Sonnet Voucher

Ms_D

When will those in the U.S. be contacted about their Voucher for free Sonnet?  Have anyone heard anything yet?  I'm just wondering.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donna,

I am still waiting too. The vouchers were extended until the end of March 2016, so I am not expecting to hear anything until we get closer to the expiration date. However, I will be thrilled if it happens sooner rather than later.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I think, not all got vouchers. I am guessing only a certain number were produced. If you were outside of that window, you got a voucher. I received 2 sonnets about 2 months ago ( in U.S). I did however receive a voucher for the Quattro as well as the rechargeable batteries and charger. Once the 2nd mic plus the wind reduction program is available, it will be a matter of me going to my Audi to download the software.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

The voucher I was referring to happened in the USA for people implanted with MedEl prior to the release of the Sonnet. Your implantation had to happen between certain dates. We were given a voucher for a Sonnet when it was released in addition to the 2 processors you selected. The Sonnet has been available in the US for new implants and upgrades since I believe April, but MedEl has not yet started processing our Sonnet vouchers.

The expiration date was extended to March 31st.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

I remember you posting on another one of my post about the extended expiration date, I just became curious when they were going to start the process since there are some folks in the US who already are receiving the Sonnet.  I did contact Med-El (their U.S. office) and they did say that they are about to be starting the process of distributing the Sonnet to those with vouchers.  They said that we would be receiving stuff by mail via Fed-Ex.  They also said, as you have said, the vouchers due date have been extended.  

Thanks for your response.  I was just curious since it apparently been out for awhile yet we have not been able to redeem our vouchers so I was just curious. :-)

I was going to try to see if I can get the implant done in my left ear in 2016 since I am doing so well with hearing with the implant in my right ear, but Open Enrollment at work is taking place and the cost of the plans are expensive.  Not only that, the deductibles and total in-network out-of-pocket costs are rather high.  So, I have to use 2016 as the year to try not to go to the doctor much and save up in hopes of being able to have it done in 2017.  Since my doctor and audiologist is not in network next year, I may have to switch audiologist for my final appointment (the one year mark since activation day).  I don't know.  

Anyways, thanks for the information. :-)

Donna

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I guess it looks like Medel is on top of it. I can assure you, they are trying to work as hard as they can to get everybody up to speed with the Sonnet. One thing to look at is supply and demand. The demand for the Sonnet is pretty high. Even though I'm sure Medel has taken steps to have an inventory before sending them out. I guess we need to be patient.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donna,

Yeah dealing with in network and out of network doctors and audiologists can be frustrating. I had my second CI surgery by a different surgeon for that reason exactly. The new surgeon was terrific as well so I got lucky.

Are you using the Opus2 now or the Rondo? I presently have a Sonnet on my new implanted ear (left) and an Opus2 on my right ear (activated in March).

Let's post when we hear that our vouchers are getting processed. That way we will know it is starting!

Have a nice day,

Mary Beth

Hi folks, finally got my password issues taken care of.

Yes I too am waiting on my voucher to be fulfilled. Had my first implant surgery January 30 2015 while MEDEL's 2 for one deal was going on. Just like the rest of those lucky folks I received a letter letting me know my voucher was extended to March 2016.

Ever since summer I have been trying to find out when it would be honored.... Soon is all I would get from my local rep.

Thanksgiving week I had my other ear implanted. So Christmas week I will have my new hardware... My biggest gripe is knowing when I have my second surgery I WILL RECEIVE MY SONNET. Great news but now I will feel like I have 1 black shoe and 1 brown shoe on because my hardware will not match.

Sure this must be very technical and sophisticated equipment. Sure it's probably very popular. But it's not like it's a new iPhone with millions of people wanting one. I don't feel it's right to make your existing customers continue to wait while the products are being made for new patients.

Anyway, I love being able to hear now when I thought I never would again. I have had no problems with my current Rondo other than I am a bald man and walk around with an antenna on my head

Hi Donna,

Thanks for following up about your SONNET voucher. It sounds like you've already spoken with someone here in our U.S. office, but I wanted to make sure that you received a response here as well.

The good news that you heard is true! We're in the final stages of implementing all the processes needed to fulfill the vouchers, and we'll contact you directly before we ship your SONNET. Thanks for your continued patience! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or contact your local MED-EL representative.

