Surgery August 21

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Jewel said:

Mary, 

I told them from January that I wanted a Rondo 2 when it came out. No one bothered to tell me that I won't benefit from this promotion. I could have ordered a Sonnet and a Rondo2. But they made sure to keep quiet and get me two Sonnets so as to force me to have to buy a Rondo2 separately. I am not amused. 

If they knew that, then yeah.  Definitely I'd be bothered.  But I don't think they CAN order Rondo2 yet.  You could have had the original Rondo though.

@Jewel  congratulations for the surgery,, it doesn't look too bad, you look like you are going to have a quick recovery. Good to have your family with you. I'm too far away from mine, just my wife and a couple of friends came to visit.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I am happy your surgery went well.  If you are concerned about anything (like spitting up blood), you can contact your CI surgeon.  Did they give you a phone number to call if you have concerns?

I am sorry about the Plus Rondo 2 decision.  The timing of info has been less than wonderful.

I believe you commented about wanting to use a one piece processor before.  Maybe if you contact your CI audiologist, she can switch your activation kit to one Sonnet and one Rondo (original Rondo).  I love my Rondo.

Rest easy.  I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, that's a good idea - my audiologist doesn't order my processors till I have the surgery so @Jewel may be able to change the order if she can get hold of the audi fast enough. @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Couldn't sleep last night so I complained to my Med-El rep. She just emailed me to advise that her director has approved me benefitting from the PLUSRONDO promotion! Feeling happy now! 

@Jewel. Great news! I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. That's usual for 1st night. Hope you get a nap in today. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I’m sorry this process has been so extra complicated for you.  I’m glad you were able to get everything worked out in the end.  I just wish it had been easier.

YAY about the PLUS RONDO 2 promo.  You will be all set with three processors and the warranty on those.  

If ordering items will be complicated for you from Jamaica, maybe you can order things while you are in the states?  Items that will be needed in addition to those in the kit.....

-Sonnet mic covers (Med-El says to replace them every three months and a few are in the kit to start us off but then we need to order more.)

-waterwear covers (The kit may include a sample pack but then we need to order more. You may want to wait until the Rondo 2 waterwear covers are available if you plan on using Rondo 2 in the water.)

-disposable zinc air batteries (You mentioned power outages so you may want to have disposable batteries for your Sonnet.  Power One Implant batteries are my favorite.  Some may be included in the kit but then we have to order more.  It is cheaper to order batteries online than through Med-El USA.)

I am sorry you did not sleep well.  Rest easy today.  Hopefully nap a few times.  Smile.  You have sorted everything out.  Now you just need to rest and heal and await your activation day.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the list @Mary Beth. I will look about ordering stuff after I see what's in my kit.

I have a US mailing address that ships to Jamaica. As long as the stuff are under USD50 I am not charged customs duty so I have that option too. 

I'm very relieved that everything is sorted out now. Strangely I don't feel sleepy! Wish they had given me sleeping tablets. But I am on 4 meds already. 

• HearPeers Heroes

WHOO HOO, you're getting your Rondo2!  That's great news. 

I hope you can sleep soon.  I don't recall having any trouble with that, but there can be discomfort around the surgical site.  I remember rolling over on my right side and immediately rolling back.

Good news @Jewel, I'm also glad that your recovery is going well. I also couldn't sleep very well the first night as expected, mostly because the side I have mi CI is the one I use more when sleeping. So I'm going to smile after my next surgery during my sleep :) 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I hardly napped today. I combed my hair for the first time since surgery and it sounded very loud! Is my CI working already? Lol! Maybe it's the bandage and the fact that my implanted ear is covered up. 

Hopefully I sleep well tonight. 

@Daniel the Strangerhow long before you were up and about? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Whoa, @Jewel - they implanted your "good" ear, right?  And you still have your residual natural hearing?  That's excellent.  That's what I'm hoping for second time around!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes they did my better ear. I don't know if I have retained all my residual hearing cos I'm not hearing the aeroplanes as much as I did before I went for surgery. But I have been able to understand my family in conversations and I just scratched my neck and I heard it loud! Guess I will know for sure on activation day when they test my ears before activation. 

I am just learning that my operation was about 4 hours. Isn't that extremely long? How long was yours? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

I hardly napped today. I combed my hair for the first time since surgery and it sounded very loud! Is my CI working already? Lol! Maybe it's the bandage and the fact that my implanted ear is covered up. 

Hopefully I sleep well tonight. 

@Daniel the Strangerhow long before you were up and about? 

@Jewel, next day I went with my wife to do the groceries. Of course I was walking slower than usual, not bending my knees, etc. After a week I was back at work. Easy peasy for me.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

Yes they did my better ear. I don't know if I have retained all my residual hearing cos I'm not hearing the aeroplanes as much as I did before I went for surgery. But I have been able to understand my family in conversations and I just scratched my neck and I heard it loud! Guess I will know for sure on activation day when they test my ears before activation. 

I am just learning that my operation was about 4 hours. Isn't that extremely long? How long was yours? 

About that, @Jewel - maybe more like three and a half.  It can vary.  Different people have different anatomies and the surgeon has to navigate a lot of nerves and whatnot.  Better they were careful!

• HearPeers Heroes

My first surgery was four hours with the extra complications. The second was 2 hours so it varies for anatomies for sure. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Yes I feel pretty good today. No pain and I haven't taken painkillers since yesterday. I just feel a little dizzy if I get out of bed too quickly. Hopefully the worst is over! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel it sure sounds like the worst is over!  Are you anxious to get home for a while?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I wish I were home right now. Being holed up at a hotel is no fun. Its raining cats and dogs down here in Miami.

Maybe I should venture out tomorrow but my mom wants me to stay put. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - yes, hotels can get really dull really fast.  Maybe you can take a short walk?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I hope the temporary dizziness goes away soon.  When do you return home?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I fly home September 1. Post op appointment is on Wednesday so I hope the surgeon sticks to the original clearance he gave me.