August 2021 HearPeers GoogleMeet Chat

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday August 15th

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just respond below to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Tagging members who have participated recently but everyone is welcome to join in.  We usually have first timers at every meeting.

@Joan

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Jared Charney

@Kylie

@Kirk S.

@John R

@Shiyi Wang

@sassychele02

@ChicagoIris

@Dennisjbr

@Jdashiell

@Bill C

@Nikki

@Karen T

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

Sunday August 15th

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just respond below to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

INVITES SO FAR ARE BEING SENT TO:

@Mary Beth

@Joan

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Kylie

@Shiyi Wang

@Dennisjbr

@Bill C

Are we serving coffee? :) I may not be able to make it after all since we are moving our youngest back into college that weekend. However If i have a spot where i can sit down and join, I most definitely will!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I will most definitely try to be there August 15

@Mary Beth count me in. My meeting with my surgeon is the next day, so I’m loading up with questions to ask him. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren and @Eric in Tulsa

in a moment look at the top menu, select the envelope and there will be a private HP mail message from me to get your email addresses for the invite.  Invites are sent 15 mins before the meeting.  It will be great to see you both.

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

Sunday August 15th

INVITES SO FAR ARE BEING SENT TO:

@John R

@Jared Charney

@Jdashiell

@Lauren (first time)

@Eric in Tulsa (first time)

@Bill C

@Mary Beth

@Joan

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Kylie

@Shiyi Wang

@Dennisjbr

How much time should I set aside for this chat session? We usually leave for church at 11:15 your time which means I have to plan getting ready before that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

You can leave the chat anytime.  It opens at 9 for chit chat and starts at 9:15 with introductions.  Then each month is different depending on who participates and what topics are popular at the moment.  Most chats last about 1.5 hours.  We wrap up by 2 hours at the latest now.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Just checking in to see if you want to join the August chat this coming Sunday 

@Kirk S. ?

@sassychele02 ?

@ChicagoIris ?

Yup, I’m in. Looking forward to it! I’ll fill you in on my plans to visit UNC-Chapel Hill late next month. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth.

Yes, I’m looking forward to it. In the meantime,  I’d like to ask if you have any hotel recommendations or any other advice about staying in Chapel Hill.

FYI, Joyce Thomas has set up a series of appointments for me with Adrienne Pearson, who has a PhD in audiology and seems to be one of the leading audiology folks at UNC. So I’m feeling pretty comfortable about that. She and Joyce figure we’ll need three or four appointments over 10 weeks to create an effective map for my right-side CI. You can’t really predict these things, of course, so it could take longer or shorter, either of which is OK with me.  Ten weeks sounds like a long time, but I’ve spent longer in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan and a bunch of other places a lot less pleasant than North Carolina, so it should be easy.

Joyce also booked a couple of appointments for me with Dr. Matt Dedmon, who seems to be the leading Otolaryngologist at UNC since  Dr. Pillsbury retired a short while ago. We’ll see if he has any ideas about the declining hearing in my “good” left ear. I’m sure he’ll also work closely with Adrienne on my CI issues, as well. Dr. Dedmon has a PhD from Harvard and worked at MEEI previously, so it seems like I’m pretty well-educated hands! 

So, I’m working out the logistics now. Tokyo to Chicago to Chapel Hill; 16 hours or so, including layover. The folks at MedStay are helping me book a hotel in Chapel Hill. Do you happen to remember where you stayed when you visited Chapel Hill? Any lodging recommendations? It seems like Chapel Hill has a nice little walking downtown area near the UNC campus, so I’m hoping we can book a place there. Let me know if you have any ideas. I’ll ask Shiyi if she has any ideas, as well, since she lives just down the road. Otherwise, I’ll look forward to seeing you and the gang on Sunday!

Best,
Kirk

• Like 2