Rogerpen vs Audiolink

Valentin

• HearPeers Heroes

Wich is more convenient? Someone that have both system and could share difference between both devices?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

AudioLink only works with Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.

For Sonnet users there are many similarities and a few differences.

Are you considering switching from Rondo to Sonnet 2?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth, it is not for me. Someone in a facebook group comment about it, and I have curiosity.  This user have doubts about to buy Rogerpen or Audiolink.  I think my next processor will be a one piece unit again 🙂 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

I have used both.

AudioLink works only with Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2

Roger works with almost all CI processors and hearing aid brands 

AudioLink only requires 1 piece (AudioLink) and sends the signal to an internal receiver in the Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.

Roger requires more than 1 piece.  The Pen or Select (I prefer the Select) sends the audio to Roger receivers.  These receivers can be attached to processors or hearing aids (like the Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver for Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2) or can be a neckloop receiver (Roger MyLink) and CI/HA then need to be on MT or T.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select are BT ONLY for phone calls.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can use an A2DP converter app to stream other audio from phone.  The sound quality is degraded.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be plugged into TV, etc 

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be used as remote mics worn by a speaker.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be used on a table for a small group.  The Select outperforms the others in this setting by far in my opinion.

AudioLink is a fixed gain mic.  Roger Pen/Select adapt to the noise level.

Roger Select has 3 mics which create 6 directions.  It uses adaptive beamforming. The others do not.

AudioLink allows the user to alter the mix ratio.

AudioLink is true stereo for left/right music.

Roger Pen/Select have a greater range than AudioLink..

The sound quality between these options is different.  I recommend people test out these devices before choosing the best device for their needs.  I also suggest people test out the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  

• Like 3

@Mary Beth your response was so helpful!! I am shopping for my 9 year old stepson. He uses the RogerPen at school, and has the AudioLink at his Mom's house. We have been able to play around with the AudioLink some, but not the RogerPen. I foresee the two biggest uses of whatever device we choose being 1. for coaches/teachers/etc to provide instruction from afar and 2. watching tv with family. Do you have any other suggestions or a recommendation on which you think would be the best option for him? Is there another product you would recommend over these two options? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@CArgo

I am glad it was helpful.

A quality and comfortable around the ear BT headphones (BOSE QC35 work great for me.). and Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop (link to my review is here. 
http://www.handsonhearing.com/user-review-on-artone-3-max-bluetooth-neckloop/

may be helpful for streaming audio in an easier way.  

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Valentin

I have used both.

AudioLink works only with Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2

Roger works with almost all CI processors and hearing aid brands 

AudioLink only requires 1 piece (AudioLink) and sends the signal to an internal receiver in the Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.

Roger requires more than 1 piece.  The Pen or Select (I prefer the Select) sends the audio to Roger receivers.  These receivers can be attached to processors or hearing aids (like the Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver for Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2) or can be a neckloop receiver (Roger MyLink) and CI/HA then need to be on MT or T.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select are BT ONLY for phone calls.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can use an A2DP converter app to stream other audio from phone.  The sound quality is degraded.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be plugged into TV, etc 

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be used as remote mics worn by a speaker.

Both AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select can be used on a table for a small group.  The Select outperforms the others in this setting by far in my opinion.

AudioLink is a fixed gain mic.  Roger Pen/Select adapt to the noise level.

Roger Select has 3 mics which create 6 directions.  It uses adaptive beamforming. The others do not.

AudioLink allows the user to alter the mix ratio.

AudioLink is true stereo for left/right music.

Roger Pen/Select have a greater range than AudioLink..

The sound quality between these options is different.  I recommend people test out these devices before choosing the best device for their needs.  I also suggest people test out the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  

@Mary Beth

Excellent review!

i must point out that because the AudioLink is designed and built by MedEl for MedEl Sonnets 1 and 2, it is simple to use. It just works out of the box. A real convenience. 
Roger pen and Select are both excellent products as is the Artone Max 3. 
The Roger devices require the Roger receivers (Roger 21 or RogerX with FM battery cover, or the Roger My Link) the Roger Pen/Select must be paired to the Receiver before use. 
The  Artone Max 3 requires pairing to your phone and requires telecoil mode (T of MT). 

Everything needs recharging of fresh batteries and those that pair to Bluetooth devices such a iPhone or Samsung phone frequently need to pair up again - that’s just a Bluetooth issue- IMHO. 

I also believe the sound quality is better with Roger devices or audioLink than with Artone 

again IMHO. 

