New to Heer Peers, Hello from Delaware!

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 6/12/2018 at 9:02 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Things are going well @Megan L.  speech is up there now and still working on it. I’m not loving the testing I get since I’m in a study group with my new ear. But that’s ok. Someone has to do it so that Canada will consider two implants for adults. Or at least Ontario. As for wow moments they are there but seem to be subtle these days. I was listening yesterday during training and was able to hear and not continually follow along. So it’s getting there. Also being able to have a conversation in a noisy environment is getting better too. 

@Kara of Canada - I so hope your study encourages Ontario to provide bilateral CIs for others - and that from there other provinces do so as well.  I have a friend in New Brunswick who would LOVE to be bilateral.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope I can be a stone in the throw. To the right direction for sure. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I wish the testing that was available better reflected how we hear in our real lives.  Although booth testing comparing a unilateral CI with bilateral CIs can show the improvement of understanding speech in noise and in locating sound sources, it can not show how much easier it is to listen with two CIs than with one CI.  And it can not show the improved sound quality of hearing with two CIs.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I do have improved speech recognition with two. What the Audi was saying was she was looking to see how the brain was doing with one then with two. How things evolve going ahead. So we shall see. I do hear better with two. 

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Yesterday marked the two years since my activation. Two years since I returned to the world of sounds. It was hard, but it was worth.

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Happy 2 Year Hearing Anniversary!!!  Mine is tomorrow ? 

It was hard but definitely worth it. I still continue to hear new sounds as surprising as that is.

Hope all is well with you Valentin!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston & @Mary Beth

Thank you!!! It’s been quite a journey and it does keep getting better ? I never thought I’d ever hear all these amazing, wild sounds in the world like I do now. And now NYC brings its own variety of sounds to listen to and learn ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks guys. Happy two years @Megan L.

The journey continues slowly, but forward. the people in the forum have contributed that it is much better.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Valentin !!

Glad you are doing well! We do have some pretty awesome people on the forum that have made our journeys so much better than if we did it alone (well people who don’t have CIs) ?

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Megan L., happy to read you...

After 3 years..mmmm, _sincerely, it is not perfect, but never I want to go back 🙂. This is not an easy trip, looking forward without giving up...

• HearPeers Heroes

Great to hear from you @Valentin 😁 glad to hear you’re still improving and hearing better. Have any WOW moments to share? I turned the heat on tonight and it’s not forced air (it kind of radiates from the baseboards) but I heard a soft “whooosh” and I thought to myself I would never had heard that 3 years ago!

• 11 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well I guess I should bring my thread back around to the front 😁

First, Happy early Hearing Anniversary to @Dave in Pittsburgh & @Valentin & myself 🥳 Time flies when you’re hearing fun!!

Second, this Friday I have my audiologist appointment for an extensive hearing test for insurance purposes. I qualified 4 years ago but it needs to be recent. Then next Thursday (10/29) I meet with my surgeon at his Bethesda location for the 2nd CI consult. 

Who would have thought I’d finally be getting my other ear done...I didn’t!! Stay tuned 🤩

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth!! It’s time and our chat also really helped me decide 😁 Appreciate all your feedback on your 2nd CI!! 

@Megan L.@Mary Beth well Mary while you were enjoying your first snow fall we in Pittsburgh enjoyed balmy spring type weather and Megan as my audiologists always said this is one test you want to fail so good luck hope in going bilateral. As you may remember I had my second in 2018 an every once in a while I have a WOW moment.

GO FOR IT💃🕺

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh that’s a good point your audiologist makes! I’m 100% sure I failed the test 🤣 I picked out the processor (sonnet 2) and the audio link comes with it. Now I have to see what my surgeon says next Thursday. If all goes well the surgery will probably be beginning of December. And yes, I have no doubt the WOW moments will still keep coming! @Mary Beth My audiologist said that he’s guessing the Rondo 3 will be available the end of November because he’s getting new software around that time 😁 I picked up the Rondo 2 out of curiosity and it’s MUCH lighter than the first one. The Rondo 3 will be awesome 👍 

Hope you 2 don’t get snow yet....still too early! We’ll leave the snow for @Mary Featherston 🤣 It looks pretty though!

@Megan L.Yes I agree leave the snow for Mary Beth. I am jealous of you and hopefully getting Rondo3 next year I am due for my 5 year upgrade but I am putting it off for extra 2 years and that way I will get both side done at the same time and who knows what will be available by then.
Yes I meet an individual in West Virginia who had Rondo 1 ,I was truly amazed in the weight of it compare to Rondo 2 that I happened to be wearing at the time.