Playing musical instruments with our CIs ?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Quite a few of us enjoy playing musical instruments with our CIs.

I think it will be fun to have a new topic about that.

What instrument do you play?

Did you play before getting CIs?

How are things going playing with your CIs?

Any helpful tips?

• HearPeers Heroes

I was actively into being a musician in school.  In elementary school I played the flute in band, and then in junior high switched to bassoon and played in both band and orchestra through junior high and high school.  I loved the orchestra; it was one of the best experiences of my life.  But bassoon is an instrument that you don't just sit there and play, you have to listen and keep your notes in tune by adjusting your embouchure and I stopped playing after high school - just couldn't do it anymore.  I was in the city honors orchestra for a couple of years but ended up just not being able to do it anymore.

I did play piano, had eight years of lessons as a child.  I no longer own one.  I do have an electronic keyboard though.  Maybe when I'm more rehabbed and have more time (I'm aiming to retire in six years) I will set it up again.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

We had similar awesome musical instrument experiences growing up.  Special memories indeed.  I also had switched to piano and then donated it when my hearing made playing impossible.  It has been so much fun to play again.  We bought a digital piano.  Love it.  I hope you return to playing after your second side settles in!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I've also long wanted to learn classical guitar.  My brother is a guitarist (though not classical).  I may buy a guitar and take lessons!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Featherston said:

I was actively into being a musician in school.  In elementary school I played the flute in band, and then in junior high switched to bassoon and played in both band and orchestra through junior high and high school.  I loved the orchestra; it was one of the best experiences of my life.  But bassoon is an instrument that you don't just sit there and play, you have to listen and keep your notes in tune by adjusting your embouchure and I stopped playing after high school - just couldn't do it anymore.  I was in the city honors orchestra for a couple of years but ended up just not being able to do it anymore.

I did play piano, had eight years of lessons as a child.  I no longer own one.  I do have an electronic keyboard though.  Maybe when I'm more rehabbed and have more time (I'm aiming to retire in six years) I will set it up again.

My father-in-law played clarinet prior to WWII.

He is 93 now and started playing again at 50. He is an attorney ( Tax) and plays so very well. He got me started in the Jazz camp  we go to every July. Amazing!

my point is start again. Choose an instrument- it something you can due throughout your life and a great way to listen, improvising your audio skills and memory and brain training.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Quite a few of us enjoy playing musical instruments with our CIs.

I think it will be fun to have a new topic about that.

What instrument do you play?

Did you play before getting CIs?

How are things going playing with your CIs?

Any helpful tips?

5 hours ago, Jdashiell said:

@Nikki show a pic!!

Ha!  I thought i showed you, Joe!

Anyway was going to email you my bilateral activation went great.  Guitar already sounds more fabulous

I've got a Gretsch parlor guitar very pretty and sounding amazing.  Rich lows and bright highs.  I absolutely love that I can play and enjoy music again.   Here is my beauty

Btw, Joe, you've mentioned to me that you use headphones and play along music.  Do you have headphones that do both at the same time?? @Jdashiell

20180620_184325.jpg

• Like 4

@Mary Beth great, that you started this new topic! ?

My family is into music so I started around preschool/primary with a music group for kids (turned single sided deaf around age of 3 years), went on to learn playing the flute, moved on to transverse flute (classes for 4 years), started singing in a choir aged about 15 and learning to play the piano at 16 (took lessons for 1,5 years) - I just love music, both playing it and listening to it! ?

The truly amazing thing though is that, for me, once I got my CI music got even more amazing: I'll never forget the first time I sang in the choir and could finally hear the full, grand sound of all voices singing (brought tears to my eyes, it was so amazing and wonderful) - I didn't know, what I was missing with SSD in that aspect of music! For playing the transverse flute I still need to adjust within the fine tuner programs/settings as high pitched sounds are an issue for me. I love playing the piano with my CI, wouldn't want to play it without the CI as I can hear the left hand betternand more distinct now! Also going to live concerts is pretty amazing with the CI (live in concert: Hans Zimmer, Ludovico einaudi, mark Forster, Ed Sheeran,...  just to name a few of the concerts I had the pleasure of enjoying with my CI)! ?

And for all of you ci-uswrs loving making music: ever heard of beats of cochlear?it's an internstional annual one week long music festival for ci users, taking place in Poland. In 2017 I had the awesome opportunity to participate and it was great to be a part of it!it"s all about learning from professionals as well as making music together, performing on stage at various concerts throughout the week and simply sharing the love for music with people from.all over the world! ?

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@VeroNika

It is amazing how you play the piano and how you compose original piano compositions!  You have quite a gift.

I am so glad that you are active on HearPeers now.  You bring a voice to single sided deaf with CI users.  I enjoy learning from you.

the Beats of Cochlear has videos on YouTube for anyone who is interested in viewing them.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@VeroNika

It is amazing how you play the piano and how you compose original piano compositions!  You have quite a gift.

I am so glad that you are active on HearPeers now.  You bring a voice to single sided deaf with CI users.  I enjoy learning from you.

the Beats of Cochlear has videos on YouTube for anyone who is interested in viewing them.  

@Mary Beth thank you for your kind words!also I really enjoy participating in hear peers! ? And if somebody wants to know more about Beats of Cochlear just let me know and I'm happy to share! 

• HearPeers Heroes

This is a fun topic!

Let’s post pics of playing our instruments or enjoying music another way!

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Nikki said:

Ha!  I thought i showed you, Joe!

Anyway was going to email you my bilateral activation went great.  Guitar already sounds more fabulous

I've got a Gretsch parlor guitar very pretty and sounding amazing.  Rich lows and bright highs.  I absolutely love that I can play and enjoy music again.   Here is my beauty

Btw, Joe, you've mentioned to me that you use headphones and play along music.  Do you have headphones that do both at the same time?? @Jdashiell

20180620_184325.jpg

I can play through my sennheiser headphones using a Vox attachment for bass. There is one for guitar too. However i most play through my amplifier and I have a BeatBuddy pedal for drums that  I play along with. The Beat Buddy is the very best tool to enhance practice time, hands-down the very best. 

Using my CI bilaterally to listen and play music is so awesome and exhilarating let alone fun. I feel I hear better than I have ever heard. I always thought when I wore HAs that people with CIs had and advantage, now I know why.

• HearPeers Heroes
Just now, Jdashiell said:

I can play through my sennheiser headphones using a Vox attachment for bass. There is one for guitar too. However i most play through my amplifier and I have a BeatBuddy pedal for drums that  I play along with. The Beat Buddy is the very best tool to enhance practice time, hands-down the very best. 

Using my CI bilaterally to listen and play music is so awesome and exhilarating let alone fun. I feel I hear better than I have ever heard. I always thought when I wore HAs that people with CIs had and advantage, now I know why.

By the way- beautiful guitar!!

• HearPeers Heroes
55 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

Will you teach us about your Beat Buddy?

See https://singularsound.com/

view the demo videos

The BeatBuddy is a digital effects pedal designed for guitar and other instruments, manufactured by Miami-based Singular Sound. The BeatBuddy is the first guitar pedal drum machine, and provides a drum machine with hands-free control. The pedal uses recordings of non-quantized drums, as recorded in a studio.

you can set various styles or genre ,such as blues, rock, jazz, funk and more. Then adjust the tempo with a dial.
one stomp on the pedal starts the drum pattern
one additional stomp creates a semifinal beat for one bar, such as at the end of a phrase, yo can also hold down the pedal to create 
two stomps creates an ending to stop