Bilateral Bliss

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan was my cheerleader during my bilateral journey.  I am so thankful for Joan!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan did you do quite a lot of rehab in the first couple of weeks with the second implant?  I won't even ask @Mary Beth - I think we can assume that you did!  ?

Well @Mary Beth I can't say I'm experiencing Bilateral sounds yet.... early times for me, for sure I'm steps ahead compared to first activation as I can recognise music and voice already since activation, I still don't feel I can depend on my new CI only. It certainly feels a lot noisier and different than using one CI only but I still can describe these differences properly. 

I have a home theatre at home and I usually sits ahead of the rear left speaker. Last night I could hear that speaker more than I used to when I had my right CI only. Cool isn't it? But I was using only my new CI so this weekend I'm going to try using both while watching tv to see how it is like.

@Mary Featherston I did a fair amount of rehab, mostly on my computer, the first 2-3 weeks with my second implant (did much more with my first!). I feel I was very fortunate that I felt so comfortable with my second implant as quick as I did.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes you are right.  I did tons of aural rehab!  I am actually still training musical pitch from time to time.  I can’t help it.  I experience improvements with listening and it is addictive.  

And let’s remember that my first side had not processed any sounds at all for 24 years before being implanted.  It needed a lot of help!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Tell us the things you already notice about the benefits of bilateral CIs.

First thing this morning,  I noticed it was dumb to choose the exact same  color for both processors

?

Other than that everything was clearer

I noticed I can pick up conversations from further away and easier all around

The clarity is improved,  although the sound quality isn't great on the new but everything sound much louder so i feel I need less volume to understand speech 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, @Nikki!  What you need to do is order different-colored microphone covers, it makes a lot of difference and then you have a quick visual cue as to which is which too.

That, or go wild at Skinit.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

I use small dot stickers on the side of each Sonnet that touches my skin.  

? right processor

? left processor

Audiologists tend to have these to mark hearing aids.

For those of you who had a hearing aid in one ear and a CI in the other, how did your hearing aid ear respond to the new implant?  Does it sounds just as good or better than the HA?  

@Percy after my first implant, I wore a hearing aid in the other ear for only two months or so. I found it to be very inferior and distracting to the sounds I got with my CI. Fortunately, I went bilateral five months are my first implant.

@Percy within not too much time the CI was better than the HA ear and very soon after I stopped even wearing my HA in that ear since it muddled the great sound from the CI ..now I’ve  just had surgery to implant that ear !

Jane

@Joan looks like you and I posted at the same time and said the same thing ?I did wait a year after my first CI to do my second ..

Jane

@Jane and @Joan that is great news. Thank you for the feedback.   After the implant in the hearing aid ear did you ever try the hearing aid again in that ear to see if there was any residual hearing left?

• HearPeers Heroes

My experience echoes Jane's and Joan's.  It's early days but I'm so happy to be bilateral!

@Percy I never tried it since I was hearing so poorly in that ear the HA didn’t do anything and I actually was able to donate my Hearing aides to a friend of mine as well as all my assistive listening devices who had them reprogrammed  and is happily using them ..I know I have the same residual hearing since the Audiologist tested that implanted ear at my post op visit with my surgeon..I don’t have much at all but I have the same small amount that I did before my surgery..I could tell I had about the same since I could hear what I did like the shower water running and doors slamming that’s about it

Jane

@Joan @Percy@Mary Featherston

Ive only been activated and bilateral 6  1/2 weeks but almost immediately I noticed the difference ..especially hearing In noise ..I have another mapping on Friday .i imagine it’s quite the journey to get both these CI s in sync so to speak but I’m so happy how I’m hearing and functioning :)

Jane 

I almost forgot to report that last Monday after mapping I put some music in my car while wearing both processors. I was blown away as to how immerse in the sound you feel when you are bilateral. It was so amazing for the first time to enjoy music like that, I almost cried while driving that day. It felt like I was in the cinema to be honest.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, yeah, @Daniel the Stranger - I'd actually been having an echo so bad in my first CI that I'd stopped listening to music in the car because it sounded so awful.  But even though my second CI is still muffled and unclear, when I listen to music now it sound much better than it did just with the one.  I can't wait till I get more rehab in.

• Like 1

@Jane @Daniel the Stranger @Mary Featherston you all are in for so many wonderful surprises as you become adjusted to your new CIs. I think you’ll be amazed at how incredible it is to be bilateral!

• Like 3