@Mary Beth and @Jdashiell, I have really gone down the rabbit hole and found myself even MORE confused. It seems like the Artone MAX 3 and the added TVB transmitter and wireless mic would accomplish the same things as the RogerPen and AudioLink, right?? I am leaning away from the AudioLink because of its limited range. Can one of you help me weigh the RogerPen vs. Artone pros/cons? This is for a 9-year old, bilateral user. I'd like him to be able to watch TV (without having to wear headphones/disrupting the audio for the rest of the room ex: at a friend's house), steam music from a phone (which I imagine is easily accomplished from both),  I'd also like to be able to easily speak to him and get his attention in crowded settings, and have his tennis coach be able to give directions from across the court during group lessons. I really appreciate any insight you all have. In my research, I also got the impression that with the Artone you can control if the sound is coming from just the processor, just the Artone mic/TVB, or a combo. Is this also the case with the Roger or no? Thank you!

I have a Sonnet with the Roger 21 receiver and love it especially for Tv. It does drain the batteries a little faster if used for long periods of time. I usually just use it for Tv and it’s great. I can watch tv or play video games without any sound on the tv by plugging the pen plus base into the headphone jack or as an addition the the speakers if watching with others. One caveat may be older tv’s that won’t put sound to the speakers if something is plugged into the headphone jack so test that out first. The pen should work fine for the coach. The only small quibble I have with the Roger Pen is that it switches to omnidirectional mode automatically so if I forget to change the receiver before I go out, I’m stuck in that mode which I don't usually use. Small annoyance. The Artone neckloop is an absolute must have for streaming from a phone. I use it for phone calls and reading audiobooks. I haven’t tried the TVB as the Roger Pen works so well.

• HearPeers Heroes

@CArgo

I’m not sure where in the US you live, but if by any chance you are near northeastern NY I would be happy to let your son test out these options.  

Or if you are near western NY, we could meet while I am there for the ALDAcon in October.

I am a bilateral CI user also and for almost all settings I just use my processors and no assistive tech.

For hearing his tennis coach from afar with Sonnet processors right?  I would choose Roger Select transmitter worn by coach (it magnetically clips to a shirt) with Roger 21 receivers on each Sonnet.  The benefits of using this set up include....

-better distance than the AudioLink 

-your son just needs to have on the Roger 21 integrated receiver battery covers on his Sonnets.  He stays in M so will also hear through his regular Sonnet mics.  When the Roger mic is not in use, the Roger 21 will go to sleep and the Sonnets will revert automatically to their regular mic settings according to his MAPs.  When Roger is in use, his Sonnets will automatically switch to omni mic setting and mix the audio 50/50.

-for TV at home the Select dock can be cabled to your TV. It will be a 50/50 mix.

-for TV at friend’s homes, the Select can be set near the TV speaker.

-for hanging out at a table in noise, the Select can be placed on the table

———————

As for streaming music and audio from a phone....... Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop wins for me.  So easy to use.  So small and light.  True hands free for phone calls heard on both sides.  MUST have a way to switch to MT (mix) and T (streamed audio only) so a remote is needed.  

Will encounter EMI (electromagnetic interference) in some places (vehicles) which sounds like unpleasant buzzing.

Sounds the same on right and left sides (blended stereo signal).

My most used piece of tech by far!

(The reason I am not recommending this for tennis is that the neckloop would bounce around while running and that would be annoying.)

———————

Now for use on planes......Roger and AudioLink can NOT be used on planes per their own manuals.  Artone neckloop will encounter EMI buzzing on planes.

BOSE QC35 BT noise cancelling headphones to the rescue!  These are fabulous.  

These also have the best audio for music and are true stereo (separate right and left instrumentals).  

I love them!  I wore mine this past week while traveling.  Awesome!  Watched movies from my tablet, streamed music from my phone.

The BOSE app allows you to share audio to another BOSE headphone.  So we watched the same movie and each heard it and had separate volume control.

—————-

If I could have 2 devices, I would choose the Artone neckloop and the BOSE QC35 BT headphones.

But I do not require remote mics in my daily life.

I hope this helps.

Use of and types of preferred assistive tech vary from person to person.  If at all possible, let your son test out the options.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan has used both the Roger system and the Artone TVB for TV listening.  She uses Rondo 2 processors so uses the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Maybe she will share her experiences with TV sound quality for you @CArgo

• HearPeers Heroes

@CArgo

Sorry, I forgot to answer your mixing ratio question.

Roger 21 receivers with Med-El Sonnets are always a mix. 50/50 mix with no ability to alter that easily.  Technically it can be altered by adjusting the easy gain setting on the receivers BUT you can’t do that with the Pen nor the Select.  So it’s best to think of Roger 21 and Med-El Sonnets as always a 50/50 mix.

Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop easily gives us the option to mix (MT) or streamed audio only (T).  And since we have a volume control on the Artone, we can alter the mix ratio by adjusting the volume of the streamed audio at will.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help, @Mary Beth! We're way down here in Arkansas, but I really appreciate the offer to let him try it out! I am so thankful for all the information you provided. 

