July 2022 GoogleMeet for Med-El CI users and families

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

July 10th GoogleMeet 

9:15 am New York time (meeting opens at 9:00 for socializing)

So far invites will be sent to the following members (no need to respond, you are on the invite list):

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Dianna

@Betsy

@Jdashiell

@tmscarlett10

@Andrew42

@Heather W  FIRST TIME

@Ralph34

@Prof Mo

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Lauren

@Bill C

@Megan L.

? @Enegra will let us know closer to the meeting date

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

July 10th GoogleMeet 

So far invites will be sent to the following members (no need to respond, you are on the invite list):

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Dianna

@Betsy

@Jdashiell

@tmscarlett10

@Andrew42

@Heather W  FIRST TIME

@Ralph34

@Prof Mo

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Lauren

@Bill C

@Megan L.

@Jared Charney

? @Enegra will let us know closer to the meeting date

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

July 10th GoogleMeet 

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Dianna

@Betsy

@Jdashiell

@tmscarlett10

@Andrew42

@Heather W  FIRST TIME

@Ralph34

@Prof Mo

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Lauren

@Bill C

@Megan L.

@Jared Charney

@Mary Jo Strickland

? @Enegra will let us know closer to the meeting date

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello July 10 GoogleMeet group,

In a moment I will send a test group email to the email addresses you provided for our GoogleMeet. Please check that you received it.  If it is not in your inbox, please check your spam folder.  If you did not receive the test email, please let me know by Friday.  Thank you!

And I created our HP group private mail message topic and asked you all to respond to a question.  Please try to do that by Friday.  Top right menu- look for the envelope icon.  Thanks for your help.

UPDATED

July 10th GoogleMeet 

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Dianna

@Betsy

@Jdashiell

@tmscarlett10

@Andrew42

@Heather W  FIRST TIME

@Ralph34

@Prof Mo

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Lauren

@Bill C

@Megan L.

@Jared Charney

@Mary Jo Strickland

? @Enegra will let us know closer to the meeting date

• HearPeers Heroes

Great GoogleMeet chat today with 12 HearPeers members.  Wonderful to meet @Heather W.

Stay well everyone 

• Like 2

Great meet as always. It was soo informative (also as usual). 

• Like 2

Awesome meeting today! Sorry about my timing, I very rarely get weekends off. 

Welcome to the family,  @Heather W!!! I hope you found the information that everybody gave, helpful.

There are a couple of other things I wanted to mention, related to the discussion...

For whoever has Apple phones or tablets, a new hearing app has been released. It's called Clearly Audiobooks, by Biospeech. It's a really great app (I was a participant in their study).  You basically listen to audiobooks, and there are options to listen with the words, or with the narrator's face so you can read lips, or neither, and you can adjust speed. Then there will be a quiz about what you read, pretty easy actually, and another sort of hearing test (words and sentences to repeat) .... Or anyway, that's what the experimental version was like, I'm not really sure about the final product since I don't own Apple devices. But it helped me a lot with my rehab.

On another note... I don't know whether it's free or not, but I would encourage anyone who can, to check it out.

Also, I wanted to mention that my missing Audiolink was actually found in Delaware where I lost it lol, and I should have it back by tomorrow. I will charge it up, and hopefully it still works. 

I too have a love-hate relationship with the Audiolink, but I cannot easily use the phone without it. It's been brutal these last several weeks not having it with me for phone calls!!! And it makes listening to music and streaming a lot clearer (though when I use Audio2Ear to connect, I do get a sort of clicking sound that is usually only noticeable during pauses).

It does run the battery (I've only used it with Rondo3), but I don't think it's too significant (there is a portable charger cord that can be bought in medel shop, though I don't have one).

Audiolink never worked with my several-year-old tv, but I have a new smart TV now that I'm anxious to try it with.

And I have never tried using it in a group conversation, or even 1 to 1, but maybe somebody could talk me through how to do that. 

And to be completely honest, I'm not having any better luck with my Artone3. Can't connect it to my Rondo even with telecoil adapter (not sure it even works tbh, because I accidently walked in to audiolist office with adapter on after trying it, and she said there'd be different sound, and I heard no difference). Haven't tried it with Sonnet yet because I haven't been able to change to Telecoil without Audiolink connected to Audiokey2 app; and my Echo needs new battery. 

I do think that MedEl could definitely improve on their products. Why don't they take the ideas from Cochlear and AB and build something of their own from there? Companies do it all the time!!!

Like @Joan, I loved your idea about putting the 3 Gripwear together to create distance between head and processor! For whatever reason, my audiologist didn't like that idea and gave me those other things from Cochlear. Well, the box only comes with five, and though they last longer than Gripwear do, I'm already thru 2 while switching between my Rondo3 and Sonnet2. So what happens when I run out? I obviously can't buy them without a Cochlear account. So MedEl should create something similar since Gripwear purpose is to keep processor from falling off (to grip), and these pads from Cochlear are for soft comfort (specifically for magnet discomfort).

Screenshot_20220710-104727_Gmail.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Several of us participated in that study which ended up being Clearly Audiobooks.  @tmscarlett10 @Joan and me too.

I just tagged you in a new topic where you can get help with AudioLink. @tmscarlett10

It was great seeing you today.

• Like 1

@tmscarlett10 my audiologist gave me a box of Cochlear pads also. I tried them but found I prefer the GripWear. The GripWear solution was actually suggested to me by an audiologist at Med-El. I’m not sure why your audiologist is opposed to that solution. I’ve used it for nearly a year now. Since I use them only for the comfort aspect and not for gripping, I don’t see a need to change the stack of three too often, just every couple of months. Like you I don’t have any way to purchase  Cochlear products, and my audiologist is three hours away, which are reasons enough for me to use the GripWear.

And, yes, I agree Clearly Audiobooks is an app to try. A good way to rehab using audiobooks.

• Like 2