a big help for those with binaural CI, particularly Sonnet 2. If/when I upgrade to Sonnet 2 and Audio Link advances to permit streaming of music directly instead of through a 3rd party app I may revisit the issue. Until then I think the Bluetooth to T-coil neckloop (Artone 3Max) works best for me. 

Dave

PS: Folks at Artone tell me a new version may coming out in a few months!  

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

Thanks for posting your experiences with AudioLink.  

I heard about a new version of the Artone neckloop too coming before too long.  I don’t know any details about it.  So far I have two versions of the Artone neckloop and I use them both.  They are equally great.  I wonder what changes the next version will have?

@Mary Beth@daved so loooking fwd to the artone 3.  Will ck with Canadian distributor as to when it will be available here.  Also looking fwd to the feedback of my wonderful Audi’s meeting with Medel.  I am so great full for her support 

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Marion nancy

I am so confused by what I have been reading from users of the AudioLink.

People keep mentioning audio moving directly from phone to Sonnet 2 with the BT connection.  I thought the only direct thing happening with Sonnet 2 is using the AudioKey app as a remote.

So much conflicting info being posted as everyone tries to figure things out.

@MED-EL Moderator Will you help us please?

Sonnet 2:

1). Can phone calls stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?
2) Can other audio stream to Sonnet 2 directly from the phone WITHOUT using the AudioLink?

There is so much conflicting info being posted about the Sonnet 2 and connectivity.

@Mary Bethso looking fwd to this answer😊