Hi Mary Beth,

I'm new here and have been looking for an answer about the Roger Select.  I was activated June 2019 and still experimenting with all this equipment (HA in other ear).    Have used ALD equip with HA in the past - loop systems, Neckloops, even Williams Sound transmitter/receiver with silhouettes. 

Now with CI, I have Sonnet and Roger Select/Roger 21 (no pen, Artone, or Quattro).  When I paired my Roger 21 boot with Roger Select , the volume is never loud enough, whether through TV or streaming from cell phone with audio book or phone call.  This is with full volume on phone but normal volume on TV.   Basically, I can hear better directly from the phone or TV, rather than using the Roger Select.  I also noticed that when the short  cable (USB to iphone jack) from Roger Select to iphone is plugged in, the sound is also blasting out the normal speaker on phone rather than the sound being private to me.  When I borrowed by CI friend's Quattro Pro, everything worked beautifully - plenty of volume AND the ability to change the volume.  Also, speaker not on and bothering anyone else in room.  Used the telecoil in this process.

Lastly, there was a post by Ron Sinclair on Facebook about there being an Inspirion Device that our audis might have to adjust the volume on the Roger 21.  I have not seen my audi lately, but she and a fellow CI user said they think I might have a defective Roger Select or Roger 21.  I thought I would ask here before contacting a Phonak rep whose name I was given.

Basically, not seeing the benefit of the Roger Select and would really like to use it.  Otherwise, I need to buy the other products, which all use T-Coil.  I have never been a fan of bluetooth but hear that it is the future.  Always felt it sounded "filtered or buffered" with not enough umph to get sound to my ear.  Thanks in advance for your help.  I so appreciate these forums.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Connie CAUSA

Let’s see if we can try to pinpoint the problem you are experiencing with your Roger Select and Sonnet Roger 21 receiver.

There is no need to set anything on the Roger 21 receiver for the Sonnet via the Roger Inspiro.  That only applies to Roger X receivers plugged into the euro plug (3 holes) on the FM battery cover.  The Roger 21 is already set up to work with Sonnets.  So no need to worry about that.

Being bimodal, if your HA has an active telecoil, the Artone BT neckloop may be a much better fit for you.  I love mine.  Plenty loud.  Sound quality is full.  Easy volume control.  It is something you may wish to explore.  Here is a link to my Artone review.  It is my most used piece of tech by far.

http://www.handsonhearing.com/user-review-on-artone-3-max-bluetooth-neckloop/

Now for your Select and Roger 21.  I would pair them again and test the volume level by using it as a remote mic first.  Clip it on someone or set it near a speaker.  Walk away a bit...still stay in line of sight....see how it sounds.  It should be loud and clear.  If it is not, there is a problem.

That being said, many Sonnet users notice that when they attach the Roger 21, the volume level of their Sonnet mics actually decrease a bit.  If you are noticing that, you may wish to have your audiologist create a slightly louder program for you to use with the Roger 21.  Many others have done the same.

As far as your phone still sending audio out its own speaker instead of the plugged in Select......there should be a setting on your phone that lets you choose the output.  The Select when cabled into the phone typically is represented by the headphone output symbol.

I am happy to explore your Roger Select issues with you.  However I do think you will find the Artone to be easier to use and it will deliver audio to both your HA and CI simultaneously on MT or T.

If you received your Select and Roger 21 from Med-El as part of your activation kit, you may wish to contact your customer service rep and find out the date of the warranty expiration on those two items.  I believe it is much shorter than the warranty on the processors.  This way if you need to exchange them because they are not working correctly, you will know the timeline you have.

H Mary Beth @Mary Beth,

Thanks so much for responding with such a thorough explanation.  I have seen your videos in the past and they are all very good.  I have used neckloops years ago (1990s) with my first Nokia cell phone and hearing aids and they have always been a great solution to hearing loud and clear crisp sound.   

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of what the Inspiro is all about.  I totally agree with you that the Artone neckloop or Quattro Pro are better choices and are definitely superior to what I'm experiencing with the Roger Select.  Basically, the sound is not adequate to compare to the neckloops.  Listening to the TV or phone by ITSELF is better than with the Roger.  I wanted something to stream to my CI when taking daily walks so I can do audio rehab.  I have tested the short audio cable that was provided with the Roger Select and it doesn't seem to engage the "headphone" mode on the phone so the sound still blasts from the iphone speakers for others to hear.  But when I use the Roger 21 FM receiver with my iphone, it definitely shows the "headphone" icon indicator.  And when my friend plugs in her earbuds, they also show the "headphone" mode on the phone.  Both of these silence the "iphone speaker" so no one else is hearing from the speaker.

I'm just disappointed that I need to spend over $150 (Artone) to get a solution that works.  Quattro is $229.  I know my hearing is worth it though.  

The Phonak was part of my activation kit and it looks like the warranty is one year.  I will check with the Phonak rep and see what they can do.  My next mapping appt is March 24 and I want to clear this up before then if possible.  (My activation was June 2019 so 8 mos into this warranty)

Thanks again for all your help.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Connie CAUSA

Something is not working right for you with the Select/Roger 21 combo.  It is definitely loud enough when I use it.  Are you able to meet with your Med-El area rep?  She/He may be able to help you figure it out.

Phonak has a one year International warranty but the warranty through Med-El on the activation kit’s Phonak items may be different.  Best to check directly with your Med-El customer service rep for warranty dates.  

I used the Quattro BT neckloop in the past and I much prefer the Artone.  I donated my Quattro neckloops as soon as I tried the Artone.  It’s a much better fit for me.

For streaming all audio while walking, the Artone or headphones are the most convenient option.  Great sound quality with no cables delivered to both your CI and HA.

Tech is fun to experiment with.  I do not consider a piece of tech useful unless I am still choosing to use it a year later!  Smile.

Keep us posted.  Good luck.

@Valentin I hope you won't mind, I have a few questions to ask you!!

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm curious!! While I'm waiting for the next stage.

Which do you prefer Bluetooth or using other methods for  music etc? 

Did you just get the processor or did it come with something else?

I have been told that there is a yearly maintenance fee which may be around 78-80 euros. Was this the case with you? 

What I do know that there will be a MED-EL rep from Madrid for once a month he/she will be heading down to the Malaga province for the mapping (I think). Did you have something similar? 

I'm really sorry to ask it's just that I have been given different answers from different sources.😟

@Mary Beth I have a question about the artone. Would you think it would work for unilateral hearing?  I am thinking ahead as I'm not activated yet.

I've been so used to having headphones. I'm now having to change how I hear sounds (eventually). So I'm trying to work out what would be the alternatives to headphones. If you see what I mean!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

Remind me......

one CI and normal hearing in the other ear?

Did you choose Rondo 2 or Sonnet 2?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66 don't worry about questions. I understand your because all of us here pass through them.

The only gadget I have is Cozyphones, I didn't decide by other yet, but sincerely I watch TV, ear the phone... directly with processor. It is something difficult mainly at the beginning, and in my case it is not perfect yet, but I don't use additional devices.

Depend of processor you select or center give you come with all necessary accessories to operate it, don't worry about it. Additional gadgets could be buy by you later, but don't hurry the first months. This is a voyage, and you must to have patient.

I don't know where you are implanted, all center has different policies about maintenance. The more expensive cost I have at this moment are batteries (around 150€). I ad bought some loops for secure Rondo to glasses, and no more cost, but as I said, depend of your center.

MED EL headquarter really are in Madrid, but them don't do map to you. This is done by your implant center. I live in Canary Island,, the center that implanted me me are here, and They do the map to my processor. I've never to go to Madrid for this process.

If you have more questions, go ahead!! 🙂

Sorry !!@Mary Beth . My right ear is considered no go. One day I would like to investigate more to see if there is something that can be done for it. So, I had my op last month for the implant on my left ear and it will be all that I will hear from. 

I believe I will have one of the sonnets, which one, will see when I get activated. There is a bit of confusion on the sonnets. As in 2016 the speech therapist set up on her computer for the order of the processor which was the Sonnet 1. Now there is Sonnet 2. So I don't know if it be the processor from 2016 or the latest!!!

Maybe end of this month or the beginning of April in theory I should have the appointment for the activation. Then I will know!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

Thanks for reminding me!

You have lots of options!

You can continue to use around the ear headphones (BOSE QC35 BT noise canceling headphones are my favorite).  Just set your phone to mono audio out and set it to the correct side.  There is no feedback with CIs so that is a definite plus.

You can use the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and set your Sonnet to T (streamed audio only) or MT (50/50 mix of streamed audio and Sonnet mics).  This is my most used piece of tech.

You can use Med-El’s direct audio input (DAI) cable with the battery cover that has 3 holes (Euro plug).  Red jack cable mixes 90/10 and yellow jack cable mixes 50/50.

You can use Med-El’s intermediary device called AudioLink.  Mine gives me static, distance and connectivity issues so it is not so helpful for me.  Some people have similar problems with it.  Some people like it.  Try to test it before buying it so you know if it is a good fit for you.  

Let us know how your activation goes!  That’s when things get exciting!

Thank you!! @Valentin I was implanted at El Clinico

( University Hospital,Malaga). I will be at the day clinic/centre down on the coast in Torremolinos. 

It was from the surgeon/consultant who mentioned of the rep from Madrid, but then the speech therapist has said completely different!!!

For the maintenance I will have to see what it is and what it covers. Ouch batteries expensive. Are they rechargeable or disposable batteries?

Thank you for letting me know that I won't have to worry a about the accessories for now.

So now I wait for the appointment for the activation. Can't wait!