November and December 2018 dates

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Esteban

If I am following you correctly....

your right side was your first CI and that is the side that sounds choppy to you.  Like cutting in and out sound quality?  Do you have a backup right processor?  If yes,  see if that sound quality is present when using your backup processor.  I suggest you describe this sound quality to your audiologist.

@Jewel I will, I have some things to say that I haven't shared with you guys... I hope to do this by the end of this week.

20 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Wishing @Daniel the Stranger and @Nikki the best tomorrow!

Thank you!

Today, I mean yesterday to you @Daniel the Stranger, went well.   All elections make sounds, I heard speech,  quality isn't great but  I feel extremely fortunate and grateful. 

@Esteban I have the choppy affect when my magnet is not secure or in place. Leaning on the side might move it.   It gotten better by moving up in strength or securing it better turning the magnet around till you hear it locked in or click even.  Not sure it's the same situation but this is what I came across.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Wishing @Daniel the Stranger and @Nikki the best tomorrow!

Thank you @Mary Beth!

Today, I mean yesterday to you @Daniel the Stranger, went well.   All elections make sounds, I heard speech,  quality isn't great but  I feel extremely fortunate and grateful. 

@Esteban I have the choppy affect when my magnet is not secure or in place. Leaning on the side might move it.   It gotten better by moving up in strength or securing it better turning the magnet around till you hear it locked in or click even.  Not sure it's the same situation but this is what I came across.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay for @Nikki

Can't wait for your chronicles @Daniel the Stranger. I always enjoy them.

Next up @Mary Featherstonand @Marion nancy. Woo hoo! Will you be recording your activations? Looking forward to hearing how your activations go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I hadn't thought of recording it.  It's probably way too early for pictures of me (I can't for the life of my imagine why I agreed that it would be a good idea to drive into the city during morning rush hour.  Only for activation, I tell you what.)

• HearPeers Heroes
35 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Good luck @Mary Featherston

Thanks, @Nikki - I'm still hoping to get my audiologist to try to do something about this hideous echo in my "old" CI as well.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Has that echo always been present in your first CI?

Nope.  It has for the last month or so, but my audiologist didn't want to make any mapping changes today because the activation of the second one changes things quite a lot.  Also, she thought that some of the echo might be due to the surgery - biochemical changes (who knows, maybe it was that nasty hydrocodone - I truly don't understand opioid addiction) - anyway, that could have affected how the CI sounds.

So.....we activated the other side.  All electrodes are firing and I could hear voices right away.  There is an overtone in the higher frequencies that's making the voices sound not too great, but it's actually not bad.  All in all, it seems better to me that my first activation with all those beeps and Mickey Mouse sounds.

The real surprise is the extent to which using both processors make BOTH SIDES sound better already - I mean, sitting there in my audiologist's office I listened through both processors, and then tried each one by itself and they both sounded worse and somehow reduced.  Guys, seriously, two CIs just completely rock.  And I haven't even had them for two hours yet.

And here's another thing:  my kit didn't arrive.  Kirsten (my audiologist) had a heck of a time trying to track the package because it was apparently delivered to one of the other University hospitals, and then they sent it to another incorrect place within the U of M system.  The person who received it there sent it back to Med-El.  So Kirsten called Med-El and they are shipping a kit to arrive before my second mapping next Wednesday.  But apparently JUST TODAY the Roger Select is available for inclusion in processor kits and Kirsten asked them to put that in my kit instead of another Roger pen.  So I'll get to have that too, which is pretty cool.

Right now in my left (newly activated) ear I'm using my backup processor from the right side and a magnet that Kirsten had in her office.

So, all things considered, a good start!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Seems like you got lucky on your kit not arriving.  In my opinion, the Roger Select is way superior to the Roger Pen.  Enjoy it.  The Roger Select has the most advanced mics of any Roger transmitter.

great start!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

How does your audiologist want you to listen with your new side?  Use both sides?  Use only the new side?

It is interesting to hear all the different approaches.

• HearPeers Heroes
38 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

How does your audiologist want you to listen with your new side?  Use both sides?  Use only the new side?

We agreed that I need both processors at work, but I'm to use the second one alone as much as I can at home.  I'll need to do more structured rehab again - mostly lately with the first processor I have been just watching videos and listening to audiobooks, but I think it helps to use the apps for the first week or two.

But she said that having them work together is important too, so the fact that I'm working gives me a convenient demarcation point.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Sounds like a great plan.  After all the goal is awesome bilateral hearing.  Enjoy your new CI journey!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Glad to hear u are doing well.  I feel like there is a little man in my head talking to me.  Beeps beginning to fade. Not very robotic as I had anticipated.  Still have a lot of dried blood in ear therefore might take a little longer.  Next week will try E A S. just gave me 2 programs for this week. The noises I hear . Water. Cars in th street. Telephones . Has really made me want to practice

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Sounds like a great plan.  After all the goal is awesome bilateral hearing.  Enjoy your new CI journey!

To 

• Like 2