AudioStream and iPhones running 14.7

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

iPhones recently updated to iOS 14.7

If you have updated your iPhone to 14.7, how is the connectivity with AudioStream working now?

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dennisjbr

@Dani

@SKOM

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

@John F

I have not upgraded yet, I will ask Medel if they have any guidance on that and I think they should email all AudioStreaM users about if Apple or Android updates are working etc or if we should wait etc

• Like 2

Thanks! I agree that it would be helpful for Med-El to email us. The streaming has been a total frustration. I’m not sure I want to try to set it up on my own until I hear it is working for others.

• Like 1

I haven’t done that yet. Scared too. Be interested if anyone has done it and what the results are

• Like 1

I've upgraded to 14.7 but haven't used my Sonnets much since I got the Rondo 3s programmed.  I should note the Sonnets have the same programs as my Rondo 3s as well now (all new) so I really should try them out.  haha.

Tbh under 14.7 it seems kinda crackling at times but haven’t had much chance to put it through the wringer since I’ve been on the iPad more with it and that hasn’t been updated to my knowledge.

• Like 2

So because of the reprogramming, etc we deleted my AudioKey profile in order to add the Rondo 3s. I had the AudioStreams working at one point but I only saw "(L)" and not both the "LR" sides.  So i deleted from hearing devices, removed from audiokey, and i'm having trouble pairing them again.  I forget all the tricks but i'm probably going to nuke my profile again and restart from scratch to get this all working again.  I hope to have notes on how i did the clear all and repair.  Unless @Mary Beth you have something handy?

Thanks in advance!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

All I have is the pdf I created on how to pair two AudioStreams with iPhone. I forwarded it to your email account.

If you cannot get your Sonnet 2 to pair with AudioKey2 even just to use as a remote, maybe delete the app and then reinstall.  There is a way in the app to report problems and ask for help.

• Like 1

Thanks Mary Beth! I replied to the email with some additional notes. I may want to add some new screenshots for both uni- and bi-lateral audiostream users, and for instructions on how to clear/reset and start over.  Let me know your thoughts on my email.

@Mary Beth, interesting observation. I was listening to Spotify, then turned on Live Listen via Hearing Devices control center option, then when i turned it off, the AudioStreams were not in-sync (echoey sound).  Restarting the processor that was lagging behind (or just restart both) fixes the problem.

BTW I'm using iOS 14.7.1 and listening to Spotify just fine so far.  

Making a phone call was good too so far. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

definitely post your tips/steps/screenshots in HearPeers so everyone can benefit.  There is no way to successfully share my pdf here.

I will be borrowing a friend’s set of AudioStreams later this summer and plan on updating my pdf then based on what is current at that time.

Fingers crossed that Med-El and Apple find a way to make things easier with bilateral AudioStreams soon.

• Like 1

When stopping playing audio, i hear a "click."  Same when turning them on.  I noticed they don't click in sync/at the same time, and that's when the echoing begins. frustrating.  But stopping audio, waiting a few seconds to hear the click and then starting audio again, seems to help sync audio bilaterally.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I call that a clunk sound.  It’s quite loud.

7 hours ago, Dennisjbr said:

the AudioStreams were not in-sync (echoey sound).  Restarting the processor that was lagging behind (or just restart both) fixes the problem.

BTW I'm using iOS 14.7.1

@Dennisjbr that means you are able to get both your AudioStreams paired to iOS 14.7.1 at the same time? I.e. Apple fixed the issue Med-EL users have since iOS 14.5?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

There have been Med-El users who could get both AudioStreams paired to iPhone using 14.5 and have AudioStreams work well.  There have also been Med-El users who have experienced many problems.  It’s all a bit confusing.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

So far Android AudioStream users are reporting very good connectivity but too quiet volume even with the phone set to max volume.  @Kylie figured out a work around using an audio booster app.

@Dani yes i'm able to get both AudioStreams together.  At first, I was unable to pair both of them. So i thought, ok let's pair one at a time.  The problem with this is then they don't appear as "one" or a set of paired devices together with the phone.  So I suspect some bi-lateral folks may be pairing one at a time. This causes problem and you should pair BOTH at the same time during the pairing/configuration process.  

I hope this helps!

@Dennisjbr

With 14.4 I am able to pair one AudioStream without Med-EL's AudioKey. If I want ti paitr both streamer at the same time I must use AudioKey. 

I suppose in iOS 14.7.1 you still need to use AudioKey 2 to pair both AudioStreams at the same time?

Thanks for clarification. 

I believe that's correct @dani!  You can definitely use the native iPhone pairing functionality but only one instead of both at the same time.  The iPhone has no way of knowing if the device you are pairing is for L or R.  So I believe when you pair either one it's always marked L.  That has been my experience, anyway!  Good luck and please let us know if we can help further.  Hoping to find time to have updates to @Mary Beth's awesome PDF.  

• Like 2

@MED-EL ModeratorAudioStream continues to be a very frustrating experience. Although I have been able to use it w/my iPhone 11 consistently for the past couple of months it is quite glitchy. For example I can't get it to work this morning and instead of trying everything under the sun I will let it be knowing it will come back on later in the day but the problem is: I would like to do my rehabbing now. Another consistent prob. that is happening: when I talk on the phone bec. I am SSD I don't prefer to stream my phone calls and it will dance between streaming the call, going through the speaker and the reg. way even though I'm pressing what I want. Sometimes this has resulted in me having to take my AudioProcessor off which of course is really problematic. Lastly, I think it would be greatly beneficial if Medel created some sort of email blast or maintaining a web page dedicated to what's going on with AudioStream for both iPhone and Android users and if we should or shouldn't be updated or operating systems. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Have just  heard from Med el. They are still testing iOS 14.7 with audiostream so they can’t tell us yet if it works. Meantime we’re to let them know if we have issues 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@karenRS

As AudioStream users in real everyday lives, we will discover issues first.  We are able to give feedback on how things actually work in real lives. Instead of testing in a lab.  I hope everyone who experiences or continues to experience problems with AudioStream lets Med-El know directly so they are aware of any issue.  In the US, we can email in house audiology.

audiology.us@medel.com

• Like 2

@Jared Charney

I am a little confused about your post. Maybe I've misunderstood.

In iOS's native functionality you can tab "Audio output" within your Hearing device configuration (hope this is the correct translation). There you can disable routing of your phone calls to one or the other or both (if two are configured) hearing devices. So you can listen to music or podcasts through your CI and talk on the phone using the normal iPhone's loudspeaker. 

• Like 1