Kind regards,

Jesse

Mary Beth,

My primary processor is the Rondo.  I do switch sometimes to the Opus 2 when I don't have many batteries left for the Rondo and we (my husband and I) can't afford to order more batteries for it.  I prefer the Rondo over the Opus 2.  My main issue with the Opus 2 is that after about a week (sometimes even a day), it hurts behind the ear from wearing it.  I'm not sure if this is a common things among Opus 2 users.  Maybe it's just that I have not yet gotten fully used to the Opus 2 since I don't wear it often.  I will be wearing it for awhile (I am currently wearing the Opus 2) since we can't yet afford to order more batteries for the Rondo.  I have a couple of more weeks of batteries left for the Rondo, but I'm trying to balance it out.  Besides, I need to practice with the Opus 2 as well. :-)  Okay, I'll post when I hear something.

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna,

I'm not sure if you already did this or not but someone on another board mentioned that they were on a monthly automatic battery shipment from MedEl and that their insurance covered the batteries. I was doubtful that my insurance would cover the batteries but I thought it was worth checking out. I emailed my MedEl customer service rep and he contacted the MedEl rep for insurance and guess what? My insurance does cover batteries for my CI so now I am on that monthly battery plan too. If you have not checked with your MedEl rep about this, you may want to do that.

I never would've thought that my insurance covered CI batteries but I am thankful that they do.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Always ask - always...;) that's what life teaches us. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Depending on insurance in the U.S. Ha and CI batteries are covered by insurance. Another option for you is to by your batteries from Amazon.com. They are very reasonable. About the same cost or cheaper as going to your local pharmacy. The only concern I had about buying them from Amazon was how fresh they would be. They lasted just as long as the ones I got from MEDEL.

You really shouldn't have any issues with the opus 2 giving you "hotspots" where it gets tender at the end of the day. If it is the coil, the battery might be too strong.

The only time I would have and issue is if I wear my DAI battery cover for long periods, especially if the cable is attached as it pulls down on the processor with me moving around. If you wear glasses that might be the cause as well. Might have to practice finding the right comfortable position. Be sure to let your Audie know so they can take a look. It could be a very easy fix. Hope this helps

• HearPeers Heroes

Or at the E-bay? It's possible to get a real bargain there.

How much does it usually cost in the drugstore?

In Croatia batteries are only covered for CI and children.

• HearPeers Heroes

My first Opus2 gave me a hot spot behind my ear and when I told my audiologist about it, she had MedEl replace the entire thing (D-coil and all) and everything has been great since then. They also replaced the DiCapo batteries and the battery charger at the same time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, a pack of 8 batteries (store brand) in a pharmacy will cost around $8.00 U.S.

Depending where you go, prices vary. Name brand batteries are more expensive. Cheaper to buy in bulk if you can.

I buy my batteries from a website called micro battery. I generally buy 2 boxes at a time for around $80 USD. They are fast shippers and only takes about 3 days to receive. Power One zinc air are those batteries I received with my Rondo processor. 3-1/2 days are my lifespan before the beeping starts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, a pack of 8 batteries (store brand) in a pharmacy will cost around $8.00 U.S.

Depending where you go, prices vary. Name brand batteries are more expensive. Cheaper to buy in bulk if you can.

What about the implant type of batteries? I believe these are not so frequent at the market - I know for 2 companies. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I can get the CI batteries from Amazon at around the ame cost as ha batteries. Haven't seen any difference in battery life

• HearPeers Heroes

I can get the CI batteries from Amazon at around the ame cost as ha batteries. Haven't seen any difference in battery life

You use regular batteries? Not the implant one? There should be - implant should have more power.  :huh:  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I received my sonnets, I have plenty of CI batteries. I tried the generic brand as a comparison and don't see a noticeable difference. Maybe that is just me

• HearPeers Heroes

Which one? By generic you mean - regular 675 type of batteries? I don't follow you really... I have never seen the regular type of batteries from Power One for instance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Generic meaning regular 675 batteries, not CI specific. I have used power one and another type. No difference that I can tell.

I believe the CI batteries have more openings for air. This supposedly make them more powerful but people complain that they don't last as long.