Bilateral Bliss

Mary Beth

@Mary Featherston I hope your echo is gone soon. I have some kind of tinnitus when I use my new Processor only, but the pitch it different to the one I'm used to having. This tinnitus is not as high pitch and it only happens when I wear the new processor only, When I put the first one the tinnitus disappears. It doesn't happen when I have the first processor only though.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

I wore my HA in the othercear for a couple of months.  It peaked at 3 months post activation and after that my CI ear did better by itself.  The HA was a noise maker.  I went bilateral CI 8 months after the first CI.

For me there is no use wearing any HAs.  My CIs provide awesome hearing.

Are you thinking about going bilateral?

@Percy i just had my HA ear implanted October 2nd and activated october 31st. imo it's already way better than it was with HA. 

This was originally my "better ear" 

I had very limited speech understanding right before the decision to go bilateral

I'm glad I did. 

@Percy I had my first ear implanted on 5th May. Activated at the end of May and used my hearing aid in the other side for just only one month. As @Mary Beth the HA was just a nuisance, it didn't add anything to my activated CI in my other ear. 

I got my second surgery and activation on 10th and 31st October respectively.

Thank you to everyone for your responses they are most helpful and encouraging. 

@Jane that is amazing that you still have your residual hearing even after the implant and can still hear water running.. etc. 

@Mary Beth yes, I am considering getting my right ear implanted @Nikki this will also be my ‘better’ ear. I find that I do hear more with the implant than with the hearing aid, it’s just hard to let go. 

Thanks again EVERYONE!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy  You will know when the time is right for a second CI.  Trust your instincts. Good luck!

On 11/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Yes you are right.  I did tons of aural rehab!  I am actually still training musical pitch from time to time.  I can’t help it.  I experience improvements with listening and it is addictive.  

On 11/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Mary Beth said:

And let’s remember that my first side had not processed any sounds at all for 24 years before being implanted.  It needed a lot of help!

I'm really interested in musical pitch training! I'd like to do this in a systematic way, but I wouldn't know where to start. As I've been deaf all my life, I don't know true pitch, but I do hear the difference in notes (even semitones) very clearly.

I had a ten year gap between having CIs. I got my R in 2000 and my L in 2010 (I was 23 by then). I still find my R side very dominant, but not necessarily clearer than the L. It sounds louder but I'm not sure if this is a perception thing because I've had it for so much longer and the neural pathways will be massively strengthened around it. It is hard to match them up, especially where pitch is concerned. Together, they sound good and provide good sound. I'm glad I have two because I can definitely hear better - I can hear voices all around me in a meeting, for example. Individually, they sound totally different. I have made an appointment in December to look at musical pitch and trying to do some evening up of the two sides, and will let you know how I get on!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck at your appt @MallaRuth.

I always train musical pitch bilaterally since that is how I listen to music ?.

I like the app for music majors called

Auralia Pitch Perception 

It was very cheap, maybe $2 or $3.  It gives full access to the pitch training levels with no additional cost.  I find it has great sound quality and I like how it displays the pitches on a musical scale after each listening item.

Balancing left and right CIs is a bit of personal preference too.  I balance for loudness of spoken speech (live conversations).  For me, I can tell when my sides are balanced based on where in my head I perceive the sound.  Center is balanced.  This may vary for different users.  We are all so unique.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yesterday was the first day that I didn't have all that much pain where the processor sits on my incision.  So here I go:

Morning comes, the day begins, I hear what people say and then

a song is heard, more meetings held. the day goes

on, packed full of sound and I can mostly hear what's there and then I know

that nothing hurts I say Hallelujah.

?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Redid it a bit, does is the scansion any better?

morning comes, the day begins, I hear what people say and then
a song is heard, more meetings held.  the day progresses
full of sound and I can mostly hear what's there I realize that
nothing hurts and I say oh, Hallelujah